iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Y'all Kin Have'um

Started by dail_h, October 23, 2005, 11:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I keep readin 'bout you guys sawing big logs,and how much you love testing the limits of yourselves,and your equipment. Been sawin for a neighbor for the last 3-4weeks. Started out ok,human sized logs,then when he found out how good these logs were turning out,he musta had spell of some kind.   THE BIGGER THE BETTER   . Last load, all was over 20 inch on the little end,the last one ,26 on little,33 big.
   Whittle,whittle wif the chainsaw to get the mill ta clear,whittle ,whittle wif da mill 'till you can cut decent flitches and cants. HAFTA USE THE WINCH TURNER TO TURN EVERYTHING. a LOT OF LUMBER,BUT i B'LIEVE i COULD CUT MORE/faster outa human sized logs. Yeah yeah I know grump grump grump
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Furby

Tom

I agree, Dail.

Why folks think "the bigger, the better" I'll never know.  Most seem to think that the log has to dry before you cut it too. 

" Yep!  It oughta be about right.  It's been on the ground for 3 years now." :D

Faron

I have a load of pecan coming in the morning.  Owner says some are 36" or more.  Most likely this will be a quartersawing job.  :o Sounds almost like more fun than I can stand. ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DanG

I ain't a fan of big logs, either.

Dail, there's two ways you can go.  1. Switch to an hourly rate and take your time with the chainsaw. 2.  Hand him the chainsaw and tell him to make it fit. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

QuoteTHE BIGGER THE BETTER   

The guy that said that has a swingblade  ;D
30" we are just warming up, bring on the 40s and 50s  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Percy

Quote from: Tom on October 23, 2005, 11:44:16 PM
" Yep!  It oughta be about right.  It's been on the ground for 3 years now." :D
Hahahahahahahahaahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Minnesota_boy

Before you laugh yourself silly, check out the thread titled "Some junk wood I sawed."  Some of that had been on the ground for 3 or more years.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14791.0

Some of the prettiest wood spent a bit of time on the ground.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sawguy21

Most anything in Percy's neck of the woods is going to be moss covered and pretty rotten after being down for 3 years. Oh yeah, and BIG :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iain

Hey i like big stuff
AND i almost got every thing i need to make my wide slabber
27hp 3ph motor
90" connon bar
two peterson rails
and a source for the drive sproket
stack of thick alu tubing
lots heavy cable
pulleys, belts,etc
hire shop for the 3ph genny(mobile)

still no time

Dan_Shade

I like the big stuff too, get a big chainsaw, and quarting isn't so bad.

but it takes time, not real good for production.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

brdmkr

I'll take big logs any time with the swing blade.  Little logs are a pain for me right now.  I am working on some bunks that may help some.  I'd much rather set up over a log that is too big to even think about putting on a bunk.  I can just whittle away on those. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

oldsaw

I like walnut...without nails...  Nice to work with when it's dry.

Then, if I have to handle it, I start losing interest much sooner.  If I can saw it where I dropped it, or found it, I'm okay with 36" or so.  If I have to move it, and don't have the equipment...lets just say...I get attention deficit disorder.  If I have a bucket and loader available, then it becomes 50" or there abouts.  Slab the top, roll it, and let it fly.  If I have the loader for some time, then I can Q-saw if it's oak or sycamore.

I'm not like those swing bladers, but, I guess an Alaskan is the next best thing for big wood.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

dail_h

Finished the giant logs this morning,spent afternoon lealigning and leveling the mill,start sawing reclaimed beams for customer's 7000sqft house tomorrow. Had to rework the mill because my mill sits a coupla inches lower than the skidway,and them big boys just skooched it right off the base
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Sawyerfortyish

Give me the 18-20" small end dia and i'll saw 3 times the footage outa them in the same time that it takes to saw those big pain the neck logs that are always full of hardware.

Fla._Deadheader

Total footage isn't always the best days pay.  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

True, but most of the time it is. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!