The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Honda GX630 - No Start  (Read 457 times)

Offline mattgancz

• Share Post
Honda GX630 - No Start
« on: September 30, 2021, 08:59:59 PM »
Dear Forestry Forum:

I could use some help diagnosing a problem, and getting my sawmill up and running again.  Here is the situation.  I have an EZ Boardwalk Model 40 with a Honda GX630 engine.  The mill sat for about a month, and during that time I had some mice move into the air filter and all around the flywheel.  I went to start the engine yesterday, and it would not start. 

• The battery is charged, and when I turn the key to ON, the hour meter appears.
  • When turned to START, nothing happens. 
  • I was able to start it a couple of times by jumping between the solenoid and the starter with a wrench, but other times the starter just spins without engaging the flywheel.  I just get a Wizzzzzzzzz sound from the starter. 

The ignition switch is external to the motor on the EZ Boardwalk, and most of the wires seem to run externally between the switch and the starter.  I am trying to figure out if the mice have anything to do with the no start, or if it is just coincidence.  Where should I look next, and how should I diagnose?  I sat there with my multimeter feeling defeated today; I am hoping to change that with some Forestry Forum wisdom. 

Thanks in advance. 

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Honda GX630 - No Start
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 09:49:12 PM »
What are you getting for voltage at the starter during cranking? I suspect loose or dirty connection(s)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
Start with the easy to eliminate stuff.  +1 on check/tighten/clean the connections.  Next make sure that mouse nest material isn't stopping the starter gear from engaging on the motor flywheel.  It doesn't take much for the gear not to spin up into the flywheel teeth.  Cleaning that up may help.  A shot of light lubricant on the shaft the starter gear turns on won't hurt.  

Jumping the solenoid and getting the motor to turn over may be a sign the solenoid is bad especially if turning the key results in nothing but jumping the solenoid does.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »
First things first. make sure the little wire on the solenoid is getting 12 volts when you turn the key to the start position.. If not trace back from there.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
Thats the same engine I have on my mill so I am interested in the solution. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline KenMac

• I'm new, but don't feel so new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
If I'm understanding you right, the engine will start when you jump out the solenoid but not wit the key. Like was mentioned earlier start by checking for 12 volts at solenoid when key is in start position. If not then trace wires back to switch. Solenoid sounds to be ok. Problem is in controls it would seem. Good Luck!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB

Offline jrsloan1

• I'm new to the forum, but now to sawing and wood
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
The little wire Steve is talking about usually plugs onto a spade terminal. If it isnt connected or getting 12v, it wont engage the solenoid. Many time they are yellow. 
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
It can't start until it turns over. If it started by crossing the terminals I suspect your problem will be in the starter(solenoid) or the wiring leading to it. Since loose(intermittent) connections or shorts can be a nightmare to trace I would pull the starter and have a good shop check it. It is possible to fry one jumping it.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »

It's real easy to see if it has 12 volts coming to the solenoid when the switch is turned to the start position.  No sense in pulling the starter if it's not getting juice to the solenoid.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline mattgancz

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 07:10:51 AM »
Okay, so here is the last chapter in the story.  The starter was good, and the switch was good.  The mice were simply a coincidence.  On the EZ Boardwalk, the wire harness between the switch, the starter, and the voltage regulator run external to the engine.  The harness was wrapped in, what seems to be, an entire roll of electrical tape.  Upon unwrapping the harness, it was discovered that the electrical tape had trapped water and moisture, and corroded a crimped connection. 

So what is the moral of the story?  If you own an EZ Boardwalk, I highly recommend that you remove all of the electrical tape on the wire harness and replace it with a spiral wire loom that will let moisture out when it gets in.  While you are at it, get rid of the awful crimp connectors and replace them with soldered and shrink wrapped connections.

Off to saw pine that I am sure is blue by now.

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 07:34:52 AM »
 smiley_clapping
Nice that it was an easy cheap fix.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Honda gx630 replacing kohler 9.5

Started by HaroldSiefke on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 02:17:43 PM
by hamish
xx
ignition switch for honda gx630

Started by horseman on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 11:33:44 PM
by horseman