The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Too wide for me  (Read 1750 times)

Online Bindian

• Share Post
Too wide for me
« on: October 08, 2021, 05:53:41 PM »
I an not sure if this is the right place to post this.  I'm wide but I ain't this wide.  I am needing someone to help her out.  I got a call from a lady in Huntsville, Texas.  She has a Red Oak that needs to be cut.  It is around 46 inch diameter. 

If anyone wants to cut it up for her, send me a PM for her contact information.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Too wide for me
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 06:06:03 PM »
if it is almost 4 foot diameter, how long is it.  the 4 foot logs i have done are split down the middle (chain saw) and then put on the mill.  my cut width is 32 with a gantry width (4 post head) of 36 inches.  does she want boards?  or does she just want it gone.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 06:09:28 PM »

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »
if it is almost 4 foot diameter, how long is it.  the 4 foot logs i have done are split down the middle (chain saw) and then put on the mill.  my cut width is 32 with a gantry width (4 post head) of 36 inches.  does she want boards?  or does she just want it gone.
Doc,
         Looks to be around 40 feet in the photo.  She doesn't know what she wants.  She just wants it cutup.  Don't know if this lady got my number from Woodmizer or my business card.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 01:00:34 AM »
The angle of the picture could be fooling me, but using that rake for reference I don't think it is 46". Of course, I've been wrong before😊
Too many irons in the fire

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 02:05:14 AM »
The angle of the picture could be fooling me, but using that rake for reference I don't think it is 46". Of course, I've been wrong before😊
Hey, I'm just repeating what she told me when I was grocery shopping yesterday.
Y'all have at it.  I say no to her for my rig.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »
Brandi, itd be great for someone with a firewood fetish. Let the work commence!
Trying harder everyday.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
If i was retired, i would drive down for the fun of it (if my wife would let me)  and bring it home.  how far from you is she?  looks like fun!

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »
Doc, according to Siri its about 394mi.
Trying harder everyday.

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 12:08:53 AM »
It's Red Oak.  They are a dime a dozen around here.  Nothing special about it.  When I cut firewood and kindling for Mom and Dad's stove, I loved Red Oak as they split the easiest around here.
Besides, she has no clue how she wants it cut.  But she wants it cut.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
I would 'jump butt' about 3' off of the butt end and buck it to ~12' such as I did on this log.  LINK

The rest of the log is junk anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
MM why do you cut the butt ends off?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
To reduce the possibility of metal plus get rid of the root flairs.  (reduce chainsaw work)  Since I am only going to get one 12' log anyway, saw the best and leave the rest.  A 12' X 36" log is already exceeding my loader weight limit by 1K lbs.  Those too heavy logs are also a pain to turn.  :-X

Good Cherrybark Red Oaks usually will be 50' plus to the lower limb, but I very seldom see anything like that with the Water Oaks shown here and in my link above.  They are generally 'one log' trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »
I would go about that log a little different. I would leave the butt end on unless I seen mineral stain indicating metal. I would then go for a couple of logs. 8', 10', or 12' long, or any combination of them. If you are reaching the capacity of your mill, weight wise, then make the butt log the shorter one. I do have the advantage of lots of experience in turning over weight logs because of all the 40' timbers I used to make.  I agree that this water oak might be more trouble than it is worth as they tend to produce poorer lumber. Especially when you get up to the larger knots.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »
I agree that if you can get two 8's etc, then go for it but based on the picture plus the dimensions that Brandi PM'ed me before she posted this topic, I would buck off 3' and try to make a 12'.

Each log is an individual and will generally tell you how it wants to be sawed.  Here is a 43" butt log that I only squared up:  LINK

Offline Pepe_Silvia

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
I'm with barbender, I don't think it's 46".   I measured the handle on my similar leaf rake and it was 44".

If you get the impression she's willing to pay for it I could drive down from Plano and cut it.  I've got an LT15Wide.  I'll shoot you a PM after I get done posting this.

If she's like the vast majority of my customers she'll just want it flatsawn into slabs.

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
Each log is an individual and will generally tell you how it wants to be sawed.  Here is a 43" butt log that I only squared up:  LINK
I agree one needs to listen to the log especially big uns.  But more and more I get tired of what I am hearing from them.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline charles mann

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 05:21:21 PM »
If she's like the vast majority of my customers she'll just want it flatsawn into slabs.
When i spoke with her, she didnt know what she wanted to do. She said i want it cut up, which i asked if that meant into rounds/cookies, slabs or dimensional lumber and she said, i dont know, i just want it cut up
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »
That means rounds to me. Sounds like more conversation is needed. Cut up to get it out of the yard?  Cut up to burn herself?  Sawed up for lumber or slabs?  She just needs a little handholding. Probably a very nice woman without a lot of logging experience. 

Offline charles mann

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 06:15:09 PM »
That means rounds to me. Sounds like more conversation is needed. Cut up to get it out of the yard?  Cut up to burn herself?  Sawed up for lumber or slabs?  She just needs a little handholding. Probably a very nice woman without a lot of logging experience.
I went over that with her and she still didnt know. I recommended 2 places with saws capable of handling that big of a tree and that offered pick up services. She also didnt know size or lengths of the bucked logs, just know the logs were as big as in the pic. She also sounded like she didnt have time to talk about what her end goal for the wood was except maybe furniture, but i dont really know. A lot of i dont knows. I even offered to drive down to talk more a few days after i got hm from work, which is today, and she didnt seem interested. All she knew was she wanted it cut up. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 09:02:20 PM »
Well thats a puzzle for sure. Makes it pretty hard to help I reckon. 
HM126

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
She is a handful.  She didn't want to email, just text.  I prefer email.  I texted her that I would come look at it after I get the sawmill fixed.  I am still having rpm fluctuations.  Gonna change the line with the sqeeze bulb on it and leave the squeeze bulb off.
                          hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 11:45:15 PM »
I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Reminds me of the lyrics to an old polka. I think it went: "I dont want her, you can have her, she's too wide for me, she's too wide for me".
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:21 AM »
I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
I don't need the log.  I had told her on the first call she needed to bring it to me to saw it.  Only thing I have promised or told her is I will come look at it when I finally fix my fuel problem.  If she is as difficult in person as on the phone..................It's a firm NO from me.  I don't know what the size really is.  She told me on the phone and I gather some redneck told her the size after he cut it down.  He probably didn't even have a tape measure.
                   hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 01:17:52 AM »
It looks like a good one to just forget about.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline VB-Milling

• Always learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 07:14:21 AM »
It looks like a good one to just forget about.

^this

People like this exist in all types of industries that provide services from lawn care to internet provider.  From the sound of things already, no matter what level of hand holding or quality service you provide, she'll never be happy.  Whatever is suggested, the end product will be wrong.

Seeing that she has no idea what she's going to do with the wood, she's no woodworker and doesn't have a close relationship with any.  My guess is, someone casually suggested the lumber market, top dollar, you could probably sell that, yada yada yada.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
It certainly is.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
 Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »
Well if she doesn't have a place to air dry it, and the ability to move it later, it's kind of a moot point.  If she does, great.  If not, firewood.  And you really need to have a purpose before cutting.  Either slabs or quartersawn from the butt log if it's good enough.  The good quality is that the log is big dia., which is why I'd say slabs or quartersawn.  I would rather cut smaller logs for flatsawn boards if that's the goal.  If someone knew the market there, they could tell us if it's worth having it sawn into slabs or slabs and qsawn and if they could sell it Green and be ahead?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Pepe_Silvia

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »
Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK
What do you see that makes you think Water Oak?  Hoping to learn something...  I had it pegged as a Shumard Red Oak, primarily because of how prolific they are around here compared to Water Oak.  
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:57 AM »
Shumard oak bark is generally more deeply fissured and has wider more prominent silver streaks.  Water oak bark is usually tighter and not deeply fissured, and if it has silver streaks, they are thinner and not as prominent.  So, if you had to bet, the bark is more typical of water oak which is very common and prolific in that part of the world.  It is not out of the question that it is shumard, but the best money is on water oak.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Bindian

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 02:09:34 PM »

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
 Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
It's only about a 15 mile drive. I'll pick a nice day.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »
If it was anywhere near me, i wouldn't mind!  :D

I think what i like is cherrybark oak. The guy told me it was red oak. But the branch bark looked like carpinius. I love the banana smell when splitting. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline burdman_22

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 11:35:23 PM »
If I was closer I'd have a go at it. Here are a couple pictures of a red oak my dad and I started milling this past weekend. (people make better references than rakes...my dad is 5'8 )

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LT15 Wide, LT70 Wide, where's the Wide Edger?

Started by Dave Shepard on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post March 25, 2018, 11:53:41 PM
by Darrel
question
what mill to buy? lt15 wide or lt40 wide

Started by markymark on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post January 28, 2019, 07:58:32 AM
by stanmillnc
xx
Wide plank flooring...how wide can I go?

Started by lshobie on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post January 13, 2016, 08:34:59 PM
by Rob in NC
xx
WIDE

Started by John S on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 06:11:10 PM
by tawilson