iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minded

Started by ARKANSAWYER, June 26, 2010, 03:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

When I logged in to FF there was a photo of my old cant hook and a new Logrite cant hook.  I looked to find the photo but lost it.  What I did find was lots of photos of cant hooks.  Blue ones, green ones, silver ones, orange ones, and even pink ones!  I saw photos of people hanging off of them and cute girls modeling them.  I saw a bent one and China knock off ones.  But I did not find the photo I was looking for.  It just reminded me of the process of getting my hook.

Logrite was good to me and made me a hook.  Wonder how many of them they have sold in the last 5 years?  It is hard for me to remember how I got along with out it.  They had to change the name but it is still the best hook when you got real logs.  Now everyone wants to be an "ARKY" and carry the big hook.

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Just some of my favorite hook photos.

When your stick is this big, no one will make fun of you for wearing pink.

And when real men have real logs there is nothing like having a real cant hook to hang onto.  :D

ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I think just painting them ORANGE helped them sell more.

Here is Dave Mann with the very first "Pro-Sawyer Special".  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I've got one of those Arky Specials.  I'm too short and whimpy to take full advantage of it,  But my son Tom won't go to the woods without it.  We skid in tree length stems and he turns them while bucking.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sigidi

I recently bent the daylights out of my home made hook and am yet to replace it... speaking on that I might make put that on this weeks to do list...
Always willing to help - Allan

Tom

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 26, 2010, 07:36:11 PM
I think just painting them ORANGE helped them sell more.

Vending through Woodmizer and Stihl made orange a smart color, but I'm still fond of Logrite Blue because we on the Forestry Forum were instrumental in the fledgling company choosing that color.  That was a fun period when Kevin and Tammy involved us in their entrepreneurship.  :)

paul case

i use a old OLD wooden handled hook. i didnt want to spend as much as they wanted for a new handle so i found a hickory sprout about the rite size and wa la. a redneck handle.  after 2 years it still has the bark on it . pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

btw
i wouldnot hang upside down on mine even if it was guaranteed . pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

WH_Conley

I have 2 of the mill specials. I have saved enough money on handles that the hook are free at this point.
Bill

Mooseherder

I have a Red Mill Special that has only been used in the Woods so far.
Until the Mill is operational it will be used to move logs. :)

Captain

Can't get along without the big A.S.S. (that's Arkansawyer Super Stick folks).

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

That's the thing Captain, once you get one you just can not believe you lived with out it.
  I used to make my handles out of dogwood and they were tough but I have not broken a LOGRITE since I have gotten one.  The dogwood handles were free except for the fitting time.  Sure saves me a lot of fitting time.  Plus I can leave these out in the weather and not worry about the wooden handle.
ARKANSAWYER

bugdust

I just can't seem to give up my OLD wooden handle cant hooks. Everytime I use them I'm remined of the old gas well riggers/drillers wrestling those big timbers around. I got lucky about 20 years ago when we began shutting down the drilling department and moving to another location, but things like the hand pump, cant hooks, and sky hooks went home with me. I'm sure there will come a day when I move on to the cute blue and orange handles, but for now just let me reminisce and pull my guts out with the old timers.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

paul case

can i change my tune here?

i thought i better try 1 since they came so highly recomended. it works so much better than the old one. there is no comparison. i figured it must have a longer handle or something but nope same length. just works a lot better .thanks. pc
pc

SwampDonkey

I have two (peaveys). Gave a third away as a door prize.  ;D

I have no pic, but I moved a very heavy 20+" 10' long spruce log. Thank goodness it was on a downhill cant. That sucker was heavy.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weisyboy

they aint cant hooks this is a cant hook.

i couldnt buy a decent one.  so i made some.

this is make 3. the others would bend or twist, these are 2" square 1/4" wall SHS at the bottom and 1 1/2" x 1/4" wall pipe for the handle.

the hook is 12mm plate with a hardened point.

the one in the pic has a hook i cut out  with the oxy, but i get 10 hooks plasma cut since then, they have also had a nice coat of blue paint.

the are adjustable and will roll a log from 10" up to over 5' and iv tried it on every size.
2 of us can roll a 4 ton log with them. i can hook the ute to them and put them on a tree and they dont bend.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

northwoods1

Boy, those handles on them hooks don't look like they have much flex to them! That is hard to believe wonder what there made out of are they heavy?
I just use old/antique hooks of many different shapes & forms but I have none that I would hang on like that :o

SwampDonkey

Aluminum I believe.  ;D Just as light as hardwood. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 10, 2010, 09:45:19 AM
Aluminum I believe.  ;D Just as light as hardwood. ;)
they are lighter. my handle is hickory and the logrite is 1/2 the weight of my old bess. pc
pc

SwampDonkey

I suppose.  ;) I don't find them any lighter than ash. I don't know how many ft3 of aluminum is used in a handle. Aluminum is 169.344 lbs/ft3 and 12 % MC hickory is 50 lbs/ft3. Again depends on how it's constructed, hollow or not, length, diameter, taper, all the usual stuff. ;)

Magicman

I wonder what kind of Hickory old Savage used on this one  ???

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I dunno, but I just got done limbing and severing a 21" (but end-which was above DBH while on the stump) spruce in the back yard. Left a 14 foot section and rolled it up on a couple slabs so as to be able to wrap chain on the but end. Used my Logrite peavey to get her spun off the rotten but after I had cut most of the splintered mess through with the saw and then rolled it up on them slabs. Then dropped a smaller spruce over the top, limbed it and swung it cantilever style on to bigger log to be able to chain that to. The smaller one had the top snapped off. I planted that thing 25 years ago, has a 12" but, and after I cut it I see red rot in all the heart.  :-\ My friend said they get inoculated at a young age, here's proof. That tree was not over topped and had lots of crown. That old rotten but of the big'n just exploded and crimped like a beer can when the wind took it. ;D

That's my Husky 55, sorry no Efco this time. ;)

I'm going to stop in to the neighbors after work tomorrow and see if they need some OWB firewood. ;D

I also have a serious situation with a yard maple. It is eaten away by fungus at the base and the whole top is live crown. I bet at least half that but is mush. It's beside the power lines and just within reach of the corner of the house. It's got a large girth, at least 30" dbh diameter, but maybe 75 feet tall as an estimate. Next years firewood, at least the first 2 cord. :D

Thank You Sponsors!