iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats Fuel Prices In Your Area?

Started by GF, July 08, 2005, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Quote from: beenthere on November 02, 2007, 01:24:04 PM
Greg
Buy a lot of the regular....dat's a great price... ;D ;D ;D     but maybe 3.299, and wishful thinkin it was 2.299 :) :)

I was dreamin'  :(  :'(   ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

solodan

Timburr

$3.09,  $3.39,  $1.06/l,  $3.05/gal,  $2.799,  3.09$,  $3.17,  $3.29/gal,  3.41$,  HUH ?!?!

You folks ought to be rejoicing with the second cheapest fuel on the planet! ;)

What would you think, paying $7.63/gall. for basic 97 at the pump? :o ::)
Sense is not common

WILDSAWMILL

id saddle my horse if it goes to $4. a gal
diesel was .11 a gal when i started driving today i paid $3.20
my labor income  hasnt gone up that much
Kascosaw2B

LOGDOG

$3.29 / Gallon for diesel and $2.85 / Gallon for reg unleaded yesterday. RIDICULOUS!!! What's driving the cost of oil per barrel up to record highs right now? I know they say "supply and demand" but what's putting the extra demand on the supply right now?

LOGDOG

cantcutter

Quote from: Timburr on November 03, 2007, 07:03:54 AM
$3.09,  $3.39,  $1.06/l,  $3.05/gal,  $2.799,  3.09$,  $3.17,  $3.29/gal,  3.41$,  HUH ?!?!

You folks ought to be rejoicing with the second cheapest fuel on the planet! ;)

What would you think, paying $7.63/gall. for basic 97 at the pump? :o ::)

We know, but we still like to complain. Also I think we average alot more miles per year than most people over there.
I payed 2.09 per gallon here in kentucky to fill the car a few days ago and yesterday when I went to fill the mill it was 2.98. The price isn't what gets me as much as the constant fluxuation.... if they want to charge me 10.00 a gallon for gas than so be it, but please leave it there so I can get used to that price.

The price per barrel is driven by the stock market and has nothing to do with supply and demand.....its all predictions that traders are making and the suppliers capitalize on. The price started to climb at the beginning of the war because traders surmised that fuel was going to cost more because #1 production in Iraq would cease. #2 the war machine would be drawing from supply. that started the climb and then other investors saw the chance to make money and jumped on the oil band wagon....now we pay 3.00 per gallon for gas and diesel is refined less and now costs us even more.

customsawyer

Diesel went from $3.05/gal last week to $3.28/ gal this week.

I think that it is odd the number of people that complain about gas but don't have a concern in the world about diesel. Yet everything they buy now days has got a fuel surchage on it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sawguy21

I don't pay much attention to diesel because I don't use it. My buddy the transport driver sure does though and I pay through the cost of the goods he hauls. :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

It is just human nature for folks to only concern themselves with things they can see and feel.  Coal prices are not much of a concern for me, because I don't buy any, but they have an effect on my because some of my electricity is generated by it.

Cantcutter sort of stole my thunder with his explanation of the price fluxuations, and probably explained it better than I could.  I sometimes wonder what things would be like if we didn't have the Futures markets.  I know that they keep most things more stable in the long run, but they sometimes seem to inhibit free enterprise, too.  I also wonder how deeply the people who speculate there are imbedded in the transportation industry.  Are they shuttling commodities about all over the country just so they can get an even bigger piece of the pie?  The roads are clogged with JB Hunts and Schneiders and Werners, all hauling something somewhere, just be be hauled somewhere else, later.  Or is all of this just something developing in my own mind as I become more and more of an old fart?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

Diesel hit 3.559 here yesterday  :'( :'(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

Lots of things get factored into oil prices.  But, we have had a rapidly falling dollar in the past couple of years.  That has helped drive up oil prices.  While our costs were rising, Europe was fairly stable.

The recent push has also been the industrialization of the third world.  They sell more cars in India than they do in the US.  Guess there might be some demand there that wasn't just 10 years ago. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Timburr

Quote from: cantcutter on November 04, 2007, 08:04:49 AM
Also I think we average alot more miles per year than most people over there.

Maybe.    Whilst your country is considerably larger than the UK, our hauliers are still driving for the same time duration per day , they just have multiple drop-offs, instead of a one drop.   Our sawmills and other off-road machinary is still running at 'x' ammount of hours.

The average mileage of a person in a year is in excess of 20,000.    Although granny only burns up 1,500 miles in a year, she is averaged out in the annual mileage by truckers, reps and the like, who drive more than 200,000 miles.
I know many people, who commute for more than 4 hours to and from work daily.

Crude price, I agree, is definately governed by the futures market, but there are other contributing factors.   In it's hunger for capitalism, industrial China's (and India) demand for fuel is rising exponentially.

Ron beat me to the third world industrialization point.
Sense is not common

cantcutter

I was talking about just average everyday driving....Truck drivers (haulage contactors) here will run 500,000-1.000,000 miles per year easy. I used to drive locally around town and would run 50k per year just in a 20 square mile city. My wife an I put 20k per year on each of our three vehicles.

Furby

Just so you folks know, it's pretty hard to do much over 120k miles a year as a trucker.
100k-110k is a pretty good average.
It was easy at one time, many years ago, but with todays regs, not as easy.
Some drivers that may have a near perfect run all year long may do more, but I can tell you for a fact that no single driver is putting on a half million miles a year, that pure myth!

As a driver DanG, I don't see things being moved around the country needlessly.
I see consumers wanting what they can't get near them and paying for it to be shipped.
Don't matter if we are talking about shipping a pick up truck, or a package of popcorn.

LOGDOG

Everything is affected by supply and demand. You can say that it's brokers on Wall Street jockeying futures but take away the buyers (us) and consumption and watch the price fall. The same happens with lumber, homes, steel - you name it. Does anyone remember back in the late 80's when the truckers all went on strike? I remember going through Duluth, MN and seeing semis parked for miles on the side of the road. Seems to me it might be time again. Although, as a point of interest - railroad stocks are doing well these days.

LOGDOG

DanG

Yeah, half a million would be a bit of a stretch.  That would be over 1300 miles per day if ya drove 365 days a year!  Even James couldn't do that! :D :D

B-b-b-but Furby, what about all the stores that truck passes while taking that stuff to the distribution center?  It all has to be shipped back down the same road to those stores.  Now I know it wouldn't be efficient business for Walmart's bottom line, but speaking purely from a fuel consumption standpoint, it would be more economical to drop-ship the merchandise from the manufacturer or POE, directly to the stores via common carrier.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Not when you look at volume of material moved vs amount of fuel consumed.

Wally World, Home Depot, ect. are only getting a half pallet of this and a pallet of that and maybe two pallets of that at each store.
How many suppliers does Wally World have?
Drop shipped from all the suppliers would mean THOUSANDS of trucks pulling in and out of EVERY Wally World, EVERY DAY.

Having said that, I've personlly picked up a load of pallets in Central NY, and hauled them back to OH.
Seems like some waste, someplace in that trip, cept for the fact that I would have been driving back to OH empty at about the same fuel mileage if it wasn't for the backhaul.

cantcutter

Quote from: DanG on November 04, 2007, 09:29:57 PM
Yeah, half a million would be a bit of a stretch.  That would be over 1300 miles per day if ya drove 365 days a year!  Even James couldn't do that! :D :D

Maybe a little strech for one person ;D But I see plenty of 1 and 2 year old tractors on ebay with 500K on them.... Alot of big outfits are running teams now....and there is also plenty of log fudging going on.... I have been told to drive over 24 hrs straight before... one reason I am getting out of trucking is because the companies can't play by the rules.

sawguy21

That is a big issue with the truckers here. Some are running with 4 'drivers' , two in the sleeper. Only two actually drive but they all fill in the log book.  >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timburr

Our fuel price remained a constant for 6 months, but at the turn of the year, pump prices rose by 8.25%.  It's currently costing 105.9 pence per litre at the forecourt.  smiley_British_jack  And if you really want to know, that equates to $7.88/US gallon!!  >:(
Sense is not common

sherwood

Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

stonebroke

breederman

stonebroke, you need to "go west young man" ;) we have ben at 3.19 for 3 weeks, 3.16 on tuesdays as it is 3 cent off day in Unadilla.
Together we got this !

CLL

Gas up again today $2.92, the killer is almost everything I own is diesel at $3.29 gallon.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Furby

Oil closed at over $100 a barrel today.
Calling for prices at the pump to hit $3.60 for reg. unlead, possibly yet this week.
The refinery that blew up is where they are placing blame. The news report said it could take two months to get it running again.
Our prices jumped to $3.19 today.

Thank You Sponsors!