iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP for timber frames

Started by glgdiggs, July 23, 2009, 08:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glgdiggs

Is SYP suitable for use in timber frame construction? I have a large number of loblolly pines which are 70 to 80 years old and at the end of their economic and heathy life spans. Many of these are premium saw logs with no branches to 80 feet, which would allow the milling of large clear beams. I have been a woodworker most of my life and it seems the building of a timber frame workshop and outbuildings could be a new and challenging endeavor.

Jim_Rogers

Yes syp can be used for timber framing...

And welcome to the forum, and keep asking questions.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

witterbound

I'm using SYP for my frame.  I hope to raise it in about a month.  The upper braces in this bent are cherry, and the king post is a hand hewn post oak timber from a 100 year old barn.

Thehardway

Yes, SYP is very suitable for timberframing.  As long as you follow the strength calculation table for the specific specie of SYP you have and you are very certain it is correctly identified you should have no issues.  SYP in general covers a very broad group of trees which have varied strength charachteristics.

Watch out for spiral grain in the trees you choose as this can cause timbers to twist as they dry.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Joel Eisner

We did our entire frame out of SYP and it was great to work with.  All the wood was harvested within ~200 ft of the building.

One caveat is that this was my only experience with timber framing so I can not compare SYP to other woods.

Joel

The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ARKANSAWYER

Man I hope so.  I built "Wanda's" house out of it!   Doing a home now out of short leaf yellow pine.  Do 2 or 3 a year and can not wait for the housing market to pick up.
ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

Wear your crash helmit this time Arky. :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

Hopefully he will comment himself.  But its my opinion that ljmathias has an extremely cool sawshed made of SYP.  Check out his photo gallery.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!