iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

95 Rottne Rapid SMV

Started by danbuendgen, June 16, 2016, 06:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danbuendgen

Quote from: chep on June 21, 2016, 09:12:18 PM
Finally: Stop acting surprised that a 20year old Rottne is acting up. Just jump on for the ride!

I don't mean to sound surprised at all, I knew this would be a learning curve with a Rottne, plus a 20 year old machine has its issues. Every forestry machine I have bought, needed lots of TLC work done to it the first month or two to get it running reliably. I knew this would be no different.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I will be going over all the electronics today, and will let you all know what happened to it tonight.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

danbuendgen

Got to the job today, and decided to just start the machine and try it and see what happens. Started right up, alternator lights went off right away, all gauges worked, and it went back and forth well. So I have no clue as to what the issue was the other day...

Spent the first half of the day checking fluids, greasing the universals, cleaning the sticks and grim out of here and there, ect. Ran it around the job site all afternoon with no issues. The battery looked new, and the terminals were clean. As far as I can tell all the basic connections are clean and tight. The power divider was low on oil. The transfer case does have a little metal dust in the oil. Looks like golden dust. I want to change that oil out soon. All the rest of the oils on the machine looked good, and were full.

I have a feeling the issue is was having the other day could spring back up at any time, but today it went well. Thanks to everyone for the tips and pointers.

Ed_K

Saw mill down in Willamsburg Ma. bought on a few yrs ago. It came in on the float driver unloaded it and shut it off. Next day it wouldn't move,so they left it.Next morning started right up moved a few loads to the green chain shut it off at lunch, wouldn't move afterwards. They tried to sell it to me I didn't bite, now I'm glad I didn't  >:(  :o .
Ed K

danbuendgen

The forwarder seems to be doing its job so far, knock on wood.... Thanks to everyone who gave me some help starting out!

snowstorm

we havnt heard anymore about your rottne  must be working ok?

danbuendgen

Riddle me this: I have been playing around and experimenting with the fan blade direction. I don't have the A/C working yet and was trying to keep the cab a bit cooler.

When its pushing out, the motor runs around 100C+/-, and the overheating light stays off. And the cab runs a bit cooler. And radiator stays clean.

When I have the fan suck in, the motor runs around 90C+/-, and the overheating light turns  on. By the end of the day, leaves and dust plug up the radiator and I overheat in the cab.

I have tried this multiple times, and keep having the same results. I am planning on making a screen to keep leaves out of the radiator. My skidder and last forwarder had the fan pushing out, and they ran cool, 160-170F.

My question is, why does the overheating light turn on when the motor is running cooler? I have tested the temp with an infrared detector. And the temp gauge seems accurate.

Any ideas?

Other then this, I like the machine. I is very stable and gets excellent traction, I have gone on some wicked terrain, loading and driving, and it keeps on trucking. The seals in the main bearings (boom swing and middle pivot) are shot. How much grease should I be pumping in there to keep it greased up well? So far I grease the pins and main bearings every day. I grease the pins until I see grease coming out, and give the bearings 10 pumps scene the seals are shot. Would I be better off to do 5 pumps 2x a day?

snowstorm

is the red lite you see flashing about 2" in dia on the rite side towards the roof?? if so thats the fire supression. saying its so hot it needs to put the fire out

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on June 27, 2016, 08:36:31 PM
is the red lite you see flashing about 2" in dia on the rite side towards the roof?? if so thats the fire supression. saying its so hot it needs to put the fire out

My machine has 2 2" red lights by the roof. The bottom one does flash, but so does the "hog temp" (Swedish) or hot temp light. The hot light has a water temp symbol on it. Like I said the motor run around 90*C. According to my infrared temp gun says the block is 188-190*F. Top of radiator is 180*F and bottom is 100*F. I doubt something is going to catch fire. Or something is not working right...

snowstorm

with the fan pulling its taking engine heat and driving it under the cab that plus the heat from the pumps and it gets hot enought for the fire supression to set off. thats why the bigger red lite flashes. shoot your temp gun under the cab. on a hot day it will be 150 or more under there. i dont believe the big red lite has anything to do with engine temp. up next to the radio is a panel with switichs for the fire supression

danbuendgen

Quote from: snowstorm on June 27, 2016, 09:13:25 PM
with the fan pulling its taking engine heat and driving it under the cab

up next to the radio is a panel with switch for the fire suppression

Right, this is why I wanted the fan to push out, so it wont get so hot in the cab. And so the radiator wont suck up leaves and dust.

I have seen the fire suppression by the radio, I will try to turn it off. But like it said, the both hot water lights and the large red light all flash together. It seems weird.

teakwood

It doesn't matter how much grease you put in if the bushing is worn. with the first movement that grease is out again. people tend to over grease. On my 30ton excavator i grease the arm every day but just 2 strokes per nipple and these are big bushings! You need the grease inside the bushing and pin, the grease you see coming out has absolutely no function other then being a waste and environmental pollution.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

danbuendgen

No, the pins and bushing are tight. What I am asking about are the main bearings for the boom swing and middle pivot point. The seals are shot, and don't hold grease back. I just want to know how much I should be putting in every day to keep them well greased... so far I pump in a ton to be safe. I am told each bearing is $5000! So more is better then less, for sure.

I know greasing pins until grease comes out has no function and is a waste. However, grease it much cheaper then pin work. So I would much rather over grease rather then not enough. I hate to say it, but I am not too concerned about grease and environmental pollution thing. I think blowing hydraulic hoses and leaking oil have to be much worse. Not to mention burning fuel, diesel and gas. Plus, bar and chain oil. Think about all the rubber from skidder tires that slowing break off in the woods. The other day the bottom radiator hose on  my 240 blew. All the coolant went right on the ground. I feel like a few grease pumps is nothing in comparison...

Thank You Sponsors!