iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellawood ??????????

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 03, 2007, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Anybody know anything about this stuff ??  I'm not all that impressed.  Washes off from the rain. Only for Interior use ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Nope , but am ready to be educated  :P :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

Proably need to use yellow exterior paint. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don K

Haven't used any yet, but I see a lot being hauled somewhere.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Larry

Is this Arkansas/south Missouri Yellawood or something else?  Might have a few board foot left round here somewhere.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

If you're talking about what I think, this is Great Southern Wood Preservers licensed name for their Osmose brand of ACQ treatment.

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/NES/Ner628.pdf

Same stuff?

SwampDonkey

smiley_headscratch hmmm, can't be Alaskan cedar, it don't wash off.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

limbrat

It could be from the vitamins your taking.
ben

DanG

DonP is right.  Yellawood is just the brand name for Great Southern Wood's ACQ treated SYP lumber.  Funny they didn't put their distinctive yellow label on them landscape timbers I was talkin' about a few weeks ago. ??? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

The quality of treated lumber used to be pretty good.  Now, it is very poor.  I try to avoid buying it anymore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

From what they are telling us Harold, the wood isn't leaching  ::). That green stuff not washing off is mostly the high levels of copper in the new mix. I've asked on other forums what having the copper washing down over clad windows and other nails or metal will do, nobody has answered, I don't know. Somebody did mention that all the ingredients are there to make a darn good battery.

SwampDonkey

According to the local wood treatment plant, they are still treating CCA for NB and NS.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I am in da dark here ... what is Yellawood ... I read and reread and still dont get it ....  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

It is brand name of treated lumber produced by a company called Great Southern Wood.  They some of the stupidest commercials on TV.  In my experience, it is contractor grade run-of-the-mill pressure treated lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Thank you . Oh you aint the only ones with stupidest commercials on da TV ... we have some winners here too ... :-\

Is it the type that when you unstrap the bundle ...ya get lots of rocking chair parts ...  ???

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Since I started this thread, I have not been able to get back to the house where I saw this stuff, to take pics.  ::) ::)  Just another Marketing gimmick, I believe  ;D

If the stuff washes off, I'm not interested.  :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WDH

I don't think that it washes off.  It is true pressure treated lumber.  The problem that I have found is that the lumber they pressure treat is fast grown plantation pine with a predominance of juvenile wood.  The quality of the lumber they start with is poor.  Many of the treaters buy the cheapest wood they can find, and that ends up compromising the finished product.  Yes, isawlogs, you will get your share of rocking chair parts ::).

Don P

This is off the topic but I had some good shots of what WDH is talking about.

The band of kinda peanut butter colored wood lower left of the heart is reaction wood, juvenile or compression wood. It shrinks lengthwise while drying. I've seen it break screws and shrink as much as 3/4" lengthwise in a 16' board. We're getting more and more of it, grading rules are really vague on restricting it so it goes through with a wink and a nod.

This shows compression wood between the 4th and 5th distinct rings from about 1-5 o'clock. Look carefully and you can see several other small zones of reaction wood. My guess is this was a spindly tall whippersnapper.

This is just a compressionwood wonder, it made for one stiff walkboard, precrowned, sidebend and all.

The treatment is supposed to be just as effective as the old CCA. I think we are just seeing more copper washing off initially.

WDH

I believe the poor quality is hurting the treated lumber industry.  There are now substitutes that utilize wood flour and plastic.  There is more imported wood for decks like Ipe. 

The treated lumber business has been a mainstay and a steady buyer of lumber which is good for the industry, but without some better quality controls, people will seek better alternatives, some of them will be non-wood.

rebocardo

I posted before how horrible quality wood it is and not good for anything. It is so bad, many times I buy landscape timbers (3x5) to avoid using the warped, twain (bark on the wood?), twisted, split on the ends, pieces of pressure treated junk, where they used a 4" tree to make a single 2x4". You can tell by the rings and by how sometimes you get the actual bark on both 2" sides of the 2x4. With the 1+" knots through some of them, there is no way they could pass for structural use.

imo, Strictly for the construction market with Mexican cash day labor.

I found Lowe's has slightly better quality and higher prices so I get my PT lumber there if it is for anything more then my firewood racks. I don't even use it for the trailers or flatbeds I make unless I feel like going through 50+ boards to get a good one. More then once I decided to go get a board, while at Home Depot for other things, and left with no wood.

Yellawood, so bad a dog wouldn't pee on it.

beenthere

With CCA, it was available in different grades of wood. I built a deck with Premium grade (if I recall that correctly) and there were no knots, or bark, and very little heartwood. I ordered about 30% over, stickered all of the 5/4 radius edge material in my garage, and returned all the heartwood boards.

I suspect the ACQ treated lumber can be purchased in different grades as well nowadays. But one won't likely find the higher grades in the box stores. Higher grades are higher priced, believe that or not.   ;D

Treatment is one thing, and wood quality is another. The two don't go together, necessarily.

Many products, such as trusses and engineered laminated lumber, require high grade lumber. The buyers are willing to pay enough for the high grade structural material that it just doesn't end up in the box stores for the public to buy. It's been creamed off for the high value uses. But it is out there for the right money.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on April 07, 2007, 09:40:05 PM
I posted before how horrible quality wood it is and not good for anything. It is so bad, many times I buy landscape timbers (3x5) to avoid using the warped, twain (bark on the wood?), twisted, split on the ends, pieces of pressure treated junk, where they used a 4" tree to make a single 2x4". You can tell by the rings and by how sometimes you get the actual bark on both 2" sides of the 2x4. With the 1+" knots through some of them, there is no way they could pass for structural use.

They've been doing the same here with fir and spruce thinnings the last 10-15 years. Problem is with these big 250,000 per shift sawmills they've eaten up all the 12"+ logs and now are sawing wood at a loss. Even when the market conditions for softwood lumber where all out here in the east, the company still were complaining of loosing money. Anyone in their right mind would know sawing 2.5" (on the top end) isn't profitable. First they went down to a 5" top before going smaller. Stock price has average around $8/share for the last 5 years.

WDH

Thank goodness for the small independent portable sawmiller 8).  That is the only thing holding the quality up ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!