iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Title changed by admin

Started by dad, September 02, 2022, 06:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

I usually skip right over negative posts, especially first posts. But this one seems to be turning the corner and I might be able to add something. 
 A couple of weeks ago I was in Boonville and visited the EastonMade booth a couple of times as my buddy had an interest and some questions. In the process of waiting our 'turn' I overheard several conversations they had with other potential buyers. One in particular caught my ear. It seems that on their full processors they can't even give a price before they call the steel supplier to find out the latest material costs. It goes up every week (or less) and has a significant impact on sales cost. Further, they went on to say that even at the higher prices, getting some particular steel shapes and sizes was not as it used to be and they had to sometimes do a bit of searching to locate what used to be very common material.
 It is possible that they have become used to the fact that material costs are completely off the rails for them and may have given up even trying to keep set prices on anything. By the way, I did want to ask: did you ever call them and actually discuss your concerns with the pricing on the web pages and ask why they didn't fix it somehow?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Spike60

Jeff, you got a name for those little snacks? I'm sitting here trying to reverse engineer them. That ham, or turkey? Picked up some honey turkey and black pepper ham today. Got swiss cheese and plenty of peppers. Problem is if I make one of those at 8:30, I'll be regretting it about 2:30. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jimbarry

Similar to OldGreenhorn. When clients call us for firewood, we can only give the quote a price for the logs we have in the yard. If they delay ordering and the order has to come from the next log load, their quote might change. As for delivery, we price that separate. We can only ballpark it because if they are wanting delivery 2-3 months from now, the volatility of the fuel market will likely mean a different delivery cost. It could be up or down. Example, a client ordered firewood in May for delivery mid Sept. Fuel prices here in May were crazy high. I explained the circumstances we are dealing with. They ordered, hoping for a better outcome. Just so happens that the fuel prices are down quite a bit this week from that high in May, so they get to save about $100 in delivery. The days of year in year out pricing remaining stable are out the window. Thrown through the window, glass broken and someone's come along and ripped out the casing too. Off the rails indeed.

The economy as a whole is volatile. You have to expect the unexpected these days. Gas, groceries, beer, hardware. So then it's just a matter of choice for the consumer, buy or not buy. You placed the order for the 12-22, that means you accepted the price.

In our other business we occasionally will get an ecommerce order and the customer pays for it. Then they send a message to complain about the cost. They why place the order? Oh they still want it, they just want to complain. Nothing I can do about it, costs get past on to the consumer.

On a lighter note, you will love the 12-22. We've got it with the 4way, 6way and box wedge. Bought it 2018 for less than $9K, barely used. If I had to buy a new one today I wouldn't hesitate to pay $15K or $16K. $50 from each cord at 100 cord a year and your investment is paid for in 3 years. Nothing wrong with that investment.

dad

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 05, 2022, 08:03:58 PM
I usually skip right over negative posts, especially first posts. But this one seems to be turning the corner and I might be able to add something.
A couple of weeks ago I was in Boonville and visited the EastonMade booth a couple of times as my buddy had an interest and some questions. In the process of waiting our 'turn' I overheard several conversations they had with other potential buyers. One in particular caught my ear. It seems that on their full processors they can't even give a price before they call the steel supplier to find out the latest material costs. It goes up every week (or less) and has a significant impact on sales cost. Further, they went on to say that even at the higher prices, getting some particular steel shapes and sizes was not as it used to be and they had to sometimes do a bit of searching to locate what used to be very common material.
It is possible that they have become used to the fact that material costs are completely off the rails for them and may have given up even trying to keep set prices on anything. By the way, I did want to ask: did you ever call them and actually discuss your concerns with the pricing on the web pages and ask why they didn't fix it somehow?
Yeah I did talk on the phone about the prices on the wedges. It was not explained why, just "it is what it is" sort of thing. Maybe they get sick of the price increases of everything on their end and having to field questions like mine at the same time. 
Like Jeff said, I'm going to try to move on and not dwell anymore on my frustration or misunderstanding since I embarrassed myself and probably treated them quite unfair in the process. I honestly wish I would have found another way to vent my frustrations with it. I'm sorry to drag you and the other good folks down by it.
Jeff's sandwiches do look good. ;D

dad

Quote from: jimbarry on September 05, 2022, 08:37:23 PM
Similar to OldGreenhorn. When clients call us for firewood, we can only give the quote a price for the logs we have in the yard. If they delay ordering and the order has to come from the next log load, their quote might change. As for delivery, we price that separate. We can only ballpark it because if they are wanting delivery 2-3 months from now, the volatility of the fuel market will likely mean a different delivery cost. It could be up or down. Example, a client ordered firewood in May for delivery mid Sept. Fuel prices here in May were crazy high. I explained the circumstances we are dealing with. They ordered, hoping for a better outcome. Just so happens that the fuel prices are down quite a bit this week from that high in May, so they get to save about $100 in delivery. The days of year in year out pricing remaining stable are out the window. Thrown through the window, glass broken and someone's come along and ripped out the casing too. Off the rails indeed.

The economy as a whole is volatile. You have to expect the unexpected these days. Gas, groceries, beer, hardware. So then it's just a matter of choice for the consumer, buy or not buy. You placed the order for the 12-22, that means you accepted the price.

In our other business we occasionally will get an ecommerce order and the customer pays for it. Then they send a message to complain about the cost. They why place the order? Oh they still want it, they just want to complain. Nothing I can do about it, costs get past on to the consumer.

On a lighter note, you will love the 12-22. We've got it with the 4way, 6way and box wedge. Bought it 2018 for less than $9K, barely used. If I had to buy a new one today I wouldn't hesitate to pay $15K or $16K. $50 from each cord at 100 cord a year and your investment is paid for in 3 years. Nothing wrong with that investment.
The splitter cost hang true. It was what was advertised. I cannot wait. Which box wedge did you get and are you pleased with the size of the pices?
How about Jeffs sandwiches? :) 

Jeff

Quote from: Spike60 on September 05, 2022, 08:20:58 PM
Jeff, you got a name for those little snacks? I'm sitting here trying to reverse engineer them. That ham, or turkey? Picked up some honey turkey and black pepper ham today. Got swiss cheese and plenty of peppers. Problem is if I make one of those at 8:30, I'll be regretting it about 2:30. :)
My son came up to visit and brought his own food. Then left it here. He had a package of this sliced packaged deli turkey and one of thin ham. What I did was some slices of each with a slice of provolone and jalapeños in the airfryer on 400 for 4 minutes. Open it up and put the hamburger buns in on another rack and go two more. So, basically, airfried club sandwiches. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

dad- I think the frustration may be with the extreme inflation and pricing volatility we are all having to deal with. I haven't had reason to have any communications with Eastonmade so I can't speak to the job they are doing in keeping pricing updated, but the word is everywhere in manufacturing that it is just tough. The whole situation sucks for all of us, and I think that frustration can all come to a head when you are dealing with the current situation's magnified effect that a manufacturer is dealing with. The bottom line is they can't sell stuff for less than they have into it, and it is hard to know your costs day to day anymore. Anyways, enough about that, since you're just getting started "welcome" and I look forward to you sharing and learning with the rest of us.

Someone mentioned "lip stingers". I'm not a fan of painfully hot food. Warm enough to make your nose run and even sweat a bit is good, but I'm not into the pain element. That said, usually I can eat jalapeños in moderation and that's about as "hot" as I go. Last week I was trying to make a savory wild berry sauce for a pork roast (trying something new) and something told me a bit of jalapeño would be a perfect fit. My mother in law had just gave us a dozen she grew in her garden, so I grabbed two, sliced them and threw them in the pot. I dropped one slice on the stove top so I grabbed it and plopped it in my mou...AHHHH!! WHAT DID I JUST DO MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!!!😬😬😂😂 I don't know if they cross pollinated with a hotter pepper or what, but good Lord all I did was get it on the end of my tongue and my whole mouth was on fire! My wife got a good chuckle as I was spitting it in the garbage, spitting and drooling. My mouth burned for half an hour! I never even bit the stupid thing! Anyways, if any of you are into that sort of culinary barbarism I can maybe hook you up with some MIL specials?😁
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Scoville scale is important when you are growing chillies. 

Jalapenos are "tasty" and rate about 3,000
Habanero are starting to get hot around 30,000
So you can throw 10 jalapeno into your stew, or one habanero. 

Ghost chillies are up into the 1,000,000. ONE of them makes a tasty dish.

I caught up with  a guy I knew  from FB in Rarotonga that has a home business making sauces from local ingredients.  It's good stuff,. but not crazy hot. Scorpion chillies, but also enough tomato and onion to keep it sane. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jimbarry

Quote from: dad on September 05, 2022, 09:53:16 PMThe splitter cost hang true. It was what was advertised. I cannot wait. Which box wedge did you get and are you pleased with the size of the pices?
When we first received the splitter we tried all of the attachments. You can see some videos here. The box wedge produced too much trash for our liking. And the 6 way was not useful for our production. So they both sit on a pallet here. The logs that are too big to go through the processor usually have some soft centres. We use the 4 way to split and re-split to remove the punky and lower quality wood which then gets sold as campfire wood.

customsawyer

BB at least now you know why your mother in law was being so generous. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don P

Early on I was invited to a "meet the family" meal. I was being politely passed from plate to plate, turned and grilled. It was an indonesian meal and at some point her mother slipped me a plate topped with a pretty red dollop, of pure fire on top. I can take or leave a cucumber before it is properly pickled but with her brother about to bust out from suppressing himself, I was hunting those slices down  :D. I made it to the pie. 

Welcome to the forum dad  :)

dad

I just would like to say thank you to you all for being so kind one last time before I totally stop referencing my blunder of a post. I have missed some of you in this thread personally and it feels funny to reply now due to Jeff cleaning the slate to move on and then me to keep dragging everyone back. 
Those sandwiches still were/are good looking enough to be thinking about even today ha, ha. I think Jeff ought to be a chef or at least a food picture advertiser/marketing guru.  ;D
Thanks again everyone.   

Jeff

Be careful or ill have to post my airfryer video play list. ;)
Air Fryer Cooking Videos - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

I would say you have paid your $5 fine for whining in full.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

Around here we really do have big hearts and food changes everyones attitude. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

trapper

You should taste Jeffs roast pig.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

dad

There is no doubt in my mind that Jeff is a chef. His stuff looks as appetizing as anything that I've seen anywhere. You have a gift Jeff. No doubt about it.  

SwampDonkey

I was told today that we have more than enough bell and jalpeno peppers froze for the long winter. :D  Yep, some of us like our own cooking either from what's on hand and/or the garden. Apple crumble tonight from our own apples, 'New Brunswicker' variety. Real ice cream on top. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!