iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rear Mount Loader

Started by LaegersATC500R, June 18, 2016, 08:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaegersATC500R

I bought a used tank truck that I'll be using as a log truck. I'ts a 1980 International CargoStar cab over model 1950B. Ex fire truck with 26K miles. DT466/turbo. I'm in the process of  removing the tank. Once that's done I'll be taking my F90 off my other CargoStar Cat 3208 and installing it on my new one. Right now the loader is mounted behind the cab. My question is, is there an advantage to rear mount the loader? Are there disadvantages doing this? I mainly do residential work. I wish I could get these *DanG pictures to download!
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

Gearbox

If it a tandem put it on the back it will give you 4 feet more reach over the back plus you have the option to pull a trailer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

danbuendgen

I don't have a log truck, but I like the rear mount style. That way you can back right up to the logs if you need to. Its much more versatile. With the front mount, you can only be parallel to the wood pile.

Also, I would think a DT466 would be a little under powered for a log truck. I have a buddy with a International and a DT466 with a single axle on a bucket truck, and its a bit under powered going up hills. Is your truck a single, tandem, or tri-axle??? All the log trucks around here are mostly tri-axles, It doesn't take much to get a truck heavy when you are hauling logs, pulp, firewood, ect. Most guys I know that truck logs for a living all will say that the bigger the motor the better, that way you aren't maxing it out constantly. Just my .02, GOOD LUCK with your project!
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

xalexjx

rear mount will give you much better traction empty to for backing up a hill or something.
Logging and Processed Firewood

LaegersATC500R

Quote from: danbuendgen on June 18, 2016, 09:05:45 PM
I don't have a log truck, but I like the rear mount style. That way you can back right up to the logs if you need to. Its much more versatile. With the front mount, you can only be parallel to the wood pile.

Also, I would think a DT466 would be a little under powered for a log truck. I have a buddy with a International and a DT466 with a single axle on a bucket truck, and its a bit under powered going up hills. Is your truck a single, tandem, or tri-axle??? All the log trucks around here are mostly tri-axles, It doesn't take much to get a truck heavy when you are hauling logs, pulp, firewood, ect. Most guys I know that truck logs for a living all will say that the bigger the motor the better, that way you aren't maxing it out constantly. Just my .02, GOOD LUCK with your project!

I have a 466E in the bucket truck. It pulls a 15K lb. chipper just fine. We dont have any hills here though. This truck is only a single axle. I don't usually run a full load so I'm thinkin it might be OK. If need be I'm checking into adding another axle.  The frame needs to be extended and reinforced for the rear mount. BTW any one know of  fabricators who can do this type of work?
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

grassfed

Consider the position of the rear(s). If your rear end is toward the back of the frame your weight distribution will be ok for a rear loader but if the truck has a shorter wheelbase for the frame you could end up back heavy with a rear loader.

A front loader will give you the advantage of working with a shorter wheelbase so the truck will be more maneuverable in tight spaces. Also you will always be limited to the length of the bed with a rear loader because you cannot have overhang. 
Mike

BargeMonkey

I've got a 2005 sterling we built in my yard about 6-7yrs ago. Ithere was bought just as a chassis because out R-model was tired. Debated going cab mount again or rear mount. My hood which was bought yrs ago was originally a rear mount.
Rear mount is nice, I back into jobs, with a big headache rack you don't worry about the cab. Pulling a puppy trailer cab be a pain. I have 25' of bunk and add a trailer plus the rest of the truck and she is long.
Cab mount is easier to do. Less pipe, hose. I've still seen guys pull pups with a cab mount. I do alot of log length fw, again you need to know your market. I rarely cut a saw log over 10-6" your market maybe radically different.
Personally unless you had alot of frame, big power , and wanted to pull a pup I wouldn't rear mount. I've got 430hp in my sterling and I grunt to pull some of these hills in 2nd, without a trailer. How much frame do you have ?

AlexHart

I've run a log truck for years now and personally I would never even consider a rear mount loader.    Rear mounts are absolutely not more versatile if your ever called on to haul abnormal (long) things.   Its also a problem slinging on firewood and stuff when you have to be concerned about headboards.   I also live in a very blue state where weight and avoiding imperial entanglements is a big issue and rear mounted loaders just make the truck more heavy.    Its also nice to be able to swing out your door and be on the loader in like 3 steps without ever even touching the ground, use the cab roof to fix hoses, much shorter distance to shut it down when a hose blows and a bailout is necessary etc.   

The two things that the rear loader are great for though is if you have any interest in running a pup trailer (we can't in CT) then obviously that's a huge factor and also if you do chipping and want to be able to feed a chipper its nice to have the loader on the back to have more of an open area to do that.   If you do either of those then a rear loader is probably the way to go, if not I personally say the front loader is the only way to fly but I guess its all very subjective. 

chevytaHOE5674

Every truck UP here pulls a pup trailer so a rear mounted loader is a necessity. Also if you deliver firewood the rear loader is nice when you drop the pup trailer it gives you a lot of reach out the rear and you can stack wood in some crazy places.

killamplanes

I pull a pup so mine rear mount
Have heard front mount is hard on frame because it sits in a weak spot centered between front and rear axles. But my rear mount not to easy on frame either way back there
But for what I do rear mount all the way.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!