iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well here we go...

Started by thechknhwk, March 24, 2014, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

Gable rafter tie going up, sky track would get it about 1' below the needed height, so the platform and some willing men were needed.

First pic of the hammer beam, and the rafter to nowhere, 6x10x16'.

Me planking the south hammer beam rafter.

My unfortunate architect and friend who gets to go up top while I get the tie beam in position.

Who's gonna unhook the choker, looks like you drew the short straw Mr. Architect Guy!

Gable end, and hammer beam ties are set.

thechknhwk

On to the 5' top posts to form the peak, the ones off the skytrack were easy, the ones over the 2nd floor I carried up a ladder over my shoulder.

I guess I skipped a couple days, the 10' top sections of rafters are up and we were missing a couple of plates, so used some plywood.

Some top rafter section pics.

Hole in the roof waiting for something BIG!

One of my helper friends, I paid him while he was off work, but this day he was a volunteer ;D

The something BIG is here, 6x10x21' composite beam of ash and red oak for the 24' wide dormer.

View from the front after the dormer was done.

thechknhwk

Doo, doo, doo, lookin off my front roof.

3x6x15' purlins of poplar and cottonwood.

One of the bents with all the plates installed.

Power (and gas) to the people <fist held high>

thechknhwk

Some gratuitous photos from today.  We installed the last of the major structural members, 8x6x12' racking braces about 6" or so from the peak, and it wasn't any fun.  Ironically I didn't take any pictures of them. ::)

Hammer in shadow form.

10'x12' picture window?

And may the sun shine also upon you.

All purlins and fascia are up except on the dormer where the sheeting will have to go on first so the fascia can intersect it.

This is my favorite one from today.

WmFritz

Wow! You've been busy the last couple months. Looking good.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thechknhwk

Quote from: WmFritz on December 11, 2014, 09:58:49 PM
Wow! You've been busy the last couple months. Looking good.

We'll be putting sheeting on this weekend, so stop by and you won't get bored.

ozarkgem

Quote from: thechknhwk on June 08, 2014, 03:06:10 PM
Little clearing for the septic field.

Same..

Dig a hole.

Put in a tank - this stuff is easy right?

Put on the other half.

Stand around and watch the crane operator.

Push some dirt on it, this stuff is a piece of cake :D

so you put your septic  lateral line on top of the ground. How about the line into the tank. Nice looking build.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

FalconFan

Thanks for sharing! Looks great!

thechknhwk

Its not really on top of the ground.  Its on a slope from under the floor to the tank.  The plastic you see is s clean out.

Thanks for the comments.

danreed76

Very nice looking build.  Looks like you've hit your stride since the "911" call out.  Can't wait to see the finished product!
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

thechknhwk

Yeah, nothing like desperation to make one figure things out.  Thanks for the comments.

Brad_bb

Do you have a picture of the hardware you are using?  Are they through bolts?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thechknhwk

I don't have any pictures other than the ones I posted.  Yes, they bolt all the way through.

thechknhwk

The county forester drove by the other day and had given me a call to say how impressed he was with the building.  I was happy to hear from him, and he sent me this photo.  I also had a retired photographer that said he volunteers for the Saginaw County historical society stop by and take several pictures and do a little video interview with myself and my architect who was there helping me.  I have not seen him in a few months though.  Then a few hours ago another friend that I used to work with who does professional photography hit me up on facebook and was talking about coming out to do some sort of photo shoot with models and the whole nine.  It sounded pretty entertaining.

I'm currently trying to line up a metal roofer and trying to get the best possible price for the materials.  All the roof sheeting is on and is covered with a synthetic tar paper.

Dave Shepard

Looks like you have room to get that sawmill in there. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thechknhwk

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 10, 2015, 11:42:30 AM
Looks like you have room to get that sawmill in there. :D

I figured someone would say that, haha.  I'm using it today and tomorrow, but definitely going under the lean to when I'm done.

mikeb1079

look at what a large structure you can build with such a tiny sawmill.   :) :)

on a serious note though, awesome awesome stuff.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

thechknhwk

Quote from: mikeb1079 on January 10, 2015, 10:38:57 PM
look at what a large structure you can build with such a tiny sawmill.   :) :)

on a serious note though, awesome awesome stuff.   8)

Thanks @mikeb1079 I'm eating the elephant.... one bite at a time ;D

thechknhwk

My dad helping me thinking, "your boards are stupid, we always have to cut both ends".

I didn't lie, the mill is safe and sound.

Some gratuitous shots, putting up the bottom girts, treated with sill seal and then 1/2 plywood shim to match up with my full dimension 2x6's.

thechknhwk

Got some sheeting done.  Lift I was fortunate enough to borrow is in the foreground.  It doesn't move though, so it has a drawbar on the front to pull around with the tractor.  Hope it works :D

West end where the wood shop will be... 2nd story windows framed in.

Dat's all folks.. for now ;D

Magicman

Thanks for the tour.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

My 6'-1" friend standing next to the rootball of a blown down white pine from a tornado last summer.

Getting the rest of my floor joists from said blown down trees.

Shot from outside the west gable end while standing in the lift putting up sheeting.

Closing it in...

thechknhwk

Garage doors are in

Roofers getting started.

Trying not to tip the tractor over ;D

Back side

Front side with a dirtymax cameo

Shot from the road.

woodworker9

Nice work!  I love those garage doors.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185