iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Box elder management small acreage

Started by johndough, September 11, 2022, 10:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndough

Hi Guys, I'm new the the forum this is my first post. My wife and I move to a place in the country a little less then a year ago we have just under ten acres of land a mix of forest and open pasture Roughly 3 or 4 acres each. My question is, walking through the woods we have a lot of oak, hickory, and some cherry amongst others but there are a lot of box elder amongst the under growth. I burn fire wood (OWB) and have read that box elder is okay. If I start clearing the box elder will also be beneficial to the less trashy trees? I know that box elders like to sucker when cut down. Should I make an attempt to get rid of the majority of them or just get rid of a few here and there where wanted and needed for fire wood.

Thanks
John

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Entirely up to you to take them as you feel they can be used. If you don't want them to shoot suckers back up, then treat the stumps to kill the new growth. 

You will know when you get enough of the work connected to staying ahead of the box elders. Some people enjoy the smell of box elder smoke, just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clark

Your location (state is fine) would help people give a better answer.

Based on how boxelder grows around here I'm guessing your property was all pasture at some point and when the cows left boxelder was the first thing to colonize. In all likelihood your forest should include a lot more of the oak, hickory and cherry. And probably some other species that are absent.

Since I have my biases I would wholeheartedly recommend cutting the boxelder (treat the stumps with Garlon or the equivalent) and getting more appropriate species established. Thirty years down the road you are unlikely to regret that decision.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ianab

Personally I wouldn't go on a specific mission to eliminate it, but put it as first on the hit list when collecting firewood each year, leaving the more desirable trees to continue growing. Box Elder is a type of maple, one of the lighter and softer ones, but perfectly "OK" as firewood. If you do that, and whack out some of the unwanted saplings that spring up, you can gradually change the makeup of your little patch of forest to more suit your wants, without making it look like a tornado has gone through. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

johndough

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as my location goes it's west central Wisconsin. My pasture kind of is in the middle of true property with woods saddling the edges. My ten acres would be a boarder opening for some of my neighbors land which is largely forest.

thecfarm

johndough, welcome to the forum.
How are you getting the wood out?
What kind of OWB you got?
I have an old Heatmor, bought it back in 2007. It's the old style.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

You may be interested to know that some birds feed on the seeds of box elder, Evening Grosbeaks are known to favor the seeds or buds. I have burned a lot of it and it burns up fast, but it kept the house warm. Best used in mild temps. Terrible to split; best to leave it big.

johndough

Quote from: thecfarm on September 11, 2022, 09:03:44 PM
johndough, welcome to the forum.
How are you getting the wood out?
What kind of OWB you got?
I have an old Heatmor, bought it back in 2007. It's the old style.
I'll probably size and haul back with the mule. My wood boiler is a classic cl6048 I'm new to the wood boiler seen.

thecfarm

That will make some nice looking trails.
Won't even be able to tell you was there.
We use to haul out wood on a trailer, when there was 2 of us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!