iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

joists log sizes??

Started by shad, February 20, 2010, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

Got started cutting logs today to build the house in Jack Sobons book. You can see a picture of my crew and high tech logging equipment in my photo gallery. (couldn't figure out how to attach it here)
My question is about some of the smaller timbers like the 5"x7"x 14" joists. Would they stay straighter if I cut them from a small tree(box heart) or cut several from a very large log?   

jander3

I like the crew.  Logging always works better when clad in pink shoes.

moonhill

What do you have more of?  If you cut them out of the large log, we will say they will bow, just put the bow up to help with the deflection.  Could you use the larger logs for something else?  Small trees taken from thinning and such will make nice joist.  I will have to take a peek at the pictures, but hardwood or softwood?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

shad

mostly hardwood, but i do have a good stand of SYP all around 8" diameter.

ljmathias

Didn't get the "pink shoe" comment till I checked the photo gallery- good to have the young ones helping and maybe they'll learn something if you're safe with 'em.

I've tried cutting beams that are not heart centered- if the log is dry (got a mess of Katrina logs been drying for years) they work fine.  If the log is still wet when you cut it, you might get more movement as it dries.  Heart-centered stays straight almost all the time, and since you can use smaller trees for that, it makes more sense if you're using your own trees.  If you're buying, you might be able to pick and choose. 

Either way works, just differently- plan for what will happen and compensate as you build.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!