iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carburetor for my Garret 15

Started by Moose@2, June 14, 2022, 11:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose@2

I'm looking for either a new carburetor or at least a rebuild kit for mine. I have an old Garret 15 with a 172 Ford gas motor. The carb is a Marvel Shebler big mouth but doesn't have any numbers on it. It probably had them on a tag at one time but that is gone. Ford used a million of these on tractors as did several other companies but the Marvel Shebler for the tractors is smaller. I found one that looked exactly like mine and bought it but it, as I said is smaller where it bolts onto the manifold and the air intake, other than that it would most likely work. Any help?
Glenn (pat) Robinson

B.C.C. Lapp

Sorry Moose I cant help you but there is likely someone around here that can.   Try posting this under the logging and forestry section or in the plan general section. Better chance of getting some good ideas there.   Maybe a mod can move it for you.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

EricR

Try foley engines or pitt auto. They will come up in a google search.  I have a couple of those carbs if I remember I will look at them for tags.

Moose@2

Thanks Eric, I am having a hell of a time finding one. Ford made a billion of these 172 industrial engines but most were used in farm tractors etc. not so many in Tree farmers which had the bigger carb.
Glenn (pat) Robinson

Gary Davis

my book has a number TF-5973 carburetor
                                  TF-6002 carburetor repair kit 

these are tree farmer numbers but it looks like the 134 and 172 used the same carburetor  but does      not say the brand of carburetor it is   

EricR

I have 2 of these engines. One has a marvel tsx -813. I don't know what that was from but when I got it it had an industrial style bell housing on it. Not anything a tractor would have.   The second I have was out of a timberjack skidder.  That engine got water in it and was stripped down a long time ago. In the pile of those parts which have not been touched in years There is one carb. The number is 367258r91. If you look that up its for an international 460 tractor.  Here's the kicker that is going to eat at me for weeks-I also own an international 460.  So is it or isn't it the one that came off that engine

Riwaka

There are online places like yesterdays tractors forums that have a sizeable number of people that are involved with old machinery. 

What is the 'go to' options now? Rebuilt used Japanese large motorcycle 4 cylinder electronic throttle bodies, Holley etc electronic carburetors for V8s?
Making an adaptor plate to fit another non-electronic carburetor.

Rebuild the current carb - 3D printing your own new carburetor gaskets, o rings, etc

Tom K

I used to have an old Gehl 4400 skid steer with a Ford industrial 172 in it. It can definitely be interesting trying to find engine parts for those. They put multiple carbs on them in multiple different configurations. As you've found out, not much from the tractor line carries over to the industrial line.

I would also recommend calling Foley Engines. When the owner was finished arguing with me about what I did or didn't have, he was able to find a carb rebuild kit for me. I don't remember what carb I had, and the kit wasn't 100% correct, but it worked. I know it wasn't a Holley so it was probably the Marvel.

I put a lot of time and money into that motor and was never really happy with how it ran. I've got a tractor with it's brother the Ford 158ci motor in it that has been much better. My local Ford/NH/Gehl dealer had an old parts guy that was a life saver for me as he working there in the 70's when the 4400 came out and could cross reference parts that he knew would fit.

I disliked that engine so much my recommendation would be to repower if possible.....

Moose@2

Thanks to everyone for your input, it's great to have a forum with so much info from so many folks. Relooking at my parts manual I see that I was not looking well enough. All I saw in my book was a huge list of part numbers, I feel like a bit of a dumb ass but I now see the exact numbers that Gary D gave me. The complete carb and the repair kit. That should do it. Thanks again to all
Glenn (pat) Robinson

Gary Davis

let us know how it works my 172 does not have a carburetor  8)not sure but  it might be because  its because its diesel  8)

Moose@2

Seems the Garret TF numbers are specific to Garret and don't cross reference with other numbers so don't seem to do me much good. Still looking. Thanks again
Glenn (pat) Robinson

C5C Tree Farmer

Try a carb kit for a Ford 800-900 tractor...192 cubic inch. Carb # tsx-977, tsx-966

h2ofwlr

you might try  harolds logging supply

John Woodworth

Do your self a favor and change over to a Zenith Carb. I fought the Marvel for years on my 10 that and electronic points eliminator will make a whole new machine for you.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Don P

From left field, is this the same as the late '70's 2.8 liter Pinto engine, if so would that carb work?

moodnacreek

The ford 172 is part of the engine family that replaced the flat head 4 cyl. tractor engine in the early '50's. They had a 134, a 172 and a 192 either gas or diesel.  Marvel carburetors in both large bowl and small bowl where used on the gas versions and you need to determine what yours is. These engines where in production until 1964 , all 4 cyl. ohv. Stiener tractor parts catalog has a page to help identify these carb's.  Kits, floats, needle and seats, gaskets and whole carb. assemblies are available. These parts are quite common.

Thank You Sponsors!