iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem: My Pond Full of Monster Bream

Started by YellowHammer, April 30, 2024, 08:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

B.C.C. Lapp

A ultra lite spinning rod, some 4lb test, a can of garden worms, iced beer in a cooler and something  tasty to  munch and Id sit there till I had a 5 gallon bucket full.   We'd be filleting till midnight.   Always fun when me and my son and son in law come in after dark from fishing and drinking beer all day.  Well be cleaning fish till one of us falls off his chair.  That man is then usually declared unfit for duty and his filleting knife is taken, thank the Lord, and he is then the supervisor commenting on  these other guys fish cleaning technique.   .

Don't ask who that guy usually is.   fishin-smiley
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

My grandfather was one of the early game wardens in Fla and he used to talk about "Monkey-fishing" where people would use an old hand crank telephone to shock up fish. I don't know if the field telephones used by the military would work or if they would be available at a military surplus store.

I used to hear about crushing up green walnuts and leaves in a burlap bag and tossing in a deep hole in the creek but I suspect your pond is too big for this. I think it made Rotenone (Sp) that took the O2 out of the water.

I know this will be a painful suggestion but I bet if you call the fisheries department at AU they can tell you how to get rid of them.

I wish I had a few hundred of them live for flathead catfish bait. My son hooked about a 1 lb crappie which wrapped around a limb in the treetop we were fishing and it was near the surface. He was holding tension hoping the fish would unravel itself and its was splashing on the surface. Suddenly there was a swirl and a sound like a commode flushing and a 20-25 lb flathead came up and nailed it. He let the catfish have the crappie but when he tried to land it there was a big fight for a few seconds but no hope of landing it on a 10' crappie pole and a #2 hair hook.

This reminds me of the story I heard about a couple of UA co-eds who sneaked in to an old AU alumni' pond and went skinny dippin'. The old man came down and they heard him and went out to deeper water. He saw the pile of clothes and sat on a 5 gallon bucket and told them they better come on out. They called him a dirty old man and a peeping Tom. He told them "I'm no peeping Tom, I just come down here about this time every day to feed old Bill, my pet gator." Old age and treachery will overcome youth and vigor every time! ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

That was a 5 mag crank phone magneto  pictured above.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

All that lead in the pond can't be a good thing?
In NH we can't use lead shot or sinkers in or over the water Kills a lot of stuff. But, not your fish. ffcheesy It would be interesting to bring a big one to a lab and see what % the lead is in their blood. :wink_2: ffcheesy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

I've never seen a crank phone except on the TV.  I wonder what voltage and current they put out?   

There had got to be a modern equivalent that runs off a battery, that won't kill me.

I'm not sure about the lead poisoning in the pond, but I would guess that some of the dead fish and turtles have a pretty high fraction of lead in their brain.  

I see some elcheapos shockers on the EBay and Amazon, they call them high frequency shockers.  They look like useless toys.  

I didn't go to the pond today, I was shooting the rifle, but it occurred to me that maybe I should take up spear fishing.  

I used to have a pesticide liscense, I could probably get the fish poison, but it seems such a waste for a guy like me who fishes pretty often to not be able to fish these guys out.  I just need to concentrate a little, it's just boring spending the afternoon catching baby bass and foot long bream day after day, when I could be doing something else.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

I have a small crank magneto. I can get a fluorescent bulb to light up. I've tried but can't get my son to hold the leads to see how much kick it has. 😉
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Andries

@YellowHammer, WV tickled a few memory cells that date back 50 or so years.
The answer might not be 308 calibre, or a 5000 kilowatt electro-fishing boat, which cuts down the fun factor a lot.
"Rotenone" could be your best answer.
. . . it is frequently used as a tool to remove alien fish species,[9] as it has a relatively short half-life (days) and is gone from rivers in the course of days and from lakes within a few months, depending on (seasonal) stirring, organic content, availability of sunlight and temperature.[10] Rotenone has been used by government agencies to kill fish in rivers and lakes in the United States since 1952,[11] and in Canada[12]and Norway[13] since the 1980s.
- From Wikipedia.

Gotta say I'm some impressed Howard. I'll respect the banter that goes on between Tom "Old Greenhorn" and WV Sawmiller a whole bunch more. 
That poking is based on some sharp humour and tack sharp memories.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Peter Drouin

Sounds to me like you do a lot of shooting in the pond is all.
Sorry.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!