iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fasteners for tulip poplar

Started by forrestM, June 01, 2022, 12:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Do you need stainless steel fasteners for tulip poplar? Or is regular galvanized ok?  This is for 1/2" x 6" clapboard siding. 

Thanks!

GAB

Quote from: forrestM on June 01, 2022, 12:08:43 PM
Do you need stainless steel fasteners for tulip poplar? Or is regular galvanized ok?  This is for 1/2" x 6" clapboard siding.

Thanks!
I'm going to be interested in seeing what others think but I would suggest 300 series stainless steel for any house siding.  400 series ss rusts!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Don P

I use Maze double dipped galvy. Did some about 18 months ago on the current job in poplar siding, no streaks. My own house has their splitless galvy nails in WRC, must be at least 30 years with no streaks. 

Tom King

Before I had read the whole thread, I was going to vote for Maze double hot dipped.  Spiral shanked.  Use ring shanks if the wood is green and you never want to be able to pull any nails without tearing something up.

Stainless steel stays shiny.

Wlmedley

I would think galvanized would be fine.I used galvanized nails putting red oak siding on my barn 40 years ago and see no signs of rust.Also screws used for treated decking boards should work good.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

kantuckid

As said above-coated screws could be another choice as they drill themselves into the boards.
Are you using a nail gun or hammer job? Poplar does split some if dry, green not so much. PP beetles need to be sprayed if the woods not KD as they love poplar better than most anything else.
Poplar itself doesn't dictate anything special but the application asks for something that doesn't rust.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Sod saw

Not being able to remember where I read it, , , ,

I believe it was either WoodenBoat Magazine or one of the " shieldwallmedia.com " publications.

Shield Wall Media has a few different magazines for the construction industry. One is called Garage * shed * carport builder;  another is Frame building news, another is called rural builder and they have others to do with roofing and roll forming .  (Although I do subscribe, I have no other connection to any of these publications). Oh; by the way, those magazines are free to any one in the building industry, and they have good information to those of you attempting to build your own places.

My point is that I recently read an article that compared wood types with different kinds of metal and fastenings.  The comparison had to do with how wood reacts with the different metals and which ones should not be used together.

Personally, I have used hot dipped galvanized steel, as well as aluminum nails, along with deck screws for different types of wood applications.   

have fun with your project

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!