iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber-cutting patterns

Started by denis.beliauski, February 05, 2014, 07:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Big To Fail

Hi Denis, welcome!
When I'm cutting pine I almost always cut 1 and 2 inch (25mm and 50mm).  My blade is roughly 1/8" (3mm).  I cut the 25mm and 50mm according to the same pattern so if there's a defect in a 50mm that I missed from the visible side I can saw it back into 2 equal 25mm.  That is to say I an actually cutting 25mm and 53mm (1" and 2 1/8").  There is a little loss in yield but it give my dimensional material a little more heft and I don't end up with any skinny boards when there is a knot or something in the underside of a 53mm and it won't make the grade.  If I was cutting to true 50mm and had to cut out a defect I would have a 25mm and a 22mm, which I don't like.  So my cut pattern on the cant, if I can translate to mm successfully, would be 25, 53, 81, 109, 137, etc.  Just keep adding 28mm each cut.

Anyway, that's how I do it for what is worth.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If strength is important and also straightness, you want to saw the pieces so that they are flatsawn (the rings, when viewed form the end run from edge to edge and the left side is a mirror image of the right side).  Therefore, open the log to a face that it about 15 cm wide, full length.  You can skew the log so that you cut parallel to the bark.  This is important, as even a small amount of slope to the grain reduces the strength substantially.  Once you have this face sawn, turn the log 180 degrees and saw again parallel to the bark.  After this face is sawn, you can straighten the log and take out a wedge to make the two sides parallel.  The amount of sawing on these two faces is often such that the remaining can't is 15 cm or 20 cm thick, so it can be sawn directly into 2x6 or 2x8 pieces.  Note that the core containing the pith and the first 10 or so annual rings around the pith is inherently weak (it is called juvenile wood), warp prone and full of compression wood (weak and warp prone).  Oftentimes, it is better to include the pith in a small timber (10 x 10 cm or 15 x 15 cm) rather than make it into lumber that will warp and be weak (low value).

Make sense?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. You have a good start, especially in the weather you have to deal with. Just keep doing what you are doing and at the same time look at your operation with a open mind to changes that will make things easier and worth while in the long run. Trial and error is my best teacher along with the FF. Good luck. bg

thecfarm

denis.beliauski.welcome to the forum. Been cold here in the states too.
In that second picture is a pile of logs. Is that waiting for the sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LittleJohn

Here is a start on different pattern!

I typically use the Sawing for Grade method, help elimate the number of times you have to rotate the log

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Denis, Welcome to the Forum, great place for information and problem solving. I have been
around for a while and this covers about every topic on Forestry and beyond!
  If Belarus builds their sawmills as well as their Tractors you have a wonderful product. We have a large 4 wheel one with a big logging winch,must be near 25 years old now. Back in the 1980's I spent about two weeks in Czechoslovia
in Martin, Burno and Prague at Belarus factories, I loved it!
     With your determination and ambition I have no doubt about your success.
Good Luck with your venture.  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I sketched two pictures that might help with the sawing technique I mentioned.  First, open the log on the clearest face and usually to a 6" or 15 mm wide face, running full length of the log.  This means that the log is tapered as need to get the full length, 6" wide piece.  (Note that some folks will saw this first piece as 5/4 instead of 8/4.)  Depending on log diameter, you may saw one or two (or gene three for a large log) pieces from this opening face.

Then turn the log 180 degrees.  This 180 rotation assures that will be get minimal warp in the kiln.  if the rings (when viewed from the end of the lumber) are not centered so that the right edge is a mirror image of the left edge, side bend warp is likely, especially with smaller logs.  Now, on the second face, you can open it also to 6", but then when you get two or three pieces off, the remaining cant will be a width that is not correct.  What I mean by not correct is that we want the final width of the can't (width is marked x" in the drawing) to have the pith centered and for the width to be the same as the width of lumber (often 6" or 15 mm, but your market will give you the size that customers like).  So, what we need to do is work backwards from the cant adding the lumber thickness and kerf for boards #4 and #3 on the drawing to get the opening position on face #2.

After we have taken on the lumber on faces 1 & 2 and the remaining can't is the correct size, we then begin to saw off lumber from the cant.  Again, some folks take 5/4 off first, if there is a market for this lumber.  Because the center of the log has juvenile wood and compression wood that shrink lengthwise, plus because the grading rules do not allow the pith in a piece of structural lumber because of the low strength, it is often advisable to saw a 4x4 or 6x6 (or other marketable size) from the center.  In this timber, keep the pith centered to avoid excessive warp.  Some people call this keeping the heart centered.  Note that except for the first piece sawn from each face of the cant, all the rest will not require additional edging.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

denis.beliauski

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 06, 2014, 07:45:05 AM
It may be worthwhile to diagram cutting patterns out on a piece of paper before you try them out.  Just make a circle, and scale things off.  You'll be able to see how you can fit things in a log.  The plus side to this is that it doesn't cost anything to do, and you can do it in the warm.  You'll find different scenarios of how to make different products.  You'll also be able to come up with a way of finding your best target numbers for starting your cuts to get your best yield.  I've done this in the past, and found it helped to plan before you saw.

When you get to sawing on logs, you'll have a plan of action, but you will find times that you will have to find an alternate course.  Sometimes unexpected defects will come up. 

When you get to hardwoods, your sawing style and thinking changes quite a bit from sawing dimension stock.  I also want to compliment you on your English.  Is it used much in Belarus?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for a compliment - it is not really used in Belarus much, since there are two state languages: belorussinan and russian. However, it is the most "learning" foreign language in our schools and universities.
As for me, I've been studying English for about 15 years, but haven't used it at all last several years.
Absolutely agree with you on the handmade patters and will surely try to make some. Thanks!

With best regards,
Denis.

denis.beliauski

Quote from: Too Big To Fail on February 06, 2014, 07:52:04 AM
Hi Denis, welcome!
When I'm cutting pine I almost always cut 1 and 2 inch (25mm and 50mm).  My blade is roughly 1/8" (3mm).  I cut the 25mm and 50mm according to the same pattern so if there's a defect in a 50mm that I missed from the visible side I can saw it back into 2 equal 25mm.  That is to say I an actually cutting 25mm and 53mm (1" and 2 1/8").  There is a little loss in yield but it give my dimensional material a little more heft and I don't end up with any skinny boards when there is a knot or something in the underside of a 53mm and it won't make the grade.  If I was cutting to true 50mm and had to cut out a defect I would have a 25mm and a 22mm, which I don't like.  So my cut pattern on the cant, if I can translate to mm successfully, would be 25, 53, 81, 109, 137, etc.  Just keep adding 28mm each cut.

Anyway, that's how I do it for what is worth.

Hi!

So you mean that usually you do cut the following sizes, right: 25, 53, 81, 109, 137, etc. Okay, but the matter is that if you have several different sizes in your specification (for example: 43x143 and 23x98mm), then it should be sawn into a cant of a necessary size (143 cm, e.g.), and I cannot really understand of how it's better to pre-calculate how to cut the 23x98 from the rest.
Right now, the only way for me to saw different sizes from a log, is to measure a log before cutting each plank. And I will get an unedged plank that should be edged afterwards.
I did my best to explain what I mean :)

denis.beliauski

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on February 06, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
Welcome aboard. You have a good start, especially in the weather you have to deal with. Just keep doing what you are doing and at the same time look at your operation with a open mind to changes that will make things easier and worth while in the long run. Trial and error is my best teacher along with the FF. Good luck. bg

Hi Bill,

Thanks, I'll do my best.
Good luck to you as well!

Best regards,
Denis

Too Big To Fail

I think I follow you Denis, With the cut pattern I described I can get get 2 sizes (25 and 53) without any head-scratching.  If I'm cutting 6/4 (+/- 38mm?) I would have a different pattern.  I find it's easiest to cut to a single pattern per cant for efficiency.  Sometimes I do need to cut different dimensions from a cant and then I start usually start counting on my fingers  :D and often this will mean there is a sacrifice cut somewhere along the line.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Too Big To Fail on February 11, 2014, 07:25:27 AM
...I find it's easiest to cut to a single pattern per cant for efficiency.  Sometimes I do need to cut different dimensions from a cant and then I start usually start counting on my fingers  :D and often this will mean there is a sacrifice cut somewhere along the line.

COMPLETELY AGREE

When you start mixing sizes (thickesses), the numbers can get complicated.  I typically forget to account for a saw cut somewhere in the stack up.

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Denis and all the other Forum members that may have spotted my major
goof! Why did I mistake Our Zetor Tractor for a Belaras? This morning I am walking by our 16145 Zetor and a big light bulb lite up, and it dawned on me that I had Mistook Belaras for our Zetor in the Post a few days ago. Then it came to me that the distributor I got them from handle both brands, thats what I REST my case on. Of coarse if I am beaten up a little I'll understand.
Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

beenthere

Quote from: two-legged-sawmill on February 13, 2014, 02:50:51 PM
goof! Why did I mistake Our Zetor Tractor for a Belaras? This morning I am walking by our 16145 Zetor and a big light bulb lite up, and it dawned on me that I had Mistook Belaras for our Zetor in the Post a few days ago. Then it came to me that the distributor I got them from handle both brands, thats what I REST my case on. Of coarse if I am beaten up a little I'll understand.
Dan sr

We'll let you off the hook easy, if you will post some pics of the Zetor   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

I have always used a set of "target" numbers that are based on the size of the desired product, and the size of the log being sawn. If I am sawing 1 1/2"x5 1/2" boards (sorry for the imperial measurements) I want to end up with a cant that is 5 1/2" wide to saw boards out of. So, I take the 5 1/2" + 1 5/8" (the extra 1/8" to account for kerf) =7 1/8 +1 5/8" =8 3/4" +1 5/8" =10 3/8" +1 5/8"=12". So the numbers for the sides you are working down to a cant would be 5 1/2, 7 1/8, 8 3/4, 10 3/8, 12. Then when you are sawing that cant into boards, you have another set of numbers- 1 1/2, 3 1/8, 4 5/8, 6 1/4, 7 7/8, 9 1/2, 11 1/8. Having these prefigured keeps you from trying to do math in your head while you are sawing and eliminates a lot of mistakes. I hope this makes sense, it is a lot easier to demonstrate with a log on the mill.
Too many irons in the fire

Small Slick

I am brand new to milling. I am sawing strictly to make an unusual flooring  product for myself. So what I did was make templates to help me decide how many  boards 6.125 x 2.375 I could get put of a set of smaller logs. This has been a big help largely because I am not complicating it by trying to get as many boards as possible just as many boards of a specific size as possible.

I recommend making templates.

John

5quarter

Hi Denis...sounds like you're getting great help. I can't add much, but I have to remark on you're command of English. Are you a native of Belarus? an ex-patriot? you write English better than many English speakers :) ;) Very impressive.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kensfarm

Quote from: denis.beliauski on February 06, 2014, 06:16:08 AM
The most difficult thing here is to calculate how many good planks and boards can we saw till the cant is ready.

If you look at the menu above..  select "Extras"..  then "ToolBox"..  there are diff. calculators that can help.  Ken

two-legged-sawmill

Hello everyone, got the pictures on previous post, don't know what I did to get there.   Here is an old saying "To teach an Old Dog, a new trick" not an easy call. As in the pictures, plenty of snow, cold weather and uncertainty.
Maybe Jeff ought to have a private Go To Meeting.XXX , that would give him some sleepless nights. Enough of my difficulties for now!
   Have a great Valentine Day and night.  Dan sr

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: two-legged-sawmill on February 14, 2014, 04:12:24 PM

Maybe Jeff ought to have a private Go To Meeting.XXX , that would give him some sleepless nights.

Be careful what you wish for.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

This will work for the pictures.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.

Give it a try,I want to know how many hp that tractor is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

denis.beliauski

Quote from: two-legged-sawmill on February 13, 2014, 02:50:51 PM
Dan sr

Right, it's not a Belarus tractor for sure :)
Can't say that our tractors are really good (if to compare them with deere's and jcb's), but they are cheap enought and it works here, in Belarus.
I believe, when they export them, then the quality of the product is higher (as it's usual here, in Belarus).

Thank You Sponsors!