iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP ?'s on drying, etc

Started by hillbillyhogs, May 10, 2013, 08:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyhogs

Keep in mind that I'm a YANKEE, (LOL)  , I've built with syp floor joists, trusses, etc. but not anything else. 

I've located 3000bf of 5/4 syp that has been air drying for one (1) year. After I get this stuff home should I get it in the kiln to kill the bugs and "set the pitch" (pitch I know NOTHING about, btw). It'll be a subfloor of sorts.

THANKS

jimF

Putting it in a kiln to bring down the MC and even out the MC gradient would be good.  And set the pitch if the temperature of the kiln is high enough.  Unless it is radially cut, it will cup and create a rippled floor.  it will also shrink and swell causing gaps and ripples.  Plywood would be better for subflooring. SYP could be used for millwork or cabinet material.

hillbillyhogs

More or less we're taking a step back in time with the board subfloor. Plywood is far easier no doubt about that.
It's a commercial kiln I have do my drying so temp isn't a problem.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Hillbillyhogs,

Well there is a lot here on the FF about floors and subfloors, you could just go to my posts alone and get a plethora of them.  Not to counter JimF. but if done correctly (even with green wood, which is what I work in almost exclusively) you will not get cupping and/or rippling of any magnitude.  As a traditional Timberwright and builder/designer/restorer of vintage architectural fabric, I can tell you that plywood is a very new thing and not that necessary at all.  I don't use the stuff much, unless it is salvage or an odd lot auction purchase.  You sound like you have a plan, and I think you will be fine with it.  It being a conifer, not to much worry about the "buggies" unless the logs sat unmilled with the bark on for an extended period?  Even then, you should be just fine for a good old fashion "dust boarding" (aka sub floor)  Let me know if I can provide any additional info?

Regards, 

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Magicman

SYP is the only species used on this project Cabin Addition that is the General Woodworking board.  The actual flooring is the only material that was kd. 

The subflooring is 1X6 which was not even planed to insure uniform thickness.  The last post shows where I "scrub sanded" to remove any possible high points before laying the flooring.  (actually this step was not necessary)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

If it's been air drying for a year, it's likely below the 19% MC of most construction lumber. Using it as a subfloor, I wouldn't be concerned with setting the pitch.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

hillbillyhogs

Thanks

How bout the bug issues. See I'm used to northeastern wood and didn't want to make a big mistake

Thank You Sponsors!