iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An ounce of prevention

Started by terrifictimbersllc, November 04, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Forecast says 28° F at 7am at my sawing site tomorrow.  Purged my Lubemizer line with straight WWF.  Added about a half gal of same to my water bottle.   By 8am it's supposed to be 33°.  Not taking any chances. Plenty of other things can go wrong as it gets colder.  Bad start to a day subtracting an hour's labor for something preventable with 5 minutes effort.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good idea. 33 is not real cold, but its cold enough to get into the habit of being prepared.
I imagine it will get a lot colder than 33 in CT. this winter :D

Good post "T"!  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

No doubt, locked and loaded with wwf as well. almost thought it was sleeting this evening, not, just a good stiff wind and a cold rain..    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

WWF all the way, cooling off 28 this morning and the hydraulics where slow too  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I posted this LINK to Sparks' chart for WW fluid in another thread.  Yup, an ounce of prevention.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dad2FourWI

You bet... mine has been full for the last week here in WI !!!

Just bought a case of WWF from Mendards..... :)

I would be all set for Winter if only I had the wood shed full.... too busy with everything else... <groan>

Cheers,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

JohnM

I put maybe a 1/4 gal of wwf with 2 gals of water in my tank last week.  It was 18.9* this morning when I got up to go hunting and didn't check the tank when I went by (have to walk right by the mill on the way to my stand).  I did look at around 4pm and it seemed 'ok' (not frozen), it never got above 38 here today.  I'm wondering though, am I pressing my luck cutting the wwf that much?
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

GDinMaine

There is some good info in this 2005 thread. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10926.0

I have 1/2 Gallon of WWF in 3 gallons of water and it was OK down to about 20F.  However the mill head is covered so that does provide a little bit of temperature protection as well. I will soon increase the WWF in the tank and by January will use no water at all.  The blue stuff cost almost $3/gallon so it can get expensive if using 4-6 gallons in a day.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

JohnM

Quote from: GDinMaine on November 05, 2013, 10:13:13 AM
The is some good info in this 2005 thread. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10926.0

I have 1/2 Gallon of WWF in 3 gallons of water and it was OK down to about 20F.  However the mill head is covered so that does provide a little bit of temperature protection as well. I will soon increase the WWF in the tank and by January will use no water at all.  The blue stuff cost almost $3/gallon so it can get expensive if using 4-6 gallons in a day.
It wasn't that long ago that that stuff was like 79 cents /gal. :o  Not sure what it's made out of but apparently there's a shortage of it. ::)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

I did some internet searching:

"Methanol is used in commercial windshield washer fluid. It is the best ingredient to prevent freezing at low temps. 25% (vol. %) methanol/water freezes at approx. 0 degrees F, 25% ethanol/water is about 10 degrees F, 25% isopropanol/water freezes at about 13 degrees F (all temps are approximate). Methanol should be treated with care and used in a well ventilated area. Wear gloves at all times. Methanol attacks the optic nerve in excess quantities inhaled or on skin."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 04, 2013, 04:47:37 PM
Forecast says 28° F at 7am at my sawing site tomorrow.  Purged my Lubemizer line with straight WWF.  Added about a half gal of same to my water bottle.   By 8am it's supposed to be 33°.  Not taking any chances. Plenty of other things can go wrong as it gets colder.  Bad start to a day subtracting an hour's labor for something preventable with 5 minutes effort.
Well, the temp actually was 33° not 28° as predicted.  But I was safe rather than sorry at least as far as the lube went.   But the cold was helpful in revealing I needed a new battery.  My hydraulics seemed a bit weak and my indicator lights were dim. (see here:    https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg934188.html#msg934188 )      Using the voltage meter in the Accuset 2 diagnostics routine I saw the voltage dropping to 8.5 volts when the log turner was going full out.   I got by all day until the end when I tried to turn a 30x10' oak log.  Nothing doing.  Anyway I stopped at Carquest on the way home (the i-phone is amazing!) and went home with a new 31HDP30 battery.  Also had some diesel flow problem whose description will wait for another time.   So much for my first cold day of the season.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!