iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would Like Advice Regarding Timber Exemption In Texas

Started by GuyInHuntsville, March 14, 2014, 03:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyInHuntsville

Hi, I'm really new to this subject and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about this? I'm in the process of buying 15 acres of wooded land in Walker County Texas and it currently has a timber exemption on it. I like saving on taxes but I don't really want to give up any of the trees (mostly pines) except what's necessary to clear for building a home. And if I did allow select cutting I'm worried about the damage that this would do in terms of the land's appearance, stumps, branches left all over, ruts, etc...Doesn't seem worth it to me for this size of land. In this case should I drop the exemption when I take ownership of the property? Can anyone tell me how this exemption works and what it would mean for me if I kept it in place? This will be the first piece of land I've ever owned by the way. Thank you for reading.

ohwc

I probably would not drop it on the entire property just what you plan on clearing a utilizing. Unless the rules have change recently... you would owe the difference in back taxes for the previous five years. Last I checked same tax rules applied for Agricultural exemptions also. Put in place to preserve farming and timber property but catches medium acreage property owners in the middle.

GuyInHuntsville

I really appreciate your response ohwc. Your statement about back taxes was a real eye opener. I'm definitely going to have to look into that because that wouldn't be good. Thanks again!

Thank You Sponsors!