iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you'all as slow as me (work)

Started by Ed_K, October 07, 2012, 07:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

I had to take a construction job to pay the bills. No timber sales coming in.It took me 5 hrs this weekend to catch up here with all the post,so I'm thinking you'all are seeing a real slow down too.
Ed K

c_silva88

it seems to come and go lately for me one week i got more fire wood orders then i can handle then the next 2 weeks not a single call luckly ive been able to sell a log load a week
MS660
MS290

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It's been a little slow on lumber sales. It's like this every year beginning in October. But this gives me a chance to saw up a good inventory giving my lumber time to air dry without molding in this cool weather.
Things will pick up Ed. Sounds like you have other talents to fall back on, and that's good.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

No doubt about it, one needs to cut ties, flooring, firewood, and rake yards for lil ole ladies.  unless one has a contract with a big order that pays. and logs coming in that are consistant, for all of the above, or you are retired and have a great pension or retirement that covers the bills for the in between jobs. Staying steading in whatever you do, and making more than you spend is the trick in about everything these days.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Autocar

For me the saw log and pallet market has been pretty strong everything you cut theres a home for it somewhere. Ive got some veneer walnut on the yard but haven't tried to sell it yet I would like to get the final four I have to add to the pile. Iam sure its a worry for you and your family a fellow just has to forge ahead with what ever comes along. I sure hope things turn around for you, but maybe after the election we all will be in that boat.
Bill

Mark K

I've been steady up till the past two weeks but that is mainly because of the weather. I guess the hardwood sawlog markets are getting a little spongy now. But they should firm back up, not much stock in the mill yards around here. I mainly contract cut. Pays a little less but I haven't had any real downtime in four years.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Blue Sky

Hi Ed,  Things are slow here on the other side of the river.  Seems like everybody around here had the same idea last year about packing in the sellable firewood.  I am hearing prices of $185 for seasoned hardwood.  I won't sell for less than $250.00, given the fact that the dollar buys so much less now.  Wait till you see what $30 k does to my old fowarder.

Corley5

I've got lots of work.  I've got about 80 cords of firewood on order.  I just finished one real estate cut and am on another.  The prescription is to cut everything 6" in diam on the stump and larger.  It's about 100 acres but is mostly small saw bolts and pulp.   Doesn't leave much but that's what they want.  I bought a 183 acre State sale in the early summer because it's a mile from my house plus I've got a 20 acre aspen clearcut with a 5 acre hardwood thinning along with some work to do on my own property as part of my EQUIP contract and the owners of the 10 acres next to me want something done.  We're also doing a 3.5 acre/2000 vine vineyard installation.  We would have finished with the trellis posts Friday but the owner expanded it so we had to order more posts.  Plenty busy.  My issue has been getting paid.  Had to take in some trades to get paid for some firewood  :-\ and then took what I recieved to the local consignment auction for a quick flip.  Haven't gotten the check from that to see how I came out  :-\  I also need to get about 850 of my own trellis posts in the ground for my own vineyard expansion next spring.  Winter's coming fast :)
  The only thing I've had some issues with moving are 100" basswood sawbolts.  I had to sit on 40 cords of them for three weeks before we found them a home.  We quit cutting small basswood in the meantime but moved a train load of them last week without a problem.   Mill are clamouring for hardwood bolts and logs and the hardwood pulp market is strong even if it doesn't pay that well.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Ed,I suppose you mean the logging buisness? I have a logger coming on to do some cutting. I will take a beating on it,so will he,we split the money. Buy I have to do it. Logs are moving if you want to give it away.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I talk to loggers every day, it is the same ole same ole, prices going down, or staying the same while fuel is going up. Not a big deal, always a up and down cycle, but the travel time and mileage is increasing as well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

I've got tons of work, but it don't pay. And I work real slow.  :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lynde37avery

i got plenty this time of year here in Colrain MA. running my old franklin. again i also am right across the river from ya Ed. blue sky's my neighbor {howdy} working the cider at pine hill orchard is my main business in the fall plus selling as much firewood as i can along side uncle Chuck. keep ya head up as far above water as we can. things will turn up good in the end.
Detroit WHAT?

clww

Hang in there, Ed_K! It will come back around. Waiting for it is one of the hardest things, I'm sure.
I started selling some firewood down in VA Beach to offset the price of gas when I head down there from the cabin every 5 or 6 days.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Price of primary wood is the biggest thing here. Everyone will sit it out unless they are money hungry when the wood prices dip. The forest companies are harvesting right along off public land while woodlot owners sit it out. Too much pulp on the market because a lot of pulp mills closed up. What do you do with all the pulpwood when you cut logs? Thus no harvesting on woodlots. I have seen cords of pulpwood sitting on woodlots all summer. Nobody wants to work for nothing for long. There was a little small lot down the road that was cut and it took weeks to finally clean it up, well there is still a small pile of pulpwood sitting there. It was high graded leaving all the lesser species like tamarack and the open spots are now solid with aspen suckers 5 feet high. A cousin lives there and it doesn't look good around his yard. Plus I think the power company had to fix the lead in wire to the house because of the harvesting and felling techniques used. ;) The woods is another owner, he just has a house lot. The driveway is on a right of way, so the trucks tore it up good to. Now you have these 60 foot tamarack opened up swaying in the heavy wind as a blow down hazard to the house and wires.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!