iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Wood-Mizer info -help needed.

Started by Rainwolf, September 10, 2019, 10:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainwolf

I have a chance to buy a older Wood-Mizer. Based on what I was told it has been sitting for 11 years and ran when they stopped using it. Other then obvious rust issues and the engine possibly needing work what things should I look for before I commit to buying it? I believe it is a LT15 based on what cut and track size was given to me. I'll be going tomorrow to view it.
Any help will be appreciated as this will be my first sawmill.

Woodpecker52

Know what new sells for and remind them this ain't new and needs a lot of work.  
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Rainwolf

The asking price is around $1000
I figured even with a new engine that's a fair price if all else is good. But I don't know what hidden things that would just make it a yard ornament.

firefighter ontheside

LT15 is a pretty simple machine.  I think rusty things will be the biggest problem.  Rusty bearings, rusty track, rusty blade rollers.  Those won't be too difficult to remedy though.  Replace some parts that may be frozen.  Get the motor running or replace it.  Make sure price reflects things that have to be replaced.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Peter Drouin

A new motor I think you will have $800 to a 1000 into it with the rust an all you might have 3000 into it for it to cut good. Then all your work to fix it up.
Not looking at it my self I'm just thinking of the worse.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Rainwolf

So would at worse case (no obvious rust damage to bed/or motor carriage) would  it be worth $1k? I'll have photos later today to post.

GAB

At that price I would not go look at it, I would bring a trailer and pick it up.
The track sections are probably worth that much.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

X2 what GAB said!

For $1,000 plus some elbow grease, touch-up paint, and might get lucky and have a running engine!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rainwolf

That's what I'm hoping for, the main issue is this is a remote Alaska location (remote as everything has to fly or barge in) so my normal worry with anything metal here is rust in a marine environment. Second worry is cost, so as long as the tracks and carriage are sound metal I'm pretty sure I'll be hauling it away :)

Rainwolf

The seller is flaking out on me :(
Hoping he calls today or tomorrow for the visual check and possible purchase. I'll post once I have photos

Thank You Sponsors!