iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberHarvester White Smoke

Started by Bboman23, February 25, 2021, 06:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bboman23

Hello everyone!  My timberharvester was getting diesel in the oil.  We took the head off and an injector was spraying diesel.  We changed out the injector and put it back together. 

Now it's blowing white smoke and running poorly. 

1 - it's missing
2 - it's not idling up correctly. When you do high idle, it'll rev up, down, up, down, etc. 

Anyone have any recommendations for us to try?

Thanks in advance!

ladylake

I'd pull all of the injectors off and get them tested, maybe they got some dirt in them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Gere Flewelling

I am not sure what type of engine you have.  If there is any kind of copper/brass sleeve that the injector sets in to seal it from the engine coolant, it may be leaking around the bottom of that seal and or I suspect a head gasket leaking issue.  Sounds like it is trying to burn coolant.  Usually the case for white smoke.  Another tell-tale sign is pressure in the radiator.  Sounds like it was leaking around the old injectors (which likely were having an issue) and now is leaking much worse now that the area has been disturbed by removing the old injectors.  As for the fuel issue in the oil, I would also look at any mechanical fuel pump leaking diesel fuel into the crankcase.  I think the skipping would be caused by antifreeze in the combustion chamber but fuel in oil might be a second problem.  Good luck!  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

K-Guy

I agree with Gere, white smoke is almost always a coolant gasket leak.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

ladylake

Mine smokes white when it's running out of fuel or has a fuel supply trouble, why to check the injectors first which is easy then chase other problems if they are good.  Should check the fuel supply to the pump first, maybe sucking air somewhere.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tylerltr450

Quote from: K-Guy on February 25, 2021, 12:27:04 PM

I agree with Gere, white smoke is almost always a coolant gasket leak.
That is not correct with diesels that is also to much fuel.
Key is to smell the exhaust is it sweet smelling then its coolant. Smells like raw diesel its fuel.
I put money down its bad injectors
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

K-Guy

Quote from: tylerltr450 on February 25, 2021, 03:32:37 PMThat is not correct with diesels that is also to much fuel.

I stand corrected and have learned something new.
Thank you.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Gere Flewelling

I believe I read in the initial post that the injector was already replaced and the problem occurred after that.  I suspect the spraying injector was repair or replaced.  This is what led to my recommendations. Probably good to sniff the smoke help with determination.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

ladylake

With the head off and all of the injector lines off some dirt could have gotten in the system or even a air leak in the fuel lines.  I like to start with the easy things first like checking the injectors and fuel supply  .  Steve

tylerltr450

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on February 25, 2021, 04:15:03 PM
I believe I read in the initial post that the injector was already replaced and the problem occurred after that.  I suspect the spraying injector was repair or replaced.  This is what led to my recommendations. Probably good to sniff the smoke help with determination.
I would start identifying the smell of the exhaust. based on that i would either go to injectors or head gasket. I replaced bad injectors with brand new ones out of the box and they turned out to be bad also.

New trucks are the worst, nothing is like the old manual systems all the computer stuff kills injectors.
If you get 120K out of stock injectors you are very luck.

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

moosehunter

White smoke that smells sweet is coolant. 
White smoke from fuel is from unburnt fuel, not necessarily too much fuel. Could be an injector that is dribbling fuel instead of atomizing or a compression issue. From your description I would look at the injectors first. Have a reputable diesel shop service and test them. Reinstall with new gaskets/o-rings, ect...
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Joe Hillmann

Does it have a turbo.  At work we had a truck that kept having issues with the turbo and it would just pour clouds of white smoke and lack power.

Thank You Sponsors!