iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Single best purchase to aid your work?

Started by Daburner87, October 10, 2021, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Back when I started it was the mud saw [Cornell log cleaner] The metal detector was another great.

BandsawBen

I

I just got this 1700dl  Hardy log loader. Iam hoping it will work as well as i think it will. I have been using a 50 hp kubota to move everything, although it works great, i seem to always have it on it knees. Iam currently mounting an engine and pump to make it self powered. Just waiting on parts.. Its hard to say what the best addition has been, probably the hydraulic lt40.

customsawyer

I will say that it doesn't matter how much rolling stock you have you will always need more. Or chainsaws. There is another skidsteer and a forklift on the far side of the tractor. Everything except the forklift has quick coupler for bucket and forks.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Quote from: customsawyer on October 12, 2021, 05:55:41 AM
I will say that it doesn't matter how much rolling stock you have you will always need more. Or chainsaws. There is another skidsteer and a forklift on the far side of the tractor. Everything except the forklift has quick coupler for bucket and forks.

Impressive 
Your not playing around :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

HemlockKing

Quote from: customsawyer on October 12, 2021, 05:55:41 AM

No SXS or atv!?  ;D
A1

Southside

Those are just the ones he uses to build bon fires with.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Daburner87

Some of you have some serious pieces of equipment, but if you have a farm its expected I guess.   I only have half an acre property, some of those machines would be overkill, a forklift would be great.  A skid steer be far better but the prices are out of my budget.  Where do you guys find your equipment? Craigslist is pretty much my go to place and prices are crazy.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

VB-Milling

Quote from: Daburner87 on October 12, 2021, 08:40:34 AM
Some of you have some serious pieces of equipment, but if you have a farm its expected I guess.   I only have half an acre property, some of those machines would be overkill, a forklift would be great.  A skid steer be far better but the prices are out of my budget.  Where do you guys find your equipment? Craigslist is pretty much my go to place and prices are crazy.

You have to expand way outside Craigslist to find the best deal (or any deal in some cases).  Offerup, Ebay, Machinetrader, local/regional/national auctions, just to name a few.

The right deal will come along...eventually.  Sometimes you hit a homerun, sometimes you pay retail depending on whether you can wait or not.  Many of the folks on here have businesses and they have to have the equipment.  Some of us don't need it and want it for convenience and can wait for the right deal.

One of the greatest lessons I learned long ago regarding procuring equipment (woodworking, metalsmithing, milling or otherwise), make it part of as many conversations you can.  You never know who knows of someone who's looking to get rid of something.
HM126

SawyerTed

Occasionally stopping by an area equipment dealer who takes trades or otherwise buys and sells used machines has helped me find what I've been looking for.  When they've got an idea of what you are looking for they'll call if something comes in. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

Quote from: SawyerTed on October 12, 2021, 10:36:32 AM
Occasionally stopping by an area equipment dealer who takes trades or otherwise buys and sells used machines has helped me find what I've been looking for.  When they've got an idea of what you are looking for they'll call if something comes in.
Absolutely. I would say this is a must when looking for a forklift. Usually there's a compny in the area that specializes in forklifts both new and used. They can be very helpful and usually have a good selection of used stuff that has been serviced. 
HM126

Quebecnewf

Best piece of equipment I own . Small portable gas powered capstan winch .it's been a game changer for us . There's no way we would even still be logging and sawing if not for the winch .

Best money I ever spent 

Quebecnewf

HemlockKing

Quote from: Quebecnewf on October 12, 2021, 04:41:58 PM
Best piece of equipment I own . Small portable gas powered capstan winch .it’s been a game changer for us . There’s no way we would even still be logging and sawing if not for the winch .

Best money I ever spent

Quebecnewf
Can we get pictures of this unit? Never heard or seen of one
A1

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

charles mann

Quote from: HemlockKing on October 13, 2021, 12:18:12 PM
Best piece of equipment I own . Small portable gas powered capstan winch .it's been a game changer for us . There's no way we would even still be logging and sawing if not for the winch .

Best money I ever spent

Quebecnewf
https://www.baileysonline.com/portable-gas-powered-capstan-pulling-winch-gxh50-pcw5000-pcw5000.html
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Durf700

I have a new kubota MX 5400 cab tractor with igland log grapple, root grapple and a set of forks. traded in my 03 TC 45 new holland just because of age, but it did just as well as the kubota.   I went this route so it can be used on my property for everything from skidding logs, clearing brush, brush hogging ect...

I use the log or root grapple 99% of the time so I can gently sit the log right onto my LT 35.  I prefer this so it doesnt rock onto the mill or bang onto it with forks. 

but yes..  my tractor with grapple is a must have for the mill.  I would not have a sawmill if I didn't have a tractor and grapple.   if I had the money to just throw out I would say an articulating small loader..  maybe 60 yo 75 horse would be perfect.  skidsteers work great, I just dont need a dedicated piece of equipment for part time milling and the tractor can handle all the logs I have cut so far up to 20' long.

OlJarhead

I use a tractor with a skid steer front end that I can use forks on.  it's awesome 
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Stephen1

CBN BMS250 auto Sharpener and Setter. x 2
TCM forklift would be next
Then my 10,000 lb 24' beavertail trailer
Oh I can't forget the brand new LT40HD Wide, compared to my 1992 LT40HD what a great upgrade. I am only ever shut down for maintenence now, compare to fixing the old girl on the road every month time. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Quote from: HemlockKing on October 13, 2021, 12:18:12 PM

Best money I ever spent

Quebecnewf
novajack.com

Resonator

QuoteI have a new kubota MX 5400 cab tractor with igland log grapple, root grapple and a set of forks.
Durf700 what do you have for a 3rd function hydraulic valve on your tractor (aftermarket kit)? My MX5800 did not come with one, and I want to add it for running a grapple.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

btulloh

The dealer can install the third function valve. Probably costs more than buying the 3rd party kit but it's an independent circuit and not just a diverter. I had the the dealer install the third function valve and two sets of rear remotes when I bought the mx5400. I'm betting the mx5800 has the same plumbing.
HM126

Resonator

At the time I bought my tractor, the dealer said I would have to buy the backhoe (BH92) attachment also to get the extra hydraulic valves. That was 5 years ago, just wondering if it is an option now, or what aftermarket setup was used.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

btulloh

The third function and remotes are kubota options but dealer installed on the 5400 and 6000. Don't know about the older models. I guess a call to the dealer could clear that up. I'm sure there are 3rd party sources for all those if you feel adventurous- or can get Mike Belben to come visit. 
HM126

beenthere

Possible that there is a kit for the 3rd function addition? 
That was the easy way to add a 3rd function to my Deere.. came with everything needed and good installation directions.
Now am looking to add a diverter to that 3rd function for the Thumb that I added to the forks. Don't like switching hyd. hoses at the rear from the 3pt top arm to the front Thumb. Lazy is part of it, but often want both working when doing a job cutting and moving brush and trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

btulloh

Summit Hydraulics offers a complete kit with instructions. Quite a bit cheaper than a dealer install. Looks like it uses the power beyond port. I think they have rear remote kits as well. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!