iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Acorn issue

Started by Smitty316, March 25, 2014, 04:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty316

I started an urban forestry council in my Missouri town about 9 years ago. Two of the main reason I saw a need for this are because of all the tree topping that happens here and the lack of climax forest species in town. Most of our urban forest is made up of Silver maples, Bradford pears, Siberian elms, and a scattering of Pin oaks. For the past several years we have been establishing many oaks, pecans and hickories. Recently however we have members who do not want these species planted because of the seeds they drop. It was actually written into a draft park document that trees that produce acorns will not be planted in our city parks. I did get that removed, but it represents the sentiment here. I was just wondering if any other urban forestry groups have dealt with this disagreement.

Thanks, Smitty

Autocar

Twenty years ago plus I was on a tree comission in a small town if the folks had there way there wouldn't be a tree on a city street. Always complaining about tree sap dripping on there cars sometimes you have to put your foot down for the best of the over all pictures
Bill

WDH

No acorns?  No nuts?  No wildlife?  No value to living things that need to make a living?

City people can be uninitiated, uninformed, and ignorant.  That is why I live in the country.  The suburbanites can all ride around in their Suburbans and be served.  Not sure that you can blame them for being ignorant, as ignorance comes from a lack of experience or knowledge, but it is still sad. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reswire

Quote from: WDH on March 25, 2014, 11:40:16 PM
No acorns?  No nuts?  No wildlife?  No value to living things that need to make a living?

City people can be uninitiated, uninformed, and ignorant.  That is why I live in the country.  The suburbanites can all ride around in their Suburbans and be served.  Not sure that you can blame them for being ignorant, as ignorance comes from a lack of experience or knowledge, but it is still sad.

Well said.  I know the value of nature's diversity.  I also know the value of human diversity.  I guess those of us who live in the country have an easier time understanding nature, and each other.... thank goodness.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

gfadvm

Plant a bunch of hedgeapple and mulberries. Then they'll be begging for acorn producers!

Thank You Sponsors!