iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

661 bar selection

Started by Ventryjr, September 18, 2020, 05:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ventryjr

So I came across a good deal on a new ms661. Long story short dealer ordered it w/ deposit for a guy before pandemic. Guy never picked it up.  It has a full wrap handle and came with a 36" rollomatic bar/chain and a 25" duromatic  bar/ skip tooth chain .  $1100 cash.   Is it in my head or does the duromatic bar rob a lot of power? It doesn't seem to perform as good as my older ms460 w/ 25" bar and skip tooth.  All the bars are stihl.   But I'm open to trying out other brands. I fell a lot of hard/soft wood and will be cutting logs to go on the mill this spring. Is it worth getting a different short bar? Maybe a 20" rollomatic? Thanks in advance 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

ButchC

When using the bottom of the bar the chain is not tensioned around the nose thus there is zero practical difference in power needed to operate the chain. I'd guess your power issue is a break in or tuning issue. I well rememer how much power my 661 picked up after about 5 tanks of fuel and owning both a 661 and a 461 I can also attest that for the first tank or two a brand new 661 will not embarrass  a well tuned and we'll broken in 461! 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Ventryjr

I didn't even consider the break in period.  That does make sense.  I've only put about 1.5 tanks of gas thru it. 

nativewolf

Not sure why you'd want a duramatic anymore.  The semi-skip chain it came with however, that is my favorite chain.
Liking Walnut

sawguy21

IMO a 661 is wasted with a 25" bar, it is a lot of extra power and weight for nothing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Greenhighlander

Quote from: Ventryjr on September 18, 2020, 08:35:09 AM
I didn't even consider the break in period.  That does make sense.  I've only put about 1.5 tanks of gas thru it.
I know it is a different saw but it took at least 6 tanks or so for my 395 to come to life and I could tell a huge difference by 10-12 tanks. 
Cheers 

Ventryjr

I put another 3 tanks thru it yesterday cutting some firewood.  Seemed to pick up a little bit more.  Had to stop and tighten my chain about 10 times tho.  Over all I'm pretty happy with the saw.  It starts very easy.  First pull when warm.  Second pull cold.

lxskllr

Tens times is a lot if you're running decent chain. I've never used a hard nose, so maybe that has something to do with it, but make sure the bar's getting enough oil. The 661 has a compression pin you can punch in on the oiler adjustment, and turn it up higher. I keep mine maxed, and even with the 25" bar, I don't consider it too wet.

Ventryjr

Well the chain is/was brand new.  And I'll take a look at the oil adjustment. 

alan gage

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 18, 2020, 11:16:50 AM
IMO a 661 is wasted with a 25" bar, it is a lot of extra power and weight for nothing.
I got a 661 with 42" and 28" bar for ripping big logs to fit on the mill. I only used it with the 42" bar for quite a while because I had a smaller 70-something CC saw with 20" bar that handled pretty much everything else. One day I was bucking a bunch of 20-24" oak for firewood and after a couple logs decided to try the 661 with 28" bar. I couldn't believe how much faster it chewed through! Not saying everyone should run out and buy a 661 with a short bar but if you've already got a 661 I think it's worthwhile to have a shorter bar on it for cutting larger firewood. I doubt I will but I'm tempted to run a 20-24" bar on it for those situations for a little better balance.
I've used the 661 to drop a few trees and to me that feels like a lot of extra work compared to the 70cc saw but for bucking firewood where you're standing up and just letting the weight of the saw chew through the log it doesn't seem like much effort required on my part. Actually I'd say the 661 felt like less effort in the above scenario just because of how much quicker it got the job done.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: alan gage on October 14, 2020, 04:07:58 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on September 18, 2020, 11:16:50 AM
I got a 661 with 42" and 28" bar for ripping big logs to fit on the mill. I only used it with the 42" bar for quite a while because I had a smaller 70-something CC saw with 20" bar that handled pretty much everything else. One day I was bucking a bunch of 20-24" oak for firewood and after a couple logs decided to try the 661 with 28" bar. I couldn't believe how much faster it chewed through! Not saying everyone should run out and buy a 661 with a short bar but if you've already got a 661 I think it's worthwhile to have a shorter bar on it for cutting larger firewood. I doubt I will but I'm tempted to run a 20-24" bar on it for those situations for a little better balance.
I've used the 661 to drop a few trees and to me that feels like a lot of extra work compared to the 70cc saw but for bucking firewood where you're standing up and just letting the weight of the saw chew through the log it doesn't seem like much effort required on my part. Actually I'd say the 661 felt like less effort in the above scenario just because of how much quicker it got the job done.
Alan
That's what separate the men from the boys 😂

ehp

On the 661 I had I ran 25 inch most of the times and I always used every bit of power that saw could give me , its all in the gear and the chain setup. the dura bar will take quite abit more power to cut with than a good ES bar , have no idea on why anybody would want to run one unless in real dirty stuff 

Thank You Sponsors!