iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your firewood business

Started by WoodBros, December 18, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBros

Those who own firewood businesses, i wanted to get and idea of what equiptment everyone is running and how long they have been in the business? I will start

1 year in business, 30 cords/year
Husky 22 ton splitter
MS 291 & MS 190
12 foot single axel trailer
And of course my 1998 chevy 2500 long bed

-Wood Brothers

goose63

I been at a few year's Jred 2171 with 24 inch bar old 535 18 inch bar and a new 2250 18 inch bar
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

NWP

23 years. About 600 cords per year in addition to mulch production. My equipment is listed below.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Firewoodjoe

13 years largest the last three years. Processor loader splitter dump loader truck amd lots of saws. About 200-300 cord a year

highleadtimber16

Finally bought a splitter this summer! Love it! Surge-Master 20 ton. Made in Canada. Stihl MS 460. 28" bar. Perfect saw. I use my Dad's flat deck GMC 3500, has a dump. I average about 40 cords a year right now. I would really like to get to 100 next year. Wood supply is hard to keep consistent though  :-\
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

br389

5 yrs.. just got a processor last year.. tractor, 16' dump trailer, four saws, and a skidder..... About 350 cords a year

timberlinetree

Started 20yrs ago carrying  logs  off the row during break. We sell about 100 cords a year of split wood and many triaxle loads of log length.

Bilt right(brute) logspliter/conveyor
Tj 230 super e
F 450 dump
Husky/sthil saws

On the way
Franklin 132 forwarder

Dreaming about
Dump trailer
Firewood processer
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

goose63

Tried to post these last night the kid showed me how I think

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

rcanderson1968

Currently have: Stihl farm boss, super split splitter with electric motor, twister bundling machine, and a Toyota Tacoma truck.

Want: trailer, bigger saw, dry kiln, and firewood processor

We've been in business 2.5 years and will do about 25 to 30 cords (all sold as bundles) this year.  "like" our page on Facebook - google "Rip City Firewood"
"...It's a good rifle - and killed the bear that killed me.  Anyway I'm Dead.  Yours Truly, Hatchet Jack"

woodmills1

started 1986
sold 100 cord in 1995, bought woodmizer
sold 40 cord in 1996
no sold firewood till I bought the blue ox
sold log length till I bought Multitek
this year 90 cord cut split sold, +15 cord processed  for others, 26 cord for me

mutitek 1610EZ
stihl ms280, 066
2005 chevy 4500 dump
Payeur forester  Kioti DK40se  metavic log loader trailer
Blue Ox lil ox log trailer
tractor powered 3 point hitch splitter facing down for giant pieces
80's mighty murc splitter new motor, pump, valve and rebuilt piston
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodandtractors

Started part-time in 1981,worked up gradually to 100 cords/yr by 2000. Full-time since April 2008. Went over 500 cords for the first time this year.
2001 Timberwolf Pro-MX processor
2008 Chevy 3500HD Duramax dump
Timberwolf TW-5FC splitter with log lifter
1997 Case 1845C skidsteer with bucket,forks,power-angle Fisher plow
1980 Hyster P80 forklift
3 Husky saws
1 rugged helper
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

stamper

eager beaver processor, 24 ft elevator,1 delivery dump truck, 1 off road dump truck, log truck with loader, chain saw 35T manuel splitter. This just equipment specific to the firewood operation. Equipment from regular logging operation used when needed. 20 years, about 350 cords a year.  After comparing the profit vs hours worked I discontinued it.
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

treechopper40

I have a c5 treefarmer skidder a c50 chevy dump truck a prentice 150 log loader a dr rapid fire splitter a husky hydraulic splitter and a truck load of saws lol I do around 1500 face cords a year and have been in buisness just over 5 years
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

MaineFarmer

Been selling firewood for almost 10 years now. Started off in high school with a home made pulp dray (old truck frame and axel) pulled by a old john deere farm tractor, worked the wood 4ft length and then cut to stove length on a old cord wood saw powered by a 1951 JD model "M" tractor. Split everything with splitting axes. Delivered with flat bed one ton truck...  Lets just say doing 20+ cords this way I was always in shape for football season!

Current operation, John Deere 2355 JD with fransgard v4000, home made wood splitter 13hp honda, 22gpm (same specs as timber-wolf fast cycle splitter), two chainsaws husqvarna 365xt and 562xp saws. Delivery is done with a 91 F-450 dump truck. Current production is between 50-100 cord... Depends on how busy I get with other farm work and graduate school!
Husky
365 special
365 xt
562 xp

Stihl
044(2)

r.man

I don't know if it is one particular area or Europeans in general that process their firewood in longer lengths first, split as well and then cut to a finished length probably after it is dry but I don't know for sure. It would allow you to have stockpiled dry wood that could be quickly processed into varying lengths for market.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

lynde37avery

first season was 2008 sold for 2 seasons with my gmc 1500 pickup "half cord loads" 8-10 cord.
then was loaned a 1970 c40 dump truck.

every season the cord order adds up. i did 35 last season. this year might be well over 40 or even 50 cord.
few log truck loads of firewood sold. all on top of about 100-150 thou ft of saw logs and 500+ ton pulp a year.

mtd/yard man 25 ton customized "fast cycle" log splitter.
several saws, husky 55cc, jred 70cc, efco 65cc, jred 52cc
1985 c3500 dually dump
1970 franklin skiddder
Detroit WHAT?

CRThomas

Quote from: WoodBros on December 18, 2013, 07:20:07 PM
Those who own firewood businesses, i wanted to get and idea of what equiptment everyone is running and how long they have been in the business? I will start

Husky 22 ton splitter
MS 291 & MS 190
I have been in the firewood business can't remember it's been so long every area has different need so thru trial and erra have become a sold business. You will make mistakes and costly one till you find what your area customer needs are. And they are different believe me. The area I live in chew tobacco grow beards only burn oak across the river all my customers are all to feather different. Nothing against different type people but thats the way it is.

M Cook

Started again 5 yrs ago (after a 30 yr break). Every year we seem to be cutting less logs so to make up for that ( because our slasher sits next to our chipper and I wanted him to stay busy ), we started to pull firewood to process.  We only sell wood cut and split, no 8 ft, the first yr we sold just over 1000 face cords, last yr we did over 5000, we could easily sell 8-10,000 cords this yr, but we haven't been able to get enough from chip crew.  We have been chipping some large stands of 30-40 yr old aspen, the demand for debarked chips has been extremely high. We should end up selling between 6-7000 cords this yr.

Our firewood equipment includes :
Cord King 48, 6010 JD tractor with loader and frost bite grapple, shop built splitter made to split big clunkers for outdoor wood stoves,  HMC firewood tumblr, lots of chain saws.
Freightliner tandem axle truck with 18 ft box, hauls 10 plus face cords,
Ford F550 with 12 ft box, hauls 5 plus face cords.
Our yard also has a 100 x 56 ft concrete slab for wood storage, with 8 ft back wall.
Have two full time employees working firewood yard and everybody that's available to deliver wood.

Never dreamed it would grow to this, not sure I wanted it too but it's fun to do and brings in the extra money that were not getting from less log production.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

CRThomas

Husky 22 ton splitter
MS 291 & MS 190

My shop a/c and gas heat / my kiln / 250 ford / 350 gmc / 450 ford , tractor / fork lift / a tilt trailer / a dump trailer / just bought another 2 acres with a 30 by 40 concrete building on it and a 20 ft by 80 ft by 4 inch concrete slab water and 440 power / a acre of logs / a 5 ton electric splitter / a 20 ton electric splitter / 20 and 30 ton three point splitter a princes pump on the tractor 2 firewood bundlers /  and tools out the yen yan / a 100 by a 100 concrete work area 8 inchs thick

Bert

8 yrs. a big pile of slabs and a network of friends/ thieves who seem to make them disappear :-\
Saw you tomorrow!

jcl

9 years sell 100 cords last 4 years.    Block buster processor  45 hp new holland tractor. One ton Gmc dump truck   It's been a great side work for me but this year it's been impossible to buy any grapple loads   I normally have 6-7 loads already.
New Holland Tc45d
jonsered cs 2159
CB. Maxim
block buster   processor

snuffbandit

2nd year and i run mcculloch 10-10's and a old craftsman my grandfather ran the buisness before me and i used to have a cone splitter my great grandfather bought new but some (Inappropriate language edited by Admins) stole it but none the less i still get it split and sell 10-20 cord a year not to bad id say for working a second part time job.
this is my last saw... no this ones my last saw... nope this is my last saw i promise... it never ends haha

barniescamp

Ive been at it for the past 5 years with the biggest year being 1,100 face cord.
my equipment list
95 John deere 648e grapple skidder
2006 GMC 2500hd pick up truck
2010 7x14' dump trailer
2011 wheeler jr log trailer (with cherie picker)
Ford 550 loader
16" firewood processor
timber devil double splitter (30'conveyor)
three husqvarna 376 xp saws
one husqvarna 357 xp saw (used mostly for felling and limbing)
and a bunch of other junk that comes in handy once and a while.

I deliver cut n split or logs if they want or I bring logs out to the landing for the buyer to process himself with his own splitter or they rent mine, Usually get a local forestry operation with their feller to fell the logs for me.

CRThomas

Husky 22 ton splitter
MS 291 & MS 190
well its 0100 o'clock no phones no visited I can get to splitting and bundling full blast thank god for early morning hours

Nate379

Hi guys.

New to the board.  I run a firewood/logging company in Palmer Alaska.

I've got a Blockbuster 15-20, bobcat S250 with grapple, couple dumping flatbed trucks, saws, etc.
Also my business partner has a Case Tr270, Blockbuster 18-20, small fleet of trucks.
2 log trucks, 2 skidders, feller buncher, delimber, 2 dozers, excavator, etc.

We do around 1200 cords a year of split firewood and about double that in logs.

Also have a Woodmizer LT40, edger, planer, kiln, etc.  used to be the Woodmizer dealer for AK.

I started in 2012.  Shop has been around for 25 years or so.

Thank You Sponsors!