iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built-Rite or Wolfe Ridge?

Started by PoginyHill, February 26, 2021, 08:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

I have narrowed my search for an entry-level commercial splitter to these two. Built-Rite is made in Vermont. But even with shipping from Wisconsin, the Wolfe Ridge is about $600 cheaper for an equivalent machine (13hp electric start, auto-cycle, log lift). I would like to do business with a fellow Vermonter. But is it worth $600?? The wedge design is different and maybe an advantage with the Built-Rite - cross wedge is behind the vertical one (Like the All-Wood design). I'm thinking two advantages: 1) less likely to kick into high-pressure/low gpm mode with delayed splitting in that direction and 2) slimmer vertical wedge less likely to push pieces off to the sides and cause a mess.
Any opinions or experience you can share? I have looked at previous FF posts on this.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

trapper

I hadnt considered Bilt-Rite when I asked a simular question on here,  but check out the valueable advice I got in the topic splitter opinoins
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

PoginyHill

I followed that thread closely and learned some good stuff. I don't hear much about Built-Rite compared to other brands. But they have a very good line-up including processors. Their prices appear in-line with most other guys. But WolfeRidge seems to be the lower priced option - for a very good machine. Being in Wisconsin, I wouldn't expect Built-Rite to be on your radar.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

hedgerow

PoginyHill  What are the two models that you are comparing with the Built-Rite and Wolfe Ridge?

PoginyHill

Wolfe-Ridge 28C and Built-Rite 11HPWS
(I think the original BR was 11HP, but 13HP now)

hedgerow

Looking at them online they both look like good splitters. The built rite looks a little more refined but they have been at it longer. I would worry about built rite's working height. The wolfe ridge I would worry about the mesh on the log lift standing up and I agreed I like the built rite wedge set up better. It tough six hundred is some money but when you talk about machines costing this much six hundred isn't big. 

PoginyHill

Thanks for the look. I agree in the big picture $600 may not be a show-stopper - about 7%. I'd rather be happy with my choice years down the road. Hoping there is a BR user or two out there to weigh in on the wedge arrangement. I've read about manya happy Wolfe-Ridge owners.
My wife will likely be the primary operator, so height may be a bonus!

47sawdust

I have no personal experience with Built-Rite.Back when Timberwolf was THE wood splitter the Built-Rite was it's equal and some better in the adjustable wedge department.
Ludlow Vt. isn't that far away, the weather is getting nicer and maybe a road trip is in order.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

hedgerow

Its always easy to spend someones else money. Both look to be very well built. The only commercial factory built splitter I have every ran was a timber wolf TW-6. Very nice splitter a lot like the built rite but the height of the TW-6 would no way work for me. I and another buddy ran it for four days and both of our backs were done. All the other heavy duty splitters I have ran and have owned are homebuilt some better that others. I have bought, sold, traded and repaired a lot of box store, farm store splitters and none of them ever impressed me. I think you will be happy with either one. Only caution I would throw out there is you may not want that autocycle valve. I have had two now and neither one impressed me. I took the one off my main wood splitter as my helpers didn't care for it at all. I still have one one my wood processor that I run but you do have to adjust it from time to time. And I almost forgot another buddy had one on a homebuilt and took it off and went back to a detent retract. His helpers didn't care for it either. 

trapper

What is the wait time on the Built-rite?  Wolfe ridge is 4 months now.  Ordered one last week and wont get until almost july.  I like that the Built 4 way wedge drops below the beam.  Dont have to remove it to use the main wedge.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

PoginyHill

Quote from: trapper on February 26, 2021, 09:27:56 PMWhat is the wait time on the Built-rite?  Wolfe ridge is 4 months now. 
Slightly less lead time - about 3 months. They require 30% deposit. Wolfe Ridge is 20%.

trapper

for only 3-4 months I would not let that extra 10% enter into my decision.

woodworker9

I'm very happy with my Wolfe Ridge.  I bought a 35HO right before Christmas.  It's a well built machine, and the fit and finish is great, too.  The balance of the machine is impressive.  It weighs over 2000 lbs., but I can push down on the table end ever so slightly, and the other end lifts up so I can roll it to the next spot very easily.  

I drove it home from Wisconsin, about a 5 hour drive from me.  Trailered great.  Mine has the full suspension package.

I'm splitting 2 cords per hour by myself.  I can do 3 if I have help feeding the machine.  8.5 second cycle time with the magnum 5" cylinder with a 4" rod.  Seriously heavy duty.

Good luck with your decision.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

stavebuyer

Quote from: hedgerow on February 26, 2021, 03:47:55 PM
Its always easy to spend someones else money. Both look to be very well built. The only commercial factory built splitter I have every ran was a timber wolf TW-6. Very nice splitter a lot like the built rite but the height of the TW-6 would no way work for me. I and another buddy ran it for four days and both of our backs were done. All the other heavy duty splitters I have ran and have owned are homebuilt some better that others. I have bought, sold, traded and repaired a lot of box store, farm store splitters and none of them ever impressed me. I think you will be happy with either one. Only caution I would throw out there is you may not want that autocycle valve. I have had two now and neither one impressed me. I took the one off my main wood splitter as my helpers didn't care for it at all. I still have one one my wood processor that I run but you do have to adjust it from time to time. And I almost forgot another buddy had one on a homebuilt and took it off and went back to a detent retract. His helpers didn't care for it either.
I never ran a TW but the auto-cycle function on my Eastonmade was flawless and to me was a big productivity gain. Once I hit "go" I was free to be loading the log lift etc. and that amounts to half of the cycle time so I am curious what went wrong for you? 

thecfarm

I only ran a TW a few times. Had a part time job for a guy. But I liked that auto fixture. But you have to understand what is going on too. 
I just have a home owner one. The lever has to be pushed forward to split the wood. Let go of the handle and it stops.
Not that it matters, but have not used my wood splitter for 2 years. I have a OWB and I am sawing my wood no more than 8 inches long. No need to split some of the wood. But if it does, I just hit it with a splitting maul and that will do it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stavebuyer

The auto-cycle on the Eastonmade was two levers side by side, the first was the normal direction fw/rev and the second engaged the the "auto" so you could use it either with or without the auto-cycle but we very rarely had to over-ride it to split a crotch.

trapper

Ray what is your reason for cutting owb wood so short?

Tacotodd

In MY experience; the shorter the wood, the easier it is to hand split. Especially hardwood! 
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

So I don't have to use my splitter. A piece of wood, a foot across,8 inches long is light. Now that same piece, a foot across, 2 feet long, is kinda on the heavy side.
When I load in the front I put in pieces even bigger than a foot across. But at only about 8 inches long.
I also have a OWB that will take a 54 inch stick. I don't want to be throwing in wood a foot across in the back of that thing.
Now I "think" this saves me time. No way to turn the clock back and redo the wood pile.  ;D
Sometimes I have some pine that is 2 feet across. I will saw that length wise with my saw, instead of getting the splitter out. Probably not much time saving there, but I saw it as I go. My good sharp saw will do it quick.
And as Tacotodd said, it's easier to split with a maul. I mostly burn softwood, so it does split good. I don't split much. Don't have the wind I use to have.
I am clearing off some of the land, was never a pasture, that I can remember, so I am getting a lot of hardwood. I have to clean out the OWB of ashes this year. Don't get hardly any when I burn softwood.
I keep a maul and a iron wedge by the OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1countryboy

Am reading all the posts and watching video s of the two splitters that both companies offer.

Makes my back hurt!!! :o

I would check out a used one (if u can find it).  Or, rent one for a weekend and get some family and/or buddies to help.   See if u can rent a wood processor for a weekend and then save ur money and get one in the future.   I speak from experience, sore back, worn out gloves and the double knees on my heavy carhart bibs.   My BEST purchase was going to the Paul Bunyon show at Old Washington (near Cambridge, OH)   Love to go to that show and look around.   I hope it comes back this autumn.  Walked thru looking and saw the wood processors.  Wow, they are so expensive now!!

One display had a small tractor (pto) and hooked to a 14-12 Blockbuster.   Caught my attention, i have a bunch of tractors not big enough for my equipment now.   :)   Very impressive and the price was tolerable compared to the ones with engines.  Bought that unit in 2008 and i can process 8 foot tops, 17 inches in diam., 24 inches long split either 2/4/6 ways.  Two cords per hour and with 2 guys working at 90% or more efficiency.   I prefer 2 way and pushed into my holding pit.  Then moved to oudoor furnace.  I can stack 40 plus into it and get 12 to 16 hr burn.   

Just my 2 cents worth and not speaking from experience.   8) :snowball: :D :D :Djust got my white hair early.  Good luck on whatever u do.   

p.s.  am headed out to my log pile and load up the deck and process more before it thaws and i am standing in mud.

Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

PoginyHill

Thanks, Countryboy. I have considered processors. Can't find much under $20k, including used. But not sure I'm ready for that plunge yet. If I do, would likely be a post-retirement gig selling enough to make it worthwhile. For now, upgrading my Troy-Built for the 10-15 cords/yr I need seems right.

hedgerow

Quote from: stavebuyer on February 27, 2021, 05:08:50 AM

I never ran a TW but the auto-cycle function on my Eastonmade was flawless and to me was a big productivity gain. Once I hit "go" I was free to be loading the log lift etc. and that amounts to half of the cycle time so I am curious what went wrong for you?
I like the idea behind the Prince auto cycle valve and have used a lot of prince valves on many projects. It just seems the auto cycle valve can be a little finicky and sensitive on the temp of the oil due to weather that changes the pressure on the system and can cause the valve to kick out when you don't want it to. When I ran the splitter I didn't have any issues I would just adjust the valve if needed. I don't think the helpers liked the two lever operation and how it had to be ran if you need to stop and back up. We do a ton of hedge and locust and it nasty splitting wood a lot of the time. My helpers just like a one lever detent return valve so that what I have on the splitter they run. I still have the auto cycle on my processor but I am the only one that runs it. I do have to reset the pressure once in a while. I just thing before any one spends the money that one cost they need to run one on the wood they are going to split and see if it works for there operation. Its like multi wedges they work good for some and others need to leave them alone. 

Thank You Sponsors!