iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Cost to and from WM resharp

Started by widetrackman, November 21, 2021, 09:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Anyone have any late info on cost to ship a 158" 10 band box to a WM resharp location. I am in north Mississippi and I think WM say they have a location in Kentucky. Is that outfit a job shop or a WM dealer and are they ok?

Magicman

I send mine to the Wood-Mizer Resharp center in Newnan, GA.

Sharpening a box of 10 ($82.50), shipping both ways ($39.00),  a new shipping box ($4.62), plus tax ($8.83) is $134.95.

I do not see a resharpening location in Kentucky.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

My resharp cost is in the same ball park as MM's.  The resharp process is so simple: package up the dull ones, put on the furnished label and give them to a UPS driver or UPS store.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

widetrackman

Quote from: Magicman on November 21, 2021, 10:50:22 PM
I send mine to the Wood-Mizer Resharp center in Newnan, GA.

Sharpening a box of 10 ($82.50), shipping both ways ($39.00),  a new shipping box ($4.62), plus tax ($8.83) is $134.95.

I do not see a resharpening location in Kentucky.
Thanks Magicman. Is the box the large square one? $39 round trip is reasonable however every time I go to UPS they stick it to me. Is there anything special I need to do to get those rates? BTW I just checked WM site they show 2 facilities in KY why 2? however Newnan is closest to me. Do you put plastic banding on box like they had originally?

widetrackman

Quote from: Sixacresand on November 21, 2021, 11:35:26 PM
My resharp cost is in the same ball park as MM's.  The resharp process is so simple: package up the dull ones, put on the furnished label and give them to a UPS driver or UPS store.  
Where does the furnished label come from?

Sixacresand

Quote from: widetrackman on November 22, 2021, 12:40:48 AM
Quote from: Sixacresand on November 21, 2021, 11:35:26 PM
My resharp cost is in the same ball park as MM's.  The resharp process is so simple: package up the dull ones, put on the furnished label and give them to a UPS driver or UPS store.  
Where does the furnished label come from?
The label is usually with the paperwork that comes in the box from Woodmizer, both new blades or resharps/
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

firefighter ontheside

I believe when I set up for my first re-sharp I called WM and they sent me a label.  After that a new label always came with my blades when they returned to me.  I had someone local sharpen my blades the last time though, because the re-sharp in Missouri quit doing it.  I had to send my blades to Indiana.  It took a lot longer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Quote from: widetrackman on November 22, 2021, 12:40:48 AMWhere does the furnished label come from?
Yes, call Wood-Mizer and ask for Resharp South, (Newnan) and they will send you labels.  You can use the original flat box for your first shipment or you can get a 'cube' box from U-Haul which will work.  It's about 18" X 18".  They will return your blades in a cube box that is much stronger than the U-Haul box.

I had the blade box charge on my above example because my box had grown weary and needed replacing.

My last Resharp turnaround was 10 days so they have worked out of the Summer rush.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

When I was using Resharp, the Auto Fill/Auto Replace programs helped me maintain my blade inventory.  Both should be considered when sending blades for Resharp

The Auto Fill will send a full box back no matter how many blades you send in to be resharpened and no matter how many are rejected.  So if you send 12 blades in, Resharp will send 15 blades back by making up the difference with new blades.

Auto Replace, replaces rejected blades with new.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

CCCLLC

My last shipment to GA  resharp, received no autofill/ replace. Three weeks ago. 

kantuckid

I'm in KY and always use Piper's Saw out of Central City, KY (which is very close to Mammoth Cave NP) and a WM blade service center, plus other brands. They are a larger saw shop with many services beside bands. I've also used them for 20" planer blades. I also buy new Lennox blades when I have mine sharpened-not WM blades, which I still run some older ones on hand. 
I never ship mine to them as they run service box truck to larger mills in KY and elsewhere in their large region. I call to find out when the box truck will be in my area (Morehead, KY and more) then meet him at his motel in city where we grocery shop that evening. I then get a heads-up msg. as to when I can pick up my blades a week or so later in the same manner. I only saw for myself so time isn't a large concern.    
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Dave Shepard

I use reinforced packing tape, and plenty of it. Usually four pieces on each edge. I used the flat pack boxes. No need for the plastic strapping.
I shipped three boxes early October. Early November I got an email saying they were received on 10/18. Still waiting. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

booman

CCCLLC,  I too have had a box from Ga.  not containing replacement blades.    They said this is because they dont have the blades to replace with.  I have the LT15 WIDE and these blades are a little harder to come by.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Magicman

Auto-fill has not replaced a rejected blade for me in several months.  Just the blade shortage thing and the blades being used to fill orders rather than rejects.  I expect this to correct itself when the 'pipeline' gets full again.

OlJarhead

yup, same problem here in the west.  last time I did the math on resharp the total cost was about $10/band now.  But I only do boxes of 15 as part of the deal
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crossroads

I didn't realize it, but I still had a couple of labels that were in the blade boxes that came with my first mill. That guy was from Texas and I have no idea where he got the mill. Anyway, I wasn't paying attention and grabbed a label and stuck it on a box heading to resharp. After about 6 weeks, I started calling to find out when I was getting my blades back. Turns out, the label was for a resharp somewhere in the Midwest that was no longer sharpening blades. After I called, they shipped them to Indy and I eventually got them back. After that I went through my labels and discarded a couple that were not shipping to Portland. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!