iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on improving skidder stability ?!? Bought a new to me skidder need tips..

Started by RunningRoot, October 08, 2014, 08:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah.  Plenty of hours left on that rubber.  Especially if u add chains. Nice machine.  Thanks for the pics.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

RunningRoot

Thanks Chester>

Bargemonkey> I like that 440D, Good lookin skidder. I had the chance to buy a 440C with a bad transmission, pick up a good used tranny and throw it in. Would have only had 6 grand invested in her with brand new rubber. Everyone steered me away from it tho, said you never know what else is wrong when you cant take it for a test run.

What size cable to you guys run on your winchs ?
Mine had a worn out 3/4'' swagged cable. I could barely pull it up the hill when i got her pulled out 100' on hillsides a man can barley walk.
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

ga jones

I use 5/8 unswaged on both of my machines. I like it cause it's easier to pull it flexes more.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

RunningRoot

Ga Jones>

Have you ever had a problem with 5/8 breaking on you ? Is it stought enough for the really heavy pulls  ?
I have a 300' spool of regular IWRC 5/8 6x26 cable in the shop, this is what I was wanting to put on it.

ga jones

I break choker chains before a good cable. I've only broke the last few feet of cable when it's really wore. I use ferrel and wedges and put it right back together. Regular cable lasts me a year or so. Take care of it.Keep it oiled.Make sure it's spooling right not over lapping and flat spotting . Free-spooling nice.Stretch it once in a while.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

BargeMonkey

I hate to burst your bubble but I would have jumped on a 440C for 6k like a hand grenade. As long as the engine ran good and the pump worked, winched moved.The parts are out there, and yes a 3325 can be a pain but they are a good winch. We are running the 5/8 swedge cable and dont have to many issues, you can skid alot of wood on a cable.

HiTech

I have seen people break planetary gears. Most of the time it comes from putting to much pressure on one tire. Say you have a big hitch and are turning a tight corner on dry good going...that puts excess pressure on one back tire. I normally drop the hitch and when straight or through the corner winch it back up. Also my tires aren't loaded. If they were then I probably wouldn't chain all 4. Besides with a C4 you aren't out to break production records, just pull some wood. The ground where we work is normally muddy. They work fine for me. Run them like you own them and they will serve you well.

RunningRoot

BargeMonkey>  I know, I kinda regret not buying it but at the time I really didn't have the time to run south east after the skidder then run north west after the trans and then put it in.... I needed to buy something I could put to work.
It even had Brand new tires on it, tires didn't have 50 hours. It had brand new paint job, ran like a top and a good winch. Everything other than the tranny was pristine, I could have got the skidder for 4500 and the tranny for 1500.
Just lacked the time to do it all  :(

Hitech> I know my C4D has the lighter axles so I do want to be careful. I dont pull huge hitches anyway. Maybe 3-4 tree length at a time. I figured sense I'm loading the rear tires for stability i didn't want chains on them. I found a set of chains that are combo chains, they are ring chains with 6 studs welded between each ring, gonna put them on the front.

BargeMonkey

I looked at the "combo chains" and think its a gimmick. When that ring chain or "bear paw" hits the sheet of ice thats got more contact than the ice cleat which dont stick out quite as far. I had brand new chains in january and the header was a sheet of ice, you just tried to point for the loader and hope for the best. The close rings are better in my opinion.
@ running root  - if you find a deal like that again send it my way.  :D  the guy who runs our gravel pit has a 440C, there are a few significant changes on a D but they are a nice machine. He figures his machine has over 20k hrs, the previous owner was killed  in the woods and it sat for quite a long time. I have WAY to much free time on my hands here at "work" and generally spend time looking at toys, dealer in VA had a 380C with 3k hrs for 28k a few weeks ago, someone scooped that up quick, run yours long enough till its made you something and find something in that size range, yeah a small machine is nice but 8-10 every time in average wood is nice.

RunningRoot

BargeMonkey>

I think I can still get that skidder and tranny.. I know for certain the tranny is still availible and the last I looked the skidder was still availible too...
That 380C would have been one hell of a deal as well 3k hours isnt nothin in my opinion as long as it was cared for.

Flipping rims, loading rears and putting new cable on in the A.M..
I think I'm gonna do what you said and run her a couple few months, paint her up and turn a wrench here or there and sell her to upgrade.

BargeMonkey

Ive asked ALOT of question here on the FF and everyone has been 100% awesome with their opinions. A big cable, dozer to bunch with and a medium landing loader will produce wood without being so far in debt you cant see straight. A  440C isnt a bad machine, 18.4x26 rubber is just kind of tippy, but they are a good 4-5 tree machine. Your just strictly logging or farming a bit or ???

RunningRoot

70% logging (primary job) but I poor alot of concrete in the sarounding citys with a close family member of mine on a partner kinda deal but he owns the buisness and runs the show mostly. I raise cattle as well and rasing my own tobacco next year. I have my hand In a few different things and its been working pretty well and progressing.  A wise man once told me that if your after honey, you have to stick your hand in more than one hive.. ;D

You dont think a 380C would be to big for me ?

BargeMonkey

I was leery when I bought my 450C if I was going to be way to wide, 90% of the time I fit just fine and she is 122" outside the chains, and never ever, ever try and move it on the 20 ton tag trailer.  :D  Had to take the blade wings off but she fits nice. I think that 380C with 23.1 would pull alot of wood and fit nice, be easy to  move. But, and ive learned this the hard way, your going to want a loader, either off the truck or sitting there, logging up behind an 8-10 tree machine is a nightmare, plus getting unhooked sometimes can be a pain.
My time is limited between "home" and "boat", and as long as I put out enough to feed our mill and firewood orders life is good. Ive got another 12acre area to fence one of these times I get home, we never lack for something to do. My relief here keeps talking about leaving so the quicker the season ends the better I feel, getting sent to the shipyard in Kingston all winter is like hitting the lottery for me, 1.5hrs from home.

RunningRoot

Bargemonkey>

Sounds as tho you are staying busy yourself  :)
I can tell you one thing, I'm starting to fall in love with having a skidder. Makes the life of logging so much easier,faster, smoother .... Dont know how I went this long without a skidder...
Now I need to find something to replace the my old loader that I sold.

I wonder what Ga Jones is gonna do with his old log truck with the loader on it, might have to give him a shout and see if he's gonna sell it..

I pulled about 3 hitch's today before it started raining again  ::) I dunno if it's every gonna let up around here...
A man will need an LGP dozer to get around here before long if it doesn't end soon, or a boat  ;D

Kodiakmac

Quote from: RunningRoot on October 19, 2014, 02:14:43 AM
Bargemonkey>

"... I'm starting to fall in love with having a skidder. Makes the life of logging so much easier,faster, smoother .... 

Not to mention "fun".  ;D

I first bounced my butt on a skidder seat 42 years ago, and it still feels just as good to winch in a big drag and take off with the engine howling and the tires biting.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

RunningRoot

I must admit, It is enjoyable.. :)

I'm gonna try and hit it hard this week, and buy some sort of new loader next week.

xalexjx

check with tire chains required as mentioned earlier. I just ordered a set of 5/8 single diamonds this morning, theyre also offering an additional 10% of with a promo code.  8)
Logging and Processed Firewood

xalexjx

update (skidder chains were delivered today!!!) way faster then i thought i would get them, also noticed they were labeled as babac chains

RunningRoot

Xalexjx,
Thats pretty fast shipping... I'm ordering mine over this weekend.
Babac chains are really good chains from what I understand and hear ?

North River Energy

Quote..also noticed they were labeled as babac chains.

^
^ Might be mistaken, but I think TCR & Babac are part of/owned by Wallingfords...

xalexjx

yeah, 5/8 18.4x26 single diamonds were 1239 shipped, make sure you get the extra 10%

Nate379

I have two complete 1970s era NOS rebuild kits for Mico Loks if you are interested?

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on October 10, 2014, 03:33:03 PM
Mine has the old wireless Mico. Wireless as in no wires at all.  :) Needed a new bleeder and the closest was in Texas. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!