iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking b20

Started by Northerpike, October 26, 2021, 10:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northerpike

So I just found a b20 with log loader for sale. He's unsure about age of Mill or hours on it. I've tried to find spec sheet form TK but no dice. What should I be looking at when I go see it this weekend? What are people's biggest complaints with the mill? Any info is appreciated.

Southside

@Will_Johnson can probably provide you with some answers. @doc henderson and @Larry are TK owners who can chime in also.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

I have a 2007 B-20.  That model was made for a long time and there were changes over the years.  I would be glad to chat with you about the strengths and weaknesses of my 
B-20 if you PM me.  They are very reliable mills.  Another member on here has an older one that has over 15,000 hours and still working every day.

There should an ID plate on left side of the lower frame, as you stand at the control station.  May have to get down on your knee to see it.  Get the serial number and TK can tell you what year it is, perhaps what parts have been ordered for it, and may be able to get you an owners manual if the current owner doesn't have one.  They have provided excellent service to me over the years, even though I also bought mine used.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Will_Johnson

The most important question to ask is: does it cut wood?

This might seem like a smart aleck comment, but I get lots of call from guys asking about used machines. They know the year, the hours, the serial number. Lots of info. But when I ask them, they don't know if it actually works.

And low hours is probably not a good thing -- worst thing for a piece of equipment is to sit.

The owner should at least be able to show you that the head rig runs back and forth on the frame, saw head raises up and down, and that the engines run and the hydraulic features function. But hopefully there's also a stick of wood around to where you can actually make sawdust.

If he can't show you these things, that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the mill. But you'll do so knowing you've bought a fixer-upper. And fixer uppers almost always turn out to need far more time and money than you could possibly have imagined.

Think in terms of a vehicle: would you buy a truck that's not running? If you're passionate about the brand and want a project, you might. If you want to haul stuff next weekend, you probably wouldn't.

In the specific case of the B-20, we still carry a fair number of parts for it. And most hardware items etc are off-the-shelf. But with that said, because the mill has been out of production for 12 or 13 years we make and source the parts in very small quantities. And that means they're expensive.

I would also suggest you run the serial number by us before buying. You want to be sure the seller doesn't owe on it (unlikely with a mill this old) and that it's not on our database of stolen mills.

You can feel free to call me (800-942-4406) or email me directly (wjohnson@timberking.com) if I can be of any help.

alan gage

I bought an old B-16 that had sat unused, outside, for about 12 years. It was so old Timberking couldn't tell me how old it was when I gave them the serial number. Many of the parts had been upgraded over the years and were no longer available from Timberking (old style chain turner with farm chain, belts were the wrong size, blade brake was old style, bearings for drive and idler pulleys, blade rollers, etc). Thankfully none of the parts are fancy and I was able to easily (in most cases) make the upgraded parts work (brake) or I was able to source belts, bearings, chain, etc from a good local farm store or the internet. I bought cooks adjustable roller guides and made support brackets for them.

No real complaints on the mill. Has been cutting well for a few years now.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!