iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller tables

Started by trimguy, February 13, 2021, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

I have a drag back on my sawmill, but I have not been using it. I have been unloading off the side. I was running some conduit in the shop today, and had an idea for a roller table. A piece of 3/4 PVC slid over a piece of 1/2 rebar. Obviously not as good as a manufactured roller table. But, do you think it would work??

Runningalucas

Try it, but I don't think that'll last too long.  The electrical conduit(sch40), I don't think will hold up on it's own, let alone with a rebar spindle.  Maybe it'll work for a while, maybe it'll work for a long while; it's your dime, and time.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

mike_belben

No not really.  I tried a steel pipe greased up inside a steel pipe.. Loose fit.. And it still kinda bounded up and just skidded stuff along once a load was on.  Needs bearings unfortunately
Praise The Lord

Crossroads

Keep us posted, I would think round rod would work better than rebar. Also, I wouldn't add any grease, that will cause more resistance. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

tawilson

I set up a rudimentary roller table for my table saw using the cheapo screw on roller ball bearings from Harbor Freight. It worked pretty good.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

moodnacreek

I often saw alone and without a roll case I would not do it.  This may be considered overkill but if you ever used a powered , that is fwd. , reverse, jog, stop, etc. controlled while you saw, you would be willing to pay the price. The contraption I am talking about sorts boards and slabs while you saw more.

Bigly

do you have pics of your setup moodna?

Percy

This is what I got behind my LT70....can cut a few logs before moving at all. With a helper, the sawyer just pretty much stands there. I work alone lots and this system helps me get it done.

Sawmill Contraptions - YouTube
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

rooster 58

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Percy on February 14, 2021, 06:10:57 PM
This is what I got behind my LT70....can cut a few logs before moving at all. With a helper, the sawyer just pretty much stands there. I work alone lots and this system helps me get it done.

Sawmill Contraptions - YouTube
Percy that's awesome. And man you can jam! Don't let me down. Pretty cool 👍

Nebraska

mike_belben

Nice!

Are you controlling the air kickers or are they automated somehow?

Your powered rollers, are they daisy chain driven off of the meltable round belts that you buy in a coil and cut to length yourself?
Praise The Lord

trimguy

Thanks for all the comments. I was just looking to do some thing with what was on hand.@Percy that's A nice set up. I'm just a hobby guy, i....... ( i'm not going to say I don't need one ) ;D ;D.  I'll say I don't have room for one right now.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Bigly on February 14, 2021, 06:05:21 PM
do you have pics of your setup moodna?
others have asked. I just got my first cell phone and it can take photos but I need to find the time to learn. It's not that i don't want to, it's just hard for me to get out of the stone age.

moodnacreek

Quote from: rooster 58 on February 14, 2021, 06:22:23 PM
Nice Percy!
This set up does what mine does only it is spread out in a nice yard that I don't have. A set up like this is the only way for one or two men to really get any lumber done especially if they are not young.  My green chain is outdoors, big problem this winter.

farmfromkansas

That is pretty amazing!  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Trackerbuddy

Don't know rules for posting eBay. Real rollers aren't expensive take a look

Note: Link removed by Admin.  You can read FF Rules.  Link at bottom of page. 

Vautour

@trimguy... at the fish plants they make there own all the time using this idea using a piece of Teflon inserts each end about 1 1/2'' long drill hole in the middle and insert small shaft somehow... idea is good... i.ve done some using pieces hard wood of a shovel handle.
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

trimguy

Thanks. I will see what else I have laying around. There are some cheaper roller tables on eBay, but with my set up I'm not sure that they'll even help me. I just thought I would use some stuff laying around. I can always upgrade later.

Percy

Quote from: mike_belben on February 15, 2021, 06:49:14 AM
Nice!

Thanks

Are you controlling the air kickers or are they automated somehow?

When the pice/slab is going down the rollcas, it will hit a mudflap suspended just over the rollcase activating a switch which activates the air cylinders. 

Your powered rollers, are they daisy chain driven off of the meltable round belts that you buy in a coil and cut to length yourself?

There is about 64 feet of rollcase all chain driven.

moodnacreek

Percy, being in a cold climate , how do you keep your air lines from freezing?

Percy

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 18, 2021, 08:04:43 AM
Drain compressor every night, and put about a cup of airbrake anti freeze in compressor air tank every morning. Freezup of the system is worst around the freezing point or slightly above....When its minus mucho, the RH around here drops and hardly no moisture in air tank. Can forget the air brake anti freeze on those days....till it warms up...heh

moodnacreek

Quote from: Percy on February 18, 2021, 09:46:35 AM
Drain compressor every night, and put about a cup of airbrake anti freeze in compressor air tank every morning. Freezup of the system is worst around the freezing point or slightly above....When its minus mucho, the RH around here drops and hardly no moisture in air tank. Can forget the air brake anti freeze on those days....till it warms up...heh
Kinda like carburetor icing. I once worked in a shop, body shop, all air tools, and the compresser was next door with an underground line that was not deep enough. I have done all hydraulic in my mill because of that experience. Takes a lot of time to build a set up like yours but worth all the effort if you are serious.

Percy

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 18, 2021, 01:57:27 PM
Quote from: Percy on February 18, 2021, 09:46:35 AM
Kinda like carburetor icing. I once worked in a shop, body shop, all air tools, and the compresser was next door with an underground line that was not deep enough. I have done all hydraulic in my mill because of that experience. Takes a lot of time to build a set up like yours but worth all the effort if you are serious.
What I like about hydraulics is also why I chose not to use them for my kickers. They are just too positive and strong...One of my first contraptions used hydraulics and my first hangup while using said contraption was the last as the powerful hydraulics bent and busted my apparatus because of the power....I have plans for a trimsaw setup with scizzorlift table..Ill be using hydraulics there for sure. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!