iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather starting

Started by concretecutter, January 03, 2016, 05:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I picked up a Kat's 1,500 watt circulating heater at Car Quest the other day for my 3-53.  I'll power it with my 2,500 watt genny once I get it installed :)  I've never needed heat for my Deutz.  It starts in really cold temps with just a whiff of ether.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Logger RK

I used 2 use pickup 2 heat up Eq but got a Hot Box heater. Runs off 12 volt & gas. Heats much faster then a pickup & has a exhaust pipe with very hot air that u can put towards oil pan or pumps. It'll heat a Mack 6 cyl from -30 to ready 2 start in 1/2 hour plus on Mack oil pan can b warmed. Also for my 5 cyl Deutz I can park next Skidder with 453 Deitriot & heat both at once with The Box. Blowing exhaust on the air cooled. But u have 2 watch that it's not aimed at the push rod covers or it'll heat the springs 2 much & the o rings leak.  Learned that the hard way. But if only starting the TF C5D with Deutz ill put salimander heater on it. Had -31 at 6am today so waited till 9am & temp was -10 & put sali on the 5 & less then 1/2 hour it was running. Tell it was pretty cold as stiff as the tranny was. I've rebuilt the 5 b 4 & they say hide the either can from the Duetze. With Deitroit's buy it by the case. Also if u don't have a thermometer, best way 2 tell if it's 2 cold 2 start Eq is if u pull motor oil dipstick out a foot & let go & it snaps back in u might as well go home & watch Gun Smoke.

millcreek40

I did have spit swappers on my 460 ford & I had heard the rumors about blowing head gaskets.  Long story short the 460 did blow a head gasket. Perhaps just a  coincidence ???? It was a jasper motor & when we took it apart the head bolts didn't seem like they were very tight to me. I now have a generator & a block heater.  They do work very well though & I know a lot of people who used them for years with no issues. My thought is when your truck or skidders thermostat first opens it getting the same cold antifreeze from whichever radiator 🤔🤔🤔
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Logger RK

Now a day later & rembering back the reason I give up on pickup hook up was I got a different pickup & when it was below zero pickup would b warm & hook it up 2 cold Eq pickup would go 2 high idle like it was just started pushing anti freeze out the Eq being heated. But what ever works 4 somebody is just fine with me. That's y were called independent Logger's (or at least I am)👍

timberlinetree

The mistake I made was when Brookie and I built a box to put over the genny to keep the falling snow off of it. We cut a hole for exhaust but that was it. Fired it up and went chopping. Came back to a non running genny. Got to hot I guess. It was brand new but now is hard to start( I did change the oil right after that tho).
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

timberjack 240a

Last year was pretty cold here and was having trouble getting my 240 running. About 20 below. Thought about setting my pickup and log truck up with quick connects but decided i didn't want to be swapping antifreeze between that many engines. Was at a store and saw a "little buddy heater". Runs off of small camp stove propane tanks that sell for about $5 for a pair. Bought the heater, two tanks, and a small tarp. Everything was under $100. I just open an engine cover, set the heater on my axle and throw the tarp over it. About 15 minutes blowing on the fuel pump, filters, and air intake. Fires right up. Pretty cheap and doesn't take up much room in the truck. Nice to have if you need to work on saws in the cold too.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

gspren

You can get a hose and run that Little Buddy off a 20 lb bottle extra cheap.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!