iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Computer ?

Started by Papa1stuff, June 05, 2018, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

I need to resize a JPG picture from129mb down to 1mb.
I have tried and read and tried and read some more ,but can't get it down to 1mb.

I bet there is someone on here that can explain how to do it so this old man can get it done before I destroy my computer ;D

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

lxskllr

That's quite a large jpg. I don't work with images much, but I would do it in gimp...

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

I'm on my phone, so the exact location of menu items may be a bit off.

Open the photo in gimp, expand [Image] menu button, then select Scale. I'm guessing this photo's ginormous, and you'll want to make it more normal sized. There's two ways to do it, by percentage, and by pixels. I typically do it by pixels. Keep the chains linked on the side so the aspect ratio stays the same, then change the x dimension to something reasonable; maybe 1024, 1280, 1920... whatever. just smaller, then click scale, and your photo will get physically smaller.

Then you'll go to the [File] menu, and select Export. Pick that, then export as a jpg, and give it a new name to prevent overwriting the orginal. Once you select a location and name, it'll offer a "quality" level, with the default at 90 I believe. You'll want to play around with this. I don't know how much you can get away with. Maybe start with 20, export the photo, then open it in a viewer to see how it looks, and what the size is. Adjust from there. lower gives worse quality/smaller sizes, higher is better quality/larger size. If you don't like the result, reopen the original, and start over with different settings.

That's a huge photo(I don't think I've ever seen a jpg that big), and your computer may struggle with it. It could even be impossible :shrugs:  If you have any issues, I can help later(probably evening). If the photo isn't sensitive, you could upload it to a file locker, and I could try it myself.

Papa1stuff

I didn't put the right letters down -----not 129mb but 129kb is the right letters.
That needs to downsize to 1mb

clearcut

129 kb (kilobytes) is 0.129 mb (megabytes) it's already smaller than a mb. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Papa1stuff

Thanks guys for the help ,but nothing I did worked ,and finally decided that it wasn't worth the time for a free flashlight . ;D ;D

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!