iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honda GX630 - No Start

Started by mattgancz, September 30, 2021, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattgancz

Dear Forestry Forum:

I could use some help diagnosing a problem, and getting my sawmill up and running again.  Here is the situation.  I have an EZ Boardwalk Model 40 with a Honda GX630 engine.  The mill sat for about a month, and during that time I had some mice move into the air filter and all around the flywheel.  I went to start the engine yesterday, and it would not start. 

• The battery is charged, and when I turn the key to ON, the hour meter appears.
  • When turned to START, nothing happens. 
  • I was able to start it a couple of times by jumping between the solenoid and the starter with a wrench, but other times the starter just spins without engaging the flywheel.  I just get a Wizzzzzzzzz sound from the starter. 

The ignition switch is external to the motor on the EZ Boardwalk, and most of the wires seem to run externally between the switch and the starter.  I am trying to figure out if the mice have anything to do with the no start, or if it is just coincidence.  Where should I look next, and how should I diagnose?  I sat there with my multimeter feeling defeated today; I am hoping to change that with some Forestry Forum wisdom. 

Thanks in advance. 

sawguy21

What are you getting for voltage at the starter during cranking? I suspect loose or dirty connection(s)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

Start with the easy to eliminate stuff.  +1 on check/tighten/clean the connections.  Next make sure that mouse nest material isn't stopping the starter gear from engaging on the motor flywheel.  It doesn't take much for the gear not to spin up into the flywheel teeth.  Cleaning that up may help.  A shot of light lubricant on the shaft the starter gear turns on won't hurt.  

Jumping the solenoid and getting the motor to turn over may be a sign the solenoid is bad especially if turning the key results in nothing but jumping the solenoid does.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

First things first. make sure the little wire on the solenoid is getting 12 volts when you turn the key to the start position.. If not trace back from there.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

That's the same engine I have on my mill so I am interested in the solution. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

KenMac

If I'm understanding you right, the engine will start when you jump out the solenoid but not wit the key. Like was mentioned earlier start by checking for 12 volts at solenoid when key is in start position. If not then trace wires back to switch. Solenoid sounds to be ok. Problem is in controls it would seem. Good Luck!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

jrsloan1

The little wire Steve is talking about usually plugs onto a spade terminal. If it isn't connected or getting 12v, it won't engage the solenoid. Many time they are yellow. 
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

stavebuyer

It can't start until it turns over. If it started by crossing the terminals I suspect your problem will be in the starter(solenoid) or the wiring leading to it. Since loose(intermittent) connections or shorts can be a nightmare to trace I would pull the starter and have a good shop check it. It is possible to fry one jumping it.

ladylake

It's real easy to see if it has 12 volts coming to the solenoid when the switch is turned to the start position.  No sense in pulling the starter if it's not getting juice to the solenoid.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mattgancz

Okay, so here is the last chapter in the story.  The starter was good, and the switch was good.  The mice were simply a coincidence.  On the EZ Boardwalk, the wire harness between the switch, the starter, and the voltage regulator run external to the engine.  The harness was wrapped in, what seems to be, an entire roll of electrical tape.  Upon unwrapping the harness, it was discovered that the electrical tape had trapped water and moisture, and corroded a crimped connection. 

So what is the moral of the story?  If you own an EZ Boardwalk, I highly recommend that you remove all of the electrical tape on the wire harness and replace it with a spiral wire loom that will let moisture out when it gets in.  While you are at it, get rid of the awful crimp connectors and replace them with soldered and shrink wrapped connections.

Off to saw pine that I am sure is blue by now.

kelLOGg

smiley_clapping
Nice that it was an easy cheap fix.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!