iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine trees - but what type?

Started by Eciton, January 24, 2021, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eciton

Virginia, Fauquier County.

Needles about 2'' long in groups of 2.  Cones about 2'' squat little things.

bark is brownish red and scaly.  

heavy pine scent when cut

We always called them Virginia Pines but i am unsure if that is accurate.  Looking to determine suitability for using for different projects.

thanks!

SwampDonkey

Yep, Virginia.

Probably as good as spruce or jack pine for construction lumber. Not for fine furniture, although you might be surprised at a table top as long at it's about 1-1/2-2" thick. Not sure how it dries though (predictable defects), others may know.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

One of the SYP group but lower density than some SYP varieties. If there's no big stress in the tree it'll dry nicely. I've used a lot of it for framing, siding, and 6x6's. Pretty good stuff. Good straight trees make good straight lumber.

It makes much better framing material than what you get at HD or Lowes. 
HM126

Southside

Lots of knots, just like Spruce. Commercially speaking it's frowned upon over Loblolly for that reason, but you can make decent framing lumber with it.

Personally I prefer to put it into shiplap or another decorative profile that accents the knots. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Yeah they can have a fair amount of knots. Not as bad as white pine. The ones I get from higher density stands tend to be clear up to 40-45 feet and make really nice lumber. Edge trees and ones growing in the open will have more lower limbs so not quite as good. 

Also depends on your topo and elevation. Local conditions make big difference, so it really comes down to your particular va pines. I see them in some areas that are short and gnarly. 

Just try a couple of yours and see what they yield. 
HM126

Don P

Structurally it is in the species group MSP, mixed southern pine, which contains any of the major southern yellow pines plus pond and Virginia pine, as opposed to SYP, southern yellow pine, the stronger members of the group. If you look in the span calc at awc.org it should be listed there with allowable spans and design values.

Eciton

thanks!

most of mine have no branches until about 35-40ft up.  there are a couple that have branches starting at 2' all the way to the top though.  they're interspersed with the hardwoods in our woods but keep falling down in storms and getting hung up so i am going to knock them down where i want them to fall and use them for something.

as i noted on another thread, some of them have some crazy spiraling grain though.  

WDH

I did not think that virginia pine met the strength requirements for SYP lumber grades. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!