iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speeco 22 ton splitter problem

Started by Arkyrick, October 16, 2022, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

This splitter is 15 years old and suddenly wouldn't split when under pressure the wedge just won't go through the log. I have put on a new pump, filter, changed the hydraulic oil, and replaced the control valve and sharpened the wedge. everything seemed fine for about an hour now it's doing it again when the wedge touches the log it won't split, just stops. The motor seems to be running fine and the only thing I haven't replaced is the piston cylinder. This splitter would split anything I just can't figure out what's wrong.
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

doc henderson

does it pull the motor down when you try to split?  does it make in abnormal noise like oil is bypassing.  have you tried to adjust the control valve?  If something you did fixed it for and hour, then I do not think it is the cylinder, but seems more like something sticking or some debris in the system despite all you did.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

That sounds like the oil is bypassing the piston in your hydraulic cylinder, although working for an hour after replacing the other parts is somewhat odd. Is the cylinder getting really hot? If oil is bypassing there it should get hot.
Too many irons in the fire

Wlmedley

If you want to be sure about your cylinder run rod all the way out.Unhook hose on rod side of cylinder and block hose.Leave fitting open.Run machine and work control to run rod out even though it is already all the way out.If packing in cylinder is bad oil will come out fitting.If you don't have anything to block hose with you can just stick it down in tank if it will reach.Stay clear of fitting.If packing is bad you could get a oil bath,might want to put a bucket under it.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

If cylinder was bad don't know how it could work for an hour but if cylinder checks out Ok main relief valve might be stuck open.It should be on inlet side of control valve.The first thing the oil should see when entering control valve is main relief.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

doc henderson

my uncles did this and one thing to help is to add a pressure gauge and see if it build pressure.  it will help with adjustments in the future as well.  his has debris in the system and would work intermittently like this one.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dirtmotor

Mine did that , It has pump drive belt under motor and belt was slipping .

sawguy21

His is direct drive with a Lovejoy coupling. Do you change your filter regularly? The system may need to be flushed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

Checked the key on both sides of the lovejoy coupling to be sure?

Thank You Sponsors!