iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

We have been selling a few of the quartersawn boards out of this log (from post 2 or 3 on this thread) but today a customer showed up who scheduled his visit last month and bought all that we had left.  We scaled it in his favor and his total came to $1485.  He started peeling off $100's and handed me 17 of them and told us our price was too low and he did not feel right paying any less.  First time we've ever gotten a $215 tip.

This guy bought a good whack of live oak from us a year ago and wants more.  He is in luck as we have several good, hard sawing live oak logs in the yard now.  @WDH , I still would like to give you a few live oak logs but I don't get to head up I-75 often these days.

We have not sawn anything in the past week and a half but we have been unloading and loading the kiln, delivering wood to the local hardwood store and doing those chores that are on either side of a sawmill.

Our next saw jobs will include several water oak logs, a few nice cedars and a big whack of eucalyptus (these may be a challenge).

Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Cavey,

Why do you want to give Danny some live oak logs? Other than mis-placed SEC loyalties (which he apparently came by honestly so what can you say) he is a pretty good guy. Are you mad at him or something? ;)

I have a 2 pile job for the same customer. This pile is 19 miles from home and I've been wanting to saw it most of the week but it has been drizzly, miserable weather. It looked like it was going to break and a week of real good weather is predicted starting tomorrow so I drove over and set up in a tight spot (The customer forgot to move a big box trailer and was not available today) and started sawing.

I had to start with a pine log about 3 logs up as the bottom front log was wedged too tight to move easily. I sawed the pine and 2 ROs for about 224 bf. I'm having to do the stacking, cutting and placing stickers so I'm not breaking any speed records but then again, I'm not slowed down waiting on an inexperienced helper either. It started spitting rain again just enough to get me soaked and miserable so I packed up and came home. I think I'd take Sampson to the flea market tomorrow then return and whittle away on this whack of logs.

I'll probably go up a few more layers then put some thicker dunnage in between so the customer can get his forks in and lift the stack separately and stack as high as I can comfortably work then build a new base this side of this stack and continue.

When I finish here I will go to his other stack down on the Greenbrier River 14 miles to other way and saw for him and 7-8 logs for his neighbor. Both of them are repeat customers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hilltopper46

Wednesday I sawed up a big red cedar log (my first red cedar). Made a bunch of 2x4s and some 2x2s.  If my math skills were better there would have been more 2x4s and fewer 2x2s. Any way, there was a lot of pink sawdust on the ground when I finished up. <

br>

Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

caveman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 09, 2021, 05:27:59 PMWhy do you want to give Danny some live oak logs? Other than mis-placed SEC loyalties (which he apparently came by honestly so what can you say) he is a pretty good guy. Are you mad at him or something?
Danny mentioned to me one time that he would like to have a few live oak logs.  The wood is beautiful, but man, sometimes it saws hard.  Today's customer prefers live oak to build furniture out of.  We have some nice logs to saw when we get a little time.  Our real jobs and family commitments limit our sawmill time.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Okay. I don't care what the other members say about you. I think you're an OK guy too. I hope you get some prime LO logs up to him. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Danny's Bulldogs were vicious today. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

Yes, in Auburn we are checking to see if those grief counselors in Baton Rouge are available. :( Well done dawgs.
Howard Green

LeeB

I thought maybe you thought more of Danny than to inflict him with Live Oak.  :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jimbarry

Been a month or more since we were making sawdust. Finally got some time yesterday to finish up some leftover spalted maple and birch. Cut them 4" thick x 4ft long. Gonna shove them in the kiln next week and see what happens.

And a 10x10 birch for the wife's newest project. Some thing like a long hall table, 2 m&t joints, made from 3 pieces of an 8ft length. We'll see how that goes.  :)

WDH

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

I had a small world type of thing happen today.  I was working today and we were at a fundraiser for an agency that raises funds to help the families of fallen and injured first responders in the St Louis area.  I was sitting and talking with a fellow firefighter from a neighboring department.  We were talking woodworking and showing each other things we had made.  He then mentioned that there was a cutting board in the silent auction that he was hoping to win for his wife who really liked it.  He told me what it was like and I told him I'd been selling wood to a lady who was making boards something like that.  A while later he was taking me to the table to show me the board because he wanted to know about the resin that was used in it.  As I was walking to the table I heard a voice say, "Hey I know you".  It was my customer.  Instantly I knew that the board he wanted was made by her.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

we made coasters and boards to have a glass of wine on and maybe some snacks like meat and cheese (mini charcuterie) with the inland orchard vineyard logo on.  I am getting low on my thin coaster stock.  i made some at 1/4 inch, and some at closer to 1/8th.  he likes the 1/8th.  so need some more dried thin stock.  took 4 days to dry last time.  here is the other half of the big ugly maple log with beauty inside.  

my buddy Jim, is at least wearing gloves.  he sawed a few minutes and i got a pic. 

had some bibbying work to do.

19 wide by 24 inches tall.

a bit of figure, and i hope it is in the other profile as well.  there was a crotch in this area.

a 1 inch side wood that will make a good 1 inch thick large charcuterie board with some interesting color and grain. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Are you saying Jim is 19" wide and 24" tall?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I started the day with a visit and shopping trip to the flea market with Sampson. I picked up 3 watermelons and the man said that is the last of the season. I guess we are the last melons anywhere and we don't find them every year. I got two very good ones from him last week. He works on a big sawmill operation over in Covington VA.

I returned to my sawing job a little after 11:00 and sawed till dark. I whittled away 8 logs for the day. Sawing, stacking, setting up new piles takes a long time for me. Also a neighbor of the customers came by to pick up a big plastic tote and I had to move my truck and I helped him load it.

I had one short (7') RO log to saw and added a few 8' boards I'd trimmed out from others.

I ended the day with 635 bf of 4/4 boards from 4" - 12" wide. I did learn a new technique I plan to continue to use.

For many years I had edged my flitches against the cant they came from. I find this gives me a much more stable surface to edge against. The downside is often when I get low on the cant and release the clamp to stand the flitches against the cant, because of tension and the reduced weight, the cant will rise up. For me that means either a lost or defective board as I have no way to pull it back down and trimming to remove the bow/dip will cost me one board as I had already started sawing the cant on a predetermined mark. What I decided today was instead of releasing the clamp I'd just saw to the rails then edge the flitches with no cant for support. This worked well and the cant did not rise up because I had the pressure from the clamp and the weight of the unstacked board. Before I moved the finished boards I realized they were just as stable as a cant so I just stood the flitches up against the stack of boards, clamped and edged as normal. If edging down to 6" I'd leave about 5-4/4 boards. If I found I needed to edge down to a 4" board I just stack the finished boards leaving 3. I can see no reason not to continue using a stack of boards instead of an unsawed cant and I see no difference in the stability. thumbs-up

Its so simple I see no reason I never thought of it before. ::)

Hopefully I will finish tomorrow as I need the mill here for a customer bringing several logs for 2X4s first thing Tuesday morning.
Howard Green

doc henderson

I think he is a little taller and a little wider!  I ahsrpened the 046 without my readers. so it wtill was not that sharp, so we finished the biibying with the 880 an the 5 foot bar.  it makes a nice straight line.  I will stack and sticker in my small jig and put a couple fans to it in the shop.  got to make hay when the sun is a shining. :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on October 10, 2021, 10:31:20 PMgot to make hay when the sun is a shining.

And the baler isn't on fire.>:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Wasn't sure how good the flash photography on my little digital camera but it was after 8:00 pm before I finished and packed up. Here are 2 new stacks of 12' & 10' and added some 7' & 8' to yesterdays stack. Looks like about 700 bf today to finish the job. I am a worn out puppy dog after the sawing, stacking, setting up stacks and fighting to get the logs from a 5 high stack to the mill. I even put a bunch of metal on the double stack from yesterday. The customer had a bunch of cut off pieces laying there so I went ahead and used it. I did not have time to cover today's stacks so that will be on the customer. I sawed one big 10' RO logs and had planned on some pretty 12" wide boards but there were several knotholes and so much punk I ended up throwing most of them on the trash heap and several of the others are aching for a River Table woodworker as a new owner. I am glad this one is in the books.

I have a customer coming in the morning to have 3-4 pine logs sawed into 2X4s so I had to finish and bring Mildred (Milly) home so delaying another day was not an option.
Howard Green

samandothers

Quote from: Southside on October 10, 2021, 10:47:04 PMAnd the baler isn't on fire.>:(
Oh no,  I hope this is not foreshadowing of a story to follow.  

samandothers

Doc,
When cutting to 1/8" do you have issues with splitting or breaking apart when working?  The wood that is, not you 

Satamax

Needed some posts for a handrail. Allez, hop.

Done in less than hour. With changing a phase, because i rewired the saw with bigger wire lately. And i'm happy with the cable follower that i have done in july too.

Doesn't need to be that dry.

A trip to the lumberyard would take me more than that. And i did few other cuts to maximize the yield.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WV Sawmiller

My customer called to confirm I had my mill back and we were on as scheduled. He drove up Johnny on the Spot with these 4 logs off one pine tree and wanted only 2X4s. A piece of cake. Got 3 out of the little 10' and 27 out of the 12' logs but 2 had so much bark on them I did not charge for them. He may get some use out of them and I had to cut them to hit my marks anyway. He left before I got a finished picture but I had him back his truck up to the mill and we slid all of them and the slabs/edgings back into his truck. He and his son were good help, they took back everything but the sawdust and it was a real pleasant start to the day. I'll end up sawing for him again when he can get some more logs together. I could almost give up mobile sawing if I could do this regular.

BTW - this was one of my Flea Market contacts where I took the mill over for advertising and to sell a few benches and birdhouses and such. I sometimes get calls a year later after such a trip.
Howard Green

doc henderson

as long as the saw is cutting true, that is not a problem.  i have cut 1/16th inch as a test of the mill and it does well, and is fun to look at holding it up to the sun.  no way to dry it well, unless you made bentwood baskets or boxes or something.  the 1/8th inch stuff is harder to dry and gets a little wavy on the edge with stickers in my setup centered on 7.5 inches.

also trying to sticker cookes cut on a tangent.  these went into my container with a DH, and fans.  we had a nice rain with thunder a bit ago.  the cant is shown ready to make some more pieces.  this is the second half of the big 4 foot log/trunk we have been milling.  was able to cut through 7 layers at a time to make them all about 24 inches ideally to fit in the engraver.  

got some elp by my neighbor sawdust jimmy @Jim Thomas .  he did a lot of cleaning boards while a did the stickering in the shop.

my thin stock rig for the 18 x 24 stuff.

VB-Milling

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 12, 2021, 12:28:28 PM
He and his son were good help, they took back everything but the sawdust and it was a real pleasant start to the day.

If they off bear as well as the guy bucks logs, it must have been good help.  Those logs all look exactly the same length!
HM126

WV Sawmiller

He said he was an old sawmiller. I think he used to run a Frick and said his son was off-bearing when he was about 7 y.o. When we started he told me he just wanted as many 2X4s as the logs would yield and a little bark was okay. Many times I've had a customer grab a board out of my flitch pile where I was going to edge off an inch or so to clean it up and he'd say "It is fine for what I'm using it for as it is." Those kind of customers are a joy to work with.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!