iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how dumb can I get???

Started by dnalley, May 15, 2015, 08:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

And the man  said " don't answer that".  Been beating my head against the wall trying to keep a Husky 51 running while cutting.  Just seems to get hot or something and dies.  After cleaning carb and air filter with carb  cleaner and no results I decided to take carb apart and check it out.  Nothing obvious so I bought a new gallon can to be sure I had good gas and added some fuel conditioner to gas, drained what was in tank, blew out tank and fuel filter, and bought a new air cleaner (almost took my breath at the price of that but had to have it ----$15 plus tax).  Still can't get it to run so put it aside 'till this morning.  Sometime around 6 this morning a light bulb went off in my feeble brain.  Hey dummy, you didn't put any 2 stroke oil in your new clean gas!!!  Guess the Lord was still looking out for me or I would have ruined the whole thing.  Got it to run some by holding choke partway out, but not much.  Maybe my grand-daughter is right.  Maybe I AM getting senile.  Never overlook the obvious.  Hope I haven't fried the whole thing.  Learn from the mistakes of others---like ME.

dougand3

If not straight gassed for long, it may be ok. Pull muffler and look at piston/ring and intake side cylinder. Also, can get a limited view of exhaust side cylinder thru plug hole with a flashlight. And fall back position is good - You can get a whole AM top end for ~30. And normally, the  Husky 55 top end fits.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

lumberjack48

Your not dumb, its Murphy's law, if run saw long enough it will happen to the best of us.

Give your saw the Finlander compression test. Pick it up with you left hand, now grab the rewind handle with you right hand, let go of it with your left hand. If it goes bulb, bulb, bulb, to the end of the rewind rope its done. If the rewind holds it up or just about holds it up, bulb=====bulb=====bulb its ok
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

dnalley

Think I may have been lucky that the thing wouldn't run too well.  Fixed my straight gas this morn and finally got it to run a bit.  Seems fine but still dies in the cut.  Not quite there yet.  Thanks men.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: lumberjack48 on May 15, 2015, 05:10:08 PM
  Your not dumb, its Murphy's law, if run saw long enough it will happen to the best of us.

Give your saw the Finlander compression test. Pick it up with you left hand, now grab the rewind handle with you right hand, let go of it with your left hand. If it goes bulb, bulb, bulb, to the end of the rewind rope its done. If the rewind holds it up or just about holds it up, bulb=====bulb=====bulb its ok
lumberjack thats the same test i use when buying a used saw :D :D :D  so far its been right 100% smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

kellysguy

Got one better than that. Early morning; fuzzy brain, go to gas and fill up chain oil. Undo caps to gas can, tank and oiler. Measure out 2 stroke oil....dump it in oiler....pour straight gas into saw fuel tank. Put tops back on and go to crank...notice blue oil in front of saw...WT????  D'OH !!!!!!!! :o

....barely caught it...and I'm supposedly MENSA eligible..... ::)

That being said, my brain doesn't work nearly as good as it used to...

...what were we talking about again....?

luvmexfood

I put bar oil in the gas tank once. Probably not the only one to ever do that. Cranked and cranked and cussed and cussed. Next day it dawned on me to check that. Sure enough bar oil in gas tank. Poured it out, put in gas and it fired right up. Was sure I would have carb problems but none.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

4x4American

Nice at least it was an easy fix with not really anything messed up by it. 
Boy, back in my day..

Maine logger88

Quote from: luvmexfood on May 15, 2015, 09:35:32 PM
I put bar oil in the gas tank once. Probably not the only one to ever do that. Cranked and cranked and cussed and cussed. Next day it dawned on me to check that. Sure enough bar oil in gas tank. Poured it out, put in gas and it fired right up. Was sure I would have carb problems but none.
I did the opposite of that the other day but I realized it while I was doing it so I just dumped it out and put bar oil in
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

sablatnic

I once filled up my lawn mower with bar oil - spent an hour cleaning and flushing it, just to fill it up with polyester a moment later!!!
It is still standing and still not running. I guess it can't be cleaned out completely!

sawguy21

:D Did you try going back to bed and starting the day over?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sablatnic

No, just got out the hedge trimmer, made absolutely sure that I had the correct fuel for it (paper test) and trimmed my hedges. Oh, and picked another lawn mower out of the junk heap, a nice Norlett from 1982 - almost a runner, just needed to be dismantled and repaired. Still running, used it yesterday.

paper test - place a drop of petrol on a piece of paper, and see if it leaves a stain. If it doesn't leave a stain it isn't mixed with oil.

kderby

Paper test!  Brilliant.  I don't have a sense of smell.  I slosh it out of the fuel can to see if I can identify what is in the fuel can.  Paper testing will save me gallons per year ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Sablatnic

JohnG28

I have different gas cans for mixed and straight gas, different in size/shape that is. Mower and snowblower get straight, all the others get mixed. I use Stihl HP oil which also leaves the gas a distinctive color also. And I don't let anyone else touch them so it doesn't get mixed up!  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!