iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

the only deaths related to a toilet paper shortage will be people killing each other!  We must promote calm and kindness by example! :)

Toilet paper - Wikipedia

I buy dish soap, laundry soap and TP for my shop separate from my wife's stores for the home.  that way we always have extra, the key is to remember to get extra next time at the store after my wife raids my supply.   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Eventually everyone will be quarantined to their houses with no sports to watch, and in 9 months there will be a baby boom.  :o  We could call those babies coronials.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Now that is funny, and probably will be true.   smiley_love
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

But I am stocking up diesel. If I can't leave The Hill, than I am working in the woods. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

I think it is smart to stock up on things you need.  even if things are available, prices are sure to go up with the panic.  increased demand exceeding or nearing the limits of production.  this is why we and leaders need to be careful what they say.  It may have unintended consequences like people being assaulted while fighting over TP.  the key is to do this always.  If a big event hits, there will be not time to prepare after the event.  I always have a few cases of spam, and dry goods, on shelves in my shop.  we have a well for water ect.

DMcCoy

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2020, 08:12:49 AM
But I am stocking up diesel. If I can't leave The Hill, than I am working in the woods.
I filled my farm tanks last week, same idea, I can always work in the woods.  Fuel in the tank or money in the bank as I always say.  Price was way lower than at the station which surprised me.  Crude oil is gyrating wildly, a little too wildly imho.
Stories are the stores are still getting hammered.  Costco meats mostly out except high end stuff. Lots of empty shelves, everywhere.  Stores closing early and hiring extra people to stock shelves.  Oregon got it's first death yesterday.

dgdrls

Early social distancing,  effective and inexpensive. 
Gunnison, Colorado: The Town That Dodged the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic

Keep washing and take-care, 
I'm certain we can minimize the damage with common sense and strong action.

D

DMcCoy

Quote from: dgdrls on March 15, 2020, 10:31:44 AM
Early social distancing,  effective and inexpensive.  
Gunnison, Colorado: The Town That Dodged the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic

Keep washing and take-care,  
I'm certain we can minimize the damage with common sense and strong action.

D
+1

DMcCoy

Doc Henderson,
Sorry, more questions.
If either my wife or I come down with this virus what steps do we take?
I take for granted the cover your cough, wash your hands, tossing keleenex.
Other thoughts...
Moving into a separate bedroom or even building?
Healthy person donning a respirator?
Daily washing of bedding?
Multi- times per day disinfecting wipe down of commonly touched surfaces?

Just curious,  I want to think ahead a little.
Thanks,
D

Wood Shed

Heading out to walk in the Sonora desert sunshine for my daily routine.  Walked everyday last week even though it rained four days in a row here (yes it does rain in the desert).  Trying to celebrate national MS week the best way I know, keep moving forward.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Sedgehammer

Quote from: DMcCoy on March 15, 2020, 10:45:09 AM
Doc Henderson,
Sorry, more questions.
If either my wife or I come down with this virus what steps do we take?
I take for granted the cover your cough, wash your hands, tossing keleenex.
Other thoughts...
Moving into a separate bedroom or even building?
Healthy person donning a respirator?
Daily washing of bedding?
Multi- times per day disinfecting wipe down of commonly touched surfaces?

Just curious,  I want to think ahead a little.
Thanks,
D
I'm not Doc, but here's a few things to keep in mind. If one of you has it, you both do, as whoever has it, will have been shedding it long before you have symptoms. In your own home, I don't think it pays to disinfect everything in your own home continually, as it's only your family there. Now coming home from work while being exposed to other workers, that's a different matter. Leave all your clothes in a separate building and if possible, wash them in a separate building. If you can't, then bag them and bring them in to be washed. Leave shoes in a separate building away from cats and dogs that you'll be exposed to. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

there are a couple of points.  The majority of people who bet it, are asymptomatic and or have mild cold symptoms.  If you have contact with someone who tested positive, you may be asked to self quarantine.  If I had a bad exposure at work, I would wear a mask at home if I developed a cough.  Health care folks are at increased risk cause that is where the sick people go.  good hand washing and avoid touching mucus membranes where the virus can take hold (eyes, nose, mouth).  Only go to the hospital if you are really sick (not just the sniffles) short of breath, fever (temp over 101 unless you are immuno-compromised, then 100.4)  I agree that if you and your wife are together often, and have "close contact"  kissing ect.  you will prob. both be exposed, but still one may get sick and the other not.  all of the stuff mentioned is to slow the spread, and reduce the number sick at anyone time.  there is no specific treatment.  the ARDS is treated with symptomatic care up to and including ventilation if needed.  It will come down to your underlying health, and prev. exposure (IMHO) to other viruses in the family.  We still do not know how infectious it is and the mortality rate, without checking everyone.  they may be able to check antibody titers retrospectively.
I was told this am, that a soldier attended a funeral and had contact with many.  2 of our staff are now self quarantined not sick.  The military bases can deal easier than the general population.  but then I may loose my military docs.  

doc henderson

so I went to Walmart to get some veggies and stock up on a few things, that can keep.  only 50 cars in the lot, usually 100s.  A lady looked amused and said she now understood what it was like for her parents during WWII.  I laughed and told her this is no where as bad as they had it.  Picked up donuts for my daughter who is now on a 2 week spring break, and shook hands with and did a little man hug with a scout dad who has also been a patient in the past.  It may all break loose soon, but I am still more worried about people panicking, than the virus itself!  good luck to all.  

doc henderson

@DMcCoy If one of you is symptomatic, the sick one can wear a mask to knock down large droplets laden with virus due to cough.  The virus is not alive, but if remains intact, and viable, it can persist for some time on certain surfaces.  it is a packet of DNA, made with amino acids ( i.e. protein) that is denatured (destroyed)  with many solvents or heat.  bleach, alcohol.  this is why meat changes color when cooked and no longer functions.  wash you hands for 20 seconds they say with soap and water.  you can use alcohol based sanitizers if available.  use the sanitize setting for wash that can tolerate it, and or bleach.  I wash all my scrubs, jeans, socks, and undies on sanitize.  If you are sick, call you Doc.  Better to not show up.  We are preparing to restrict visitors at our hospital, and it will make some people mad who are used to doing what ever they want.  you will prob. both have been exposed, so you can sleep in different rooms and do the 6 foot stuff, and clean what you can as often as you can.  do not let people in that have cancer, are on chemo or steroids, have severe chronic illness.  these are the people we will more likely loose.  

doc henderson

We are being cautioned if we have to put a breathing tube in a patient,  this is now very dangerous for the doc.  your face and eyes are in the face of the sick patient, and the procedure can make them cough.  we are being told use drugs to immobilize the patient and full PPE.  we are suppose to use inhalers instead of the nebulizers, so we do not suspend the virus in the air.  We also can use a glide scope that puts the view on a screen and does not require us to look down the back of the throat.

DMcCoy

Doc Henderson,
Thanks for all the information.  We are both fine so far.
Luckily I have many projects, mostly outdoors in the fresh air.

Sedgehammer

Lots of fresh air and vitamin D is hard to beat. 

SwampDonkey

Just came in from my 4 mile fresh air and vitamin D exposure walk. Boy is that north wind cold. No sap today, just the facts. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

My quarterly blood draw which would have also included my PSA score was scheduled for tomorrow am.....cancelled/postponed.  I suppose that anything other than an emergency will not be done.  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I think schools and Universities are closed two weeks (not campus residence) here now starting tomorrow. A lot of other stuff locking down to such as sports.

Whole list of stuff here:

Maritime closures and cancellations due to COVID-19 concerns | CTV News

Trudeau may also shut down all border crossings to travellers. So be aware. The Prime Minister said that supply chains are not disrupted.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

from the CDC if you are sheltered at home with suspected or confirmed COVID 19

Sedgehammer

Website not allowed/Website not allowed/health/covid-19-sun-lesson-1918-influenza-pandemic[/url]

That fresh air and sunshine medicine I was talking about......

wesdor

Thanks for all the great information. My wife and I are both over 70 and are "sheltering in place". I normally go to a woodworking club every Monday (only about 10 of us) but will stay home this week and probably next. 

We went to church this morning and it was announced that there would be no services of any kind for at least two weeks and we would reassess before starting again.  

I've talked to friends who went shopping yesterday and they report paper product shortages. I don't understand this panic buying. Thankfully we have a freezer full of food - may have to eat more steaks since we get beef a full steer at a time. 

We worry about local mom and pop restaurants and other businesses. Perhaps a good option is to purchase online gift cards where available- that gives the business instant money and we can cash in once this clears up.  

All schools, bars, restaurants, and most public events are cancelled here in Illinois. 

We should all keep a good diary of what is happening- people will want to know how this all worked out when they look back 50 years from now.

I heard someone say, "if we all stay home and Nothing happens, that is what we hoped for. I hope that is exactly what happens. 

loghorse

well l hope jeff don't kick this on e. i am down here in az,along colorado river.alot of canadian snowbirds down here. they were notified by their health insurance company that they have 5 days to come back across border,or insurance is canceled. for you that don't know ,when they come down they must buy a policy(don't know can or us)of health ins while they are down here.9 couples in park next door leaving mon or tues.others are leavingin just the two other parks i've talked to.can any canadians shed light on this.oh ya no refund on rent paid till april 1.  thanks

SwampDonkey

Yep, I believe the fresh air and sun thing. There is an air exchanger and air filter on the fan for virus and bacteria and the humidifier has filter and water treatment for the little unseen bugs. Plus 2 or 3 windows open most of the day during sunlight. The sun and windows generate enough heat that we don't even burn wood during sunny days, just a morning smudge. But them windows are up and exchanging air. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!