iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Shed in the Works

Started by WV Sawmiller, February 14, 2020, 06:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Howard, I am shocked and disappointed! :o How could you think that of us? I mean, if we took your wallet, you wouldn't have any money for us to help you spend! So not only would it be just wrong, but it is also not logical. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

Having just got back from the dentist... I didn't even get a hug and my wallet might as well be gone  :'(
Yeah I know, no sympathy for self inflicted  :D
Too close for me to tell, I was looking at loose tops in both pics below the pic with your Mom in it in reply 417.

WV Sawmiller

Don,

Thank you for your concern. Now you know that uprights on her right were secured and I will rectify (and fix) the one on her left. ;)

Tom,

I certainly would not imply any nefarious conduct on your part but for the rest of the miscreants... ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 23, 2023, 02:43:45 PM
Tom,

I certainly would not imply any nefarious conduct on your part but for the rest of the miscreants... ::)
Howard:
I've been called a lot of things, however that wasn't one of 'em.
Besides I thought I heard where your wife handles all monetary matters.  Maybe it was someone else.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

GAB,

I apologize. I did not realize you were going to be in on the group hug. 

(Just in case I might should also check for my watch and car keys. :D :D)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

In an attempt to get back in the good graces of the safety sub-committee of the design committee I went ahead and attached the upright in question to the adjacent 2X6 rafter using a short cut off of a 2X4. Hopefully this will be up to the appropriate codes applicable.

I do see I need to get up on the roof with some pop rivets and fix several nail holes in the used roofing. I had put tar/mastic in them but I see they have gotten hot and dripped through and a couple leaked in a rain shower we had this afternoon.
Howard Green

doc henderson

Howard, I know you are a minimalist, but you might want to drive a nail through the blocks, or drive a screw, or at least some glue for goodness sake!  :snowball: looks good.     :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc, 

I think you got snapped in the face one too many times removing that one rubber glove. ::) Just because they don't show does not mean there are not already 3- 16d nails in the block and the rafter. ;)
Howard Green

doc henderson

Well, at least I am the one wearing the glo...  never mind! :D :D :D  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, when Howard drives a nail he DRIVES a nail! I bet he has to check once in a while and make sure it didn't come clean out the other side! (Besides, it's really hard to see those 28ga. pin nails in a photo anyway.)
 Howard, those gloves don't snap like the old latex ones used to. Did you know it takes more training to teach folks how to properly remove exam gloves than it does teaching them how to put them on? There is a very specific process for removal that must be followed and snapping is not part of it. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Yes, I learned the technique of removing the gloves so you roll one up into the other etc. It seems to work better than the old days of holding it with your teeth but you know Doc is from the Old School so ...  :D
Howard Green

doc henderson

we did not use gloves in the old days! :o  blood draws and other procedure like intubation.  now you see tiny girl docs wearing the smallest disposable glove that are twice the size of there hand, and they cannot function.  yes I always wear gloves for rectal exams.  I know of one guy who was an ass and the finger of the glove doing the work broke and slid up his finger.  is carma spelled with a c or a k? 8)

JD Guy

Quote from: doc henderson on March 25, 2023, 05:57:59 PM
we did not use gloves in the old days! :o  blood draws and other procedure like intubation.  now you see tiny girl docs wearing the smallest disposable glove that are twice the size of there hand, and they cannot function.  yes I always wear gloves for rectal exams.  I know of one guy who was an ass and the finger of the glove doing the work broke and slid up his finger.  is carma spelled with a c or a k? 8)
Oh,,,This is one of those things that you just can't "unsee".  ::)

WV Sawmiller

I started moving some of the LE slabs into the new bins yesterday and today. 

I first moved my last two really big walnut slabs and mantels into the tall bins between the 2 bays. That second slab to the right weighed 585 lbs when fresh cut and has air dried 3 years but it is still very heavy! I had to use a snatch block and the winch on the ATV to stand it up then walked it into place with a lot of grunting and a 3' crowbar. Next to it is a a 10'10" 4" thick walnut mantel which was also heavy for this one old man to move alone. ::) Anyway I got them all into place.

These are 10' X 8/4 walnut slabs in one of the new bins.

Some 8' Walnut slabs stored against the back wall of the newly floored bay.

I started moving a stack today and remembered I had a bunch of short crotches and such. Several of the slabs came from about a 3' stump I cut off a couple years ago. I went ahead and built a shelf across some handy bracing there in the corner to make an additional row. All was going good till I bent a 16d nail in a hard ash 2X6 I had drilled undersized pilot holes in. I used my 3' crowbar to pull the nail and when it did come free it smashed my R ring finger down on the rim of a big coffee can I was using to store my nails. Suddenly stacking slabs was not as much fun as it had been so I dripped and spit blood for a while till I finished the shelf and stacking the pieces on the forks of the FEL. 

After that I went and loaded the truck and hooked up the mill to go do a mobile sawing job about 35 miles away in the morning. I will finish stacking after that is done and saw some more boards for the doors. It is looking like I will have plenty of bin storage for the slabs I currently have in stock. The shelves I was using for them will be handy for small crafts like bird houses and crates and such.
Howard Green

Don P

I hate it when you have to go back to work and heal up so you can play again.

WV Sawmiller

No picture as nothing huge changed but I did install about 4' X 12' of siding on the front of the shed this afternoon to help keep rain from blowing in on the stacked LE slabs. Fresh cut and right off the sawmill. Now I just need to build 2 doors. I moved a few slabs yesterday and some more today and did a little police call to pick up a bunch of board cut-offs and such. Today I stacked a couple hundred stickers. Now I just need to start using the freed up shelf space to store other small things like bird houses, bench legs and such to better utilize the space I do have. 

Yesterday I also got up on the roof and inside with the rivet gun to seal some holes in the used roofing. I sealed the last one today so that looks pretty good.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!