iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

General info on using an Alaskan mill

Started by dennisst99, April 30, 2017, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisst99

Hi all. I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting my question in the correct area. (Let me know if not.)

I have recently purchased a Granberg A.M. And have some real newbie questions.

I have a very old  (I've owned it since 1980) McCulloch pro 610 with a 20" bar and a Granberg ripping chain. It still runs quite well and has pretty much the same power as when new. (I can see from other posts that most are recommending a larger chainsaw than I have but that's not going to happen any time soon! )

So anyway, I'm wondering just what type of feed rate I should expect when milling ponderosa pine that is less than 14" in diameter? The wood has fallen off an eroded bank on a friend's property so it is still quite green.

What I'm experiencing is this:

1. the saw dust that is coming out of the saw is just that, sawdust. It looks nothing like what it does with a crosscut chain.  I figured it would be different but this is really fine even with the new chain. Is this normal?
2. It is taking between 8-14 minutes to complete a 9' cut. Is this normal?

Should I not be trying to mill freshly fallen trees?

I've wasted many hours watching Youtube videos but most end up speeding the cutting process so I can't seem to get a definitive answer to my questions so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! The dust from the ripping chain will not be the same as chips from cross cutting with a chain saw. They will be smaller particles  or more dust like. What does the cut look like once you are through the cut and the slab is off?  Hard to say what feed rate "should " be, but won't be real fast in any case.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dennisst99

Thanks for the reply!
The cut looks fine - straight and reasonably smooth for a chainsaw cut. My concern was that it was such a slow process considering that I was cutting pine.  I had made a few cuts in some ash I have had laying around for a few years and even though it is much harder the saw seemed to go through much faster in the seasoned wood. 

mad murdock

If the pine has a lot of pitch it could slow it down more. Does the chain get a burnt looking finish on the cutters when you make a cut in the pine? Also need to keep the chain sharp and depth gauges not too high. Should be about .030" or so lower than cutters.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!