iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

GAB

Danny:
I consider stuck when you have to step down to get to onto the running boards.
My brother and I got dad's MF150 that stuck in plowed ground one day.
Dad was not happy.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: caveman on August 02, 2020, 06:50:55 AM
There is a lot more that goes into producing lumber than sawing the logs into boards.  Many do not understand all the touches, steps, equipment and adversity often involved.
The man speaks truth. Great quote there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hilltop366

Southside

Now in the old days if a logger had done that on one of Danny's tracts..... >:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

This is how you get found in a peat bog 50000 years from now. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

There was a big glass door here at least I'm not stuck
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Walnut Beast

Hopefully we will get another picture of it all washed and waxed ready to go 👍

Banjo picker

May not be the safest thing to do but chain a log to the rear wheels and make it pick itself up then fill the hole under the wheel with something.  Just don't run the chain through the hole in the wheel where the valve stem is.  

Now how many of you all have turned one over.  I guess I'm gonna get raked over the coals for that first tip anyway....so I'll tell you I have turned over 3 different tractors.  Thank goodness for roll cages and seatbelts.  Only injury I got was getting back on one I rolled to shut of the motor & grabbed the hot muffler.  This is in Mississippi.... highest point is 806 feet.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Walnut Beast

Banjo don't give him any ideas he is going to have that new Tractor 🚜 trashed 😂

Walnut Beast

Speaking of getting stuck. It's amazing the flotation of a wide track dozer has compared to a standard. Where a standard track would  be instantly stuck a wide track can work just fine in wet ground 

doc henderson

I got my 270c cat track-loader stuck after a rain when we were working on the drainage behind the house.  it had rained and a puddle soaked in.  the lugs filled in. so the slippery mud just lubricated the tracks.  My little 850 JD was able to pull it.  just needed to get over the bump at the back of the tread that was like a 90° stop.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Yes, you can unstick a tractor with a Sweetgum pole:  LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

The best getting stuck is with the groomer for snowmoble trails after it breaks through the ice in the middle of a big  swamp. Its cold, its wet, and then you have to drag logs and brush into the middle of the qaugmire and get them under the groomer, and then disconnect the groomer attachemnt and then go back for it. Oh yeah, do it all before it freezes in as the Temerature is dropping - a million. 
I''l take the mud anyday. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on August 02, 2020, 03:34:07 PM
Yes, you can unstick a tractor with a Sweetgum pole:  LINK
Yep that's what I was talking about.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

We used a pole in another way when I was mowing for MDOT.  One of the guys, and no it wasn't me, went off in a place he should have known better to go and got stuck.  We had like 5 tractors on the job, but he was so far out in the wet area even with 3 or 4 tractors chained together we couldn't get close enough with the chains we had.  So from the chain on the back of the stuck tractor we chained about a 40 foot pole then all the tractors pulling together got him out.  Country boy logic.  Tim

firefighter ontheside

Goose, are you gonna let us know why the glass and rubber seal from you tractor window are broken?

This was not so much as dumb as just slow on the uptake.  I was cutting the grass in my back yard and when I ducked under some pine limbs like I always do I thought they were hanging a little lower than normal.  I have to trim them every year from growth, but something was not right.  It was then that I noticed the tree was laying over on my garage/shop.  When did that happen?  I sure don't know.  Finished cutting the grass and then got out the saw and some young boys to help drag all the limbs away.  Luckily it was only a shortleaf that was about 6" diameter.  There was a group of 3 of them that had grown there.  I left them to be 20 years ago.  I imagine I'm gonna have to cut the other 2 down eventually.  They both lean.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

@goose63  I had that happen  a couple years ago the drivers side cab on mine now has a custom plexiglass door, It might scratch but it won't shatter. Dealership ordered it for me. 

@WDH glad it came out ok and wasn't severely damaged, I've seen more than one farm implement  destroyed from being stuck.

I managed to run my vet truck out of fuel two miles out of town, thought I could make it to the next town north. I was headed to check out a used truck for my brother and it was just before 5:00 and the shop was closing. (Found out later it had sold that morning) So I had to suck it up and call in to the clinic for a ride to get a fuel can. Not only will I get a hard time from my office I managed to run  out of fuel on the road just north of my wifes office, so she knew something was up before I got back. I also had someone ask what was wrong with my truck at the gas station after I got back to town. They saw it sitting so they went and checked it out just in case I needed something. Gotta love small towns. I try to never go home less than half a tank, just forgot to stop the night before and didn't notice the dummy light on in time.....   ::), I haven't had this truck that long but I now know if that light comes on you need gas right now.

firefighter ontheside

Must not be a Ford truck.  My E light comes on and says I have 50 miles to E.  When I stop to put fuel in, I clearly still have about 10 gallons left in the tank.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I put an after market 60 gallon on mine so I can go farther and or fill up less.  works great but to take full advantage, you have to go slow or "squirty' to get it full for the last 5 gallons or so.  If you park or slow down on a slope, with 1/8th tank on the gage, it may suck air and die. the tank is 8 feet long between the frame rails.  all the remaining fuel can run to the front or back.  sending unit and pick up is in the middle.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Quote from: Walnut Beast on August 02, 2020, 02:19:06 PM
Hopefully we will get another picture of it all washed and waxed ready to go 👍
Well, she is not waxed but she is much cleaner.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

At Jake's place, there is never a Lull in the action :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny, Your tractor shines like a new penny.  I do wax my tractor and the sawmill about once a year.

I never would have thought that the ground in Jake's yard would ever get that soft.  
Caveman

Southside

I have done the same thing with my Lull - the nice thing is that extendable boom - 44' worth of push my way back out of the mess I managed to find myself in!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Those Lulls are full of surprises.
I've driven Jake's and some others - high but sorta narrow tires, plus HEAVY, like . . . a lot of junk in the trunk!
 Jake does it weigh about 30,000 lbs. ? 
When the boom is fully extended, some are still able to handle some 3500 lbs. on the forks - which needs a lot of weight at the other end.
Your results may vary, but I've never had much luck when taking one of those for a shortcut across the back lawn . . . 😝
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

moosehunter

It seems to me that a Lull so anchored would be very stable picking up that extra heavy load. Of course if you need to move the load that could create a problem

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!