iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solenoid advice

Started by kelLOGg, September 11, 2023, 05:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have a Superwinch for loading/turning logs on my mill and one of the solenoids has begun to periodically "click" and not make contact. They have worked well for 18 years but perhaps soon it will fail altogether so I need to replace them. I thought this would be a simple matter but there are so many choices I've gotten frustrated. I have Ametek units but I can't find the exact models and the replacement choices are numerous and bewildering.

My winch operates on 12 VDC and draws 165 amps max. Among the many solenoids I have googled are 5 and 6 pin models. I assume the 5 pin uses the frame as ground and the 6 pin requires a dedicated ground wire but this is never explicitly stated. Also, I read that 2 solenoids are required for in an out - this is obvious particularly for the type I currently use, so are the 5 and 6 pin models two solenoids in one housing? Being used to the two I currently have makes the transition to 2-solenoids-in-one-package difficult and me ask such basic questions. So, please educate me and pass on a recommendation as to a reliable brand and how long you have used it. I would like to stay with Ametek but I can't find a dealer in nearby states and the company hasn't responded to my questions.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

21incher

Metal Case Solenoid Family
Click on the download link at the bottom in the literature tab and the 4201 specs are in the sheet. Contact them for an online distributor.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kelLOGg

Done that. Georgia is the nearest and did not get a response. Tried another state also to no avail. But I will give it another shot.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

charles mann

Look at golf cart solenoids. They are a high amp, continuous duty solenoid. There is a company in tx, forgot the name though, that sells high amp, cont. duty solenoids. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

Thanks, Doc. I've seen that QWORK in my search. Good to get your feedback on it. The 250 amp one will work for me and is so much easier to order than an Ametek.

doc henderson

great.  do not expect newer ones to last 18 years.  they just do not make them like they used to.  I have replaced mine once in the past 10years, and when I took it apart, the copper contact had burned though.  I think the heavier one may last longer for any application.  i have a resettable breaker that keeps me from frying stuff.  as you know also, as voltage drops, amps go up so keep that battery charged up.

I use an ON/OFF/ON toggle to go forward and reverse
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

12 V dc solenoids come in amp ratings and that is why some last and others don't.  The high amp ones are expensive.

doc henderson

yes, the 500 amp is about 30 bucks, and you save 12 bucks getting the 250 amp.  just depends on how long you want it to last, and how often you want down time.  I have a spare new in the box ready and waiting.

kelLOGg

Still, at $30 it is lots cheaper than some I saw - $400+ :o

doc henderson

love or hate Amazon, order in the next hour and it will be here tomorrow. :)

Gere Flewelling

I would try Surplus Center to find one. I bought one for my log loading winch last spring that works great for me. Took a week to get it. I think they may have the large individual solenoids like in your picture as well.  Those look like the continuous duty solenoids we used to use in ambulances and on fire truck hose reels. Made by the Cole-Hersey Company.  Good luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

kelLOGg

I ordered the 500 amper from Amazon. 

kelLOGg

and i installed it today.  It doesn't come with a wiring diagram and the on-line versions are both confusing and helpful so I experimented a bit and now all works well.

Thank You Sponsors!