iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

would love to see pics of the axe and you receiving it.  you are probably to humble to otherwise toot your own horn with pics.  congratulations for a job well done.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

The pic is not great, but it is my Dad(my first chief) presenting the axe.  Then of course me and Cindy.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

I do have 1/2 dozen small lasers and as ffots said they basically come with minimal instructions,  slow support, and are slower. The one thing all cheap lasers have in common is they can run on lightburn that is a good control package that is slowly implementing drawing and editing of artworks. They also need enclosures with exhaust to remove hazardous fumes. So unless you have lots of time to fiddle with them and build libraries they may not be the best for a business environment.  Most of the better co2 lasers are faster and come with better software packages and a phone number to get fast response support that can make a big difference when running  a $100 an hour machine with limited overhead. It all depends on your  business  plan. I recently received  an email  from one of my viewers that has taken a hobby diode laser to a business with 4 xtool D1 pro diode lasers that he runs on the side. He sells online and buys blanks for cutting boards, cheese boards, and signs then custom engraves them making $1000 a monthly profit on average for a couple hours of spare time. But has spent a year playing with them to get to that point. His wife handles the shipping. So yes the cheap lasers can make money but it not an instant asset figuring them out. I have made many gifts with mine and can cut up to 3/4 slowly but it has been a long learning period. For wood, leather, rubber stamps, and anodized business cards they are fun if you have the time to learn to use them. I just think better software, speed,  and support a ready to run machine makes it worth spending a little more up front. Some nick nacks I have laying around.

If you find someone local with good turn around it's a good way to find out the value add it would to your business.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

21 what is the story behind the bench.  looks like great quality laser work.

Bill, thanks and congrats again.  better put the axe away or your up and coming son may go do some logging with that.   ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Doc I got tired of working on my tablesaw for a flat surface  and also looking for misplaced tools so I built it using 2 purchased dog hole 25 x 54 tops. They also work as a downdraft table that's better for fumes then sawdust.  Don't  have pics but the last 5 minutes of this final build video shows it. Best addition ever for my tiny shop. Those dog holes are my favorite part.
Ultimate Workbench Build Part4 Finally Finished - YouTube
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

Very nice.  I forwarded the video to a doc buddy getting into making guitars, and musical instruments.  He and his dad came to get material for building a bench in a small area.  how did you make the labels?  stencils?  I use tool box drawer liner on my surface so it holds still while sanding and to protect from finished.  several styles.  solid and some is woven with beads so stuff like dust can get through.  also what does the Asterix on the square stand for.  I imagined it meant it had been tested for square.  thanks again.

21incher

I think dog holes in a bench would be handy for guitar making. Mine is over 500 pounds so it's solid but impossible to make mobile.
 I use a Cameo 3 vinyl cutter for labels, auto graphics, heat transfer vinyl for shirts and hats along with print and cut labels for things like canned goods. Orcal has all different vinyls for different applications. There's a newer model available now that can cut 3mm wood and things like leather.  
  I have a sanding station with a big sheet of the gripper material and filtered box fans To catch the dust. The poor tops have many nicks and drill holes in them now but still have stayed almost perfectly flat.
  Your right. That square is the oneI keep Calibrated using a prick punch and certified machinist square. The 3 behind it are for non critical work after being dropped a couple times. I better stop side tracking this thread. 

Old Greenhorn

Bill, huge congratulations on your milestone. I have a little idea what's involved in that achievement and I want to thank you, and your family for your service. That axe is a beaut! Glad you got one with a hickory handle rather than the yellow plastic one that everyone runs on the job now. ;D
---------------
 Thanks for all the info in the previous posts, it help a good deal with my perspective and thinking, going forward.
-----------
 As promised, today was indeed another day. So after chores I got another late start and began work on the ODH joint prototype. I had normal math error that made the box 1/4" short in one dimension, but I made it up in another dimension so the box actually has a little more  volume than it should have by a tad. This is just a prototype anyway. Cutting to the chase, here's the joint:

And here is the box before finishing.

It glued up pretty easy and square but I still needed blocks inside to keep it fairly square. No big deal, I think they will all need that. I am considering putting a bullnose on those tag ends sticking out, but I need to get a bit for that. This was just to look at and think about like the others before it. This particular one will sell as a 'second' or get used for something else because it has some flaws.
 So I have tried 5 different corner joints: The square butt joint, the locking miter joint, the column corner butt joint aka the 'Ted Joint', the miter fold up tape and glue joint aka the 'Bill Joint', and the full dado joint aka the 'ODH Joint'. Just goes to show the effect the contributions here to make a difference.
 I am not sure which joint I think is 'the winner' if there is one but I am partial to the Bill joint for it's simplicity and easy fast cutting of parts. I'd have top do a short run of them to try it out fully.
 We haven't heard from Nebraska lately to see what he thinks. Tomorrow is another day, I'm tired and need to do the evening chores.
-------------------
 I went out this afternoon to get milk and saw that a dozen eggs was gone from the stand, so just for giggles I stopped and checked the money box. No cash, so I got concerned. I called Bill and yeah, he ran out on a quick job this morning saw a dozen had sold and he got the cash. For a minute I thought somebody was now stealing eggs. Glad to see that is not the case and everything is fine. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I like the simple Dado type joinery but don't understand how you connect the box to the base. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

Do you think there will be any issues with seasonal wood movement?  I'm mostly thinking about how the bottom attaches to the sides.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

a bead or a round over will help finish the corner.  the ODH will also be strong.   :)

Old Greenhorn

I guess I never explained the bottom. It is much like the top, it has a raised island I form with a bottom cleaning router to create the shelf. So I glue the sides of the box, let that dry, then drop it over the island with more glue which centers it nicely. I do leave some clearance so it slides on, but is not driven on. Same for the top. Even with seasonal movement, I think it will be ok. It's not the type of box that would be opened and closed daily, so there is that. The contents would be in a plastic bag anyway.
 Yes, that ODH is strong and the parts fit tight, I had to tap them in, I should maybe make them a tad looser for glue space. I just don't know how I like the little edge sticking out. I have to ponder it. And it doesn't matter really what I like anyway. I am not the end user.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

you can experiment with some routing.  but it should be easy to mass produce.  you could orient the grain so the bottom and sides expand and contract together.  lots to ponder, but tomorrow is another day.

beenthere

QuoteI am not the end user.

We hope not. Might have to make it larger if that be the case.   :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nebraska

I've been at a continuing education conference over the weekend. Low and behold there was a fellow who called himself a "pet funeral director"  set up in the exhibit hall.  Just a couple pictures of his wares.

The little box on the top left of the second shelf  is the one  in the first picture. Had a tight fitting slider lid  but no latch. It was "hand carved" in India, probably by some semi slave labor....
 I took the picture to  show here and grabbed a little information  chatted a bit, figured I had done enough espionage and went on.  :)
I think you need a trail camera on that egg stand.
Congratulations on your 30 years Bill
that axe is awesome.

Resonator

Crongrats Bill on your achievement! smiley_thumbsup

Suggestions for inscriptions...
"I support random Axe of kindness."
"A long career is no Axe-ident.
"How long have I been a fire fighter?...glad you Axe." ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

OK res, do not be a pain in the Axe!   :snowball: :D :D :D

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

don't axe, don't tell?   :)  did I axe-ually just say that?   :)  your axe-illa is your arm pit. :)

doc henderson

Tom it helps us to understand why you do not just go buy something.  
21 to get to 1/8th inch, I run it through the 24 inch wide drum sander.  have to be careful as the heat from the sanding can cause some warping, it is best to alternate sides while sanding.  the 24 x 18 inch sheets can have a little curve, and it is not perceived when cut into 4 x 4 coasters.  

Old Greenhorn

You guys are behaving axe-actly as I axe-pected you to as soon as Resonator kicked the rock over the edge of the hill :D.
Bill tell your son when he can hold that ax by the butt end out straight from his outstretched arm for 60 seconds he can use it. ;D

Doc, I have this very old world habit, if I don't have the money, I don't buy it. ;D  I know a lot of folks today buy stuff they don't have the money for, but I just can't seem to pick up that habit. ;D Maybe it's a character flaw, one of many I guess. :D

21incher

Thanks Doc. I haven't had much luck with my thin stuff being stabile. I found a company that specializes in thin wood and am going to order a sample pack 
Sample Pack | Ocooch Hardwoods
They have domestic and imports and I want to try some laser marquetry also so that will give me some to try even if it is in narrow widths. Looks like a small family operation.

Tom I go by the Henry Ford quote.  'If you need a machine and don't buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it.'

firefighter ontheside

Oh my you guys are punny.  Thanks for the congrats.  The axe is hung up with the rest of my fire service awards.  I was out in the shop looking for some sort of hooks to use for hanging the axe but couldn't find anything.  Googled it and saw where someone had used leather straps.  An old belt of mine got the axe, literally.  Tom, I will tell him what you said, but hes got a long way to go have arms to do that.  He has what we call soccer arms.  His legs are like tree trunks though.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 21incher on January 30, 2023, 07:21:49 PM

Tom I go by the Henry Ford quote. 'If you need a machine and don't buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it.'
Yeah, but Henry had plenty of money so I guess it was easy for him to say that. By the time people were writing down what he said, he was not choosing between buying tools or buying food that week.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on January 30, 2023, 07:53:06 AM
I took the picture to  show here and grabbed a little information  chatted a bit, figured I had done enough espionage and went on.  :)
I have a bunch of boxes from the 40's-60's that precision tool used to come in and most of them are really tight seasonally. I am not so sure that design is what folks would want, but I suppose I don't know. I do know it's not one I would choose. What do others think?
 Thanks for the espionage on short notice. ;D I wonder how that stuff was perceived by the other attendees? BTW, nice thumb ring. You have softer looking hands than I expected. :D

Thank You Sponsors!