iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DonP's ID quiz for July 31th solved

Started by Tom, July 31, 2002, 01:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I can't tell if its a crocagator or what for all that blackjack or sassafrass brush.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

You gotta walk carefully 'round that stuff....don't know what you'll find.  

They're both pretty common Oaks, but not Blackjack.

CHARLIE

1.Water Oak (AKA: Possum oak, Spotted oak, Quercus nigra Linnaeus)

2. Laurel Oak (AKA: Laurel-leaved oak, Darlington oak, Swamp laurel oak, Quercus laurifolia Michaux)

Note to Tom: There are 2 separate trees listed as BlackJack Oak.

A) Blackjack Oak (AKA: Barren oak, Jack Oak, Quercus marilandica Muenchhausen).  This tree has leaves that look very much like example one.
B) Emory Oak (AKA: Black Oak, Blackjack Oak, Quercus emoryi Torrey).  This tree has leaves completely different than example one.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

CHARLIE

Cripes Tom! At least tell me which one I got right.  :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Ya got 1 right, charlie.......1.....one..... :D :D

CHARLIE

If 2 isn't Laurel oak, then I don't know what it is.  Could it be Southern Red Oak?? :P ::)
Charlie

Tom

Nope, nope.   Thanksgiving is a hint

CHARLIE

Charlie

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Ha.  Your mind runs toward food the same as mine does, Don.

CHARLIE

Cripes again big brother..... >:(  You said the I.D. was solved but you didn't tell us what the right answer was.  Turkey Oak or Cranberry Oak.  I ain't ne'er heard o' neither.... ::)
Charlie

Tom

I wrote it on the picture on the first post, charlie.  You were right, it's Turkey Oak.  See those leaves that look like turkey feetses?

Turkey oak in florida is different than this picture but I found sites that list different oaks with the common name "turkey oak". This may be a different red oak than I am familiar with......   (with which I am familiar. :P)

http://www.fl-dof.com/Pubs/trees_of_florida/turkeyoak.html
http://www.nobleplants.com/classnotes/fall/quercuskey.htm

I would have been tempted to have called #2 laurel oak too.  Young trees of the red oaks sometimes produce some strangely lobed leaves.  I've seen some here that look like northern red oak.  As the tree matures, the leaves tend to becomes more definable to their species.  Why?  I dunno.

Thank You Sponsors!