iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucus dedicated slabber and the results.

Started by customsawyer, December 04, 2021, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Had a customer bring in some live oak from Louisianan yesterday for me to slab. The base we made some big cookies out of but I didn't get any pictures. The next cut up the tree had me at max height of the slabber due to the fact I don't like to bend over so have 12x12 blocks under the log.

These next ones are a red oak table that was built from slabs cut about 4 years ago. The base is some white oak. I think the customer that built this done pretty good.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

That's big hunk of wood.  How long did it take to slab to up? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

I only made 3 cuts on it yesterday. Have the rest of it to do for breakfast this morning. The customers wife videoed the last cut in the picture and it took 6 minutes for the whole cut. I thought that was pretty good in live oak due to how hard it is.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Runningalucas

Thanks for posting the pics, can't wait to see more of this.  I really want the slabbing bar for mine, but I just don't have access to logs large enough to justify the expense...  Nice to see this.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Stephen1

I have a neighbour up the road that I take any extra large logs too. He has a peterson swing mill he puts the slabbing bar on. I wish it was a dedicated slabber. What he ends up charging me always make me think I should buy my own dedicated slabber. I understand they are geared different so cut faster than a swing mill with a bar on it.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

customsawyer

Here is a pic from each side of the trailer to show how many slabs we got. All in all it I don't think it was to bad. It took a total of 3.5 hours and 5 saw chains as 3 of the chains got introduced to a dog chain including the clip/snap at the end. I probably could have done it with 3 saw chains if it hadn't been for the metal. The largest cuts were 68"x8'.

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Depending on how bad the strike is. 2 of these I'll be able to just sharpen. 1 is garbage so he got to buy it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Crossroads

I wish you were closer, I had a customer a few weeks ago that had a black walnut that was about 8' long 45" on the butt and 63" at the crotch. I told him we could quarter it and get it on the mill, but it would destroy the value. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on December 05, 2021, 11:18:43 AM
Depending on how bad the strike is. 2 of these I'll be able to just sharpen. 1 is garbage so he got to buy it.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Well like the old saying goes. Give a lazy man a job and he will figure out a easier way to do it. Since I'm short handed around here and having to do a lot of different task by myself. I had to come up with a easier way to get the Lucus through the log. I added a boat trailer winch to the top of the frame by the engine. Then ran the rope through a pulley tied to my tractor and back to the frame opposite the engine. It's not perfect as I probably won't be able to use it when the mill is all the way up, but it sure saves the back when you can use it.

www.thecustomsawyer.com

burdman_22

What diameter is this log and how thick is that slab? Looks awesome

customsawyer

That log is 46" diameter on the butt end and 36" on the small end. These slabs are being cut at 3 inches thick. 16' long.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mike_belben

Awesome.  I like the first guys spartan concrete kitchen studio man camp kinda place there. 

How do you like that small mouthed grapple rake?  Does it grap all size logs well enough not to drop any?
Praise The Lord

Southside

Ha Ha HA!!! Mike - you need to make a trip to Jakes - there is no small equipment around his place.  Optical illusion from the size of the log. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

That is actually the largest grapple rake I have found for a farm tractor/skidsteer. I have that one and two others for my skidsteers. The one in the picture is made by Work Saver and is the best one I have found but it is to tall to work on a skidsteer due to its height interfering with the doors. I had to weld in some bracing and added longer stroke cylinders so get it to close all the way. I got it in 2006 and have worked the devil out of it. I saw them this past year at the Ag show in Moultrie Ga. and they make a little shorter one for skidsteers but don't recommend this model for them. I think I could make it work as you would just have to tilt it forward to get in and out.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Mike if you look in the last picture you can see that it is almost as tall as the front hood on the tractor. The tractor is a 6415 JD at 85 HP 4x4 so it is bigger than any of the 5000 series tractors.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mike_belben

no no, i dont mean the size at all, i was referring to the shape.  banana versus boomerang.  it is very much like my little deere grapple blade.  most people run a grapple that is more like a skeleton bucket, which i have never used. the type where one log just floats in the opening.   they fit a big mouthful of brush or several logs but dont look like theyd rootrake as well as the banana curved frames that keep the chisel tooth pretty close to the pivot point and front tire.   how many 12" logs will that grab without spilling any and will it take a huge wad of brush or will a lot fall out as you try to close on it?

Praise The Lord

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andries

Quote from: customsawyer on December 09, 2021, 06:05:18 AMWell like the old saying goes. Give a lazy man a job and he will figure out a easier way to do it. Since I'm short handed around here . . . 
Ha, that made me laugh!
Jake, 2022 is just around the corner - have you taken a day off yet this year?  😉
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

It will then deposit all that material efficiently onto a huge bon fire!  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Captain also posted on winching his Peterson.

Think he used bungee type rope to even things out.

Search on "slabberdrive" for three threads from 2010. Here's one.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=42031.msg607443#msg607443
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KenMac

Quote from: mike_belben on December 09, 2021, 09:28:43 AM
no no, i dont mean the size at all, i was referring to the shape.  banana versus boomerang.  it is very much like my little deere grapple blade.  most people run a grapple that is more like a skeleton bucket, which i have never used. the type where one log just floats in the opening.   they fit a big mouthful of brush or several logs but dont look like theyd rootrake as well as the banana curved frames that keep the chisel tooth pretty close to the pivot point and front tire.   how many 12" logs will that grab without spilling any and will it take a huge wad of brush or will a lot fall out as you try to close on it?

Mike I have an Everything Attachments Root Rake Grapple Shaped similarly to yours. It's rated for a 50 HP tractor and it will grip all you want and more' I much prefer it to the other style. I do wish it had independent clamps and might just modify it to that type. 
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!