iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interior of Garage

Started by sbishop, December 06, 2007, 12:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, i want to insulate my garage but I don't know what to use for the finish. $$$ is a litte bit of an issue. I was thinking of using OSB. This garage (28X36) is a workshop, place I work on my truck, storage.

any other suggest that are not $$$

thanks again
Sbishop

Dave Shepard

That's exactly what a friend of mine did in his workshop. He painted the lower four feet a gray color to hide the inevitable scuff marks, and the rest white. It has worked very well, and is a lot more fun than sheetrock. And his guys can't smash holes in it hanging the tools up. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sbishop

The nice thing about putting a wood product on the wall is that you can hang anything anywhere! ;D

Warbird

If the garage is attached to the house and you live in a town/city, check fire codes.  Most code I know of states the shared walls/ceiling between garage and living space must have 5/8" sheet rock.

sbishop

it's seperated....I have "his" and "hers" garages...HA

rbhunter

It don't matter, it is like a closet when they run out of storage and need more room they will find ways to justify moving it into yours. :D
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

sgtmaconga

scabs? if looks are not an issue. use the scabs from your trees from the mill. it will be like working a puzzle.
Measure twice cut once

jackpine

I lined the inside of my garage with white pine boards, 12" to 16" wide, that I cut from a dead white pine in my yard. Cut them 4/4 and planed one side only to even the thickness, then put the rough side to the studs. They had a few worm holes but a dab of putty before painting took care of that ;D I painted it all white as my garage always has so much stuff lying around you can't see the first 4 ft. of wall anyway. :D The nice thing is you can mount anything anywhere on the wall.
My shop walls are osb, painted white also, but the osb tends to bleed thru the paint over time. Also harder to nail to osb on 24" centers, tends to bounce other things off the wall >:(
Bill

scsmith42

If you do any welding or grinding, you might want to use sheetrock or metal in those areas.

One of the slickest garages that I've seen had painted metal for the inside panels.  It offered good light reflection, was fireproof and washable.  It was basically exterior metal building panels that were installed inside.

Personally I don't like the looks of OSB, but it is relatively inexpensive!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Danny_S

It was not cheap but i did the indside of my 16' x 24' garage with 3/8 gis plywood. I also like the "hang it anywhere" part and hard to punch a hole in it if the jackall falls over or something. A littel more expense for durability I guess.

I currently have my garage rented to a friend that is doing cabinet work. So when he's not overly busy in there I am going to do more finish work on the garage this winter.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

beenthere

Quote from: Danny_S on December 07, 2007, 05:24:24 AM
It was not cheap but i did the indside of my 16' x 24' garage with 3/8 gis plywood. .................

"gis" is a new term for me... ::) ::) ::) and with google, see it is a new definition of plywood ( good face one side)...Rather than sticking to the standard face grades of A or B, apparently as long as one face is better (gooder) than the other, then the market is accepting gis (GIS) as a definition...smacks of the box store marketing ploy... ;D ;D

It's ok with me, just find it interesting.. like buying "good" logs...they are better than "bad".. ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

G1S has been around for a lot of years and indicates finish (cabinet) quality plywood. It will be free of knots or blemishes on one side.A little pricey to panel a garage wall but if that is what you want, go for it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Left Coast Chris

I do occasional welding so I went with the 5/8" sheet rock.  No problems (holes) so far.  It was cheep and a little peace of mind for fire. 

In a wood shed I used the osb and then put on heavy paint.  Worked o.k. but looses pieces of the osb ocasionally when its rubbed against.  I have seen some tighter osb than others so I may have gotten some lower quality stuff ($7/sheet).
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Danny_S

Sorry I was not thinking quite right...  It was not g1s it was select...  which does have 1 smooth side, but does have knots showing but they are smooth. Any blemishes are filled with that oval/diamond shaped plug or patch, not sure what the correct term is.  I was thinking too quickly when I said g1s   

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Haytrader

::)
I guess we will let you by with it this time.

;)
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!