iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

One night Danny and my wife and I were out having a steak and adult beverages.  Danny had seen my office but wanted another look.  So we stopped by and had another adult beverage.  Danny had to make a stop, so I photographed him coming out of my "library", I believe this was the last time Danny was here in Texas. (poor photo, did I mention adult beverages?)

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

Thinking of Danny this morning. We both enjoyed the movie Jeremiah Johnson and would quote it to each other when the opportunity arose. One quote we would throw at each other on a regular basis is "You've come far pilgrim".  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

The other day a customer showed me a photo of some kind of wood neither of us could identify, I couldn't even tell if was even a domestic species.  For years when something like this would happen, I would say "Hey, I know a guy, he knows every species and he can tell us what it is" and I would text the photo to Danny and "Mr. Big Words" would send back a definitive "I can see these blah, blah blah things and if you look real close I can tell that blah, blah, blah and so this is definitely from XXX tree."  So I'd shorten the dissertation down and tell the customer "My buddy says it's this and you can take that to the bank." :D :D

Me being a "rocket scientist", I am used to big words, but some of the nomenclature Danny used would twist my brain and literally go in one ear and out the other like a good dose of collard greens.  Whoosh, if you know what I mean.  I figured he was always doing that because he figured I could follow along, but nope, he was giving me too much credit.  I even told him once "Danny, you know I have no idea what you are saying" and he said "Sure you do!"  Nope.  Most of the time, I couldn't remember enough of the Latin he used to even Google it.  

Either way, when the guy came in to ask what species of wood it was, all I could say was "I have no idea" and that kind of left a hole in my day, thinking of WDH.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, you hit that on the head. Happens to me also. I'd be in the woods and spot something I had never noticed before and my first thought was how to get photos that Danny could work with so I could find out what it was. Then I remember and feel that same 'hole'.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

YH & OG:
Sorry to hear that you two failed Professor (or maybe DOCTOR) Danny's class.
However you most likely both did better than I would of.
From my vantage point Danny had time for all seeking wood related issues advice.
At Jake's last shindig I had brought two pieces of slabs that I had sawed for a fellow and asked Danny if he could identify it.  He agreed with what the owner had told me.  So now I can safely add sawing pear to my list of species sawed.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

I surely don't think we failed. I think we remained students and a good student listens and applies what they learn. Danny raised my level of knowledge and my ability to look for the details. A big kick in my day was when I could ask for his help, but offer up what I thought was correct and he would confirm it, as well as explain why I was right. It didn't happen often, but when it did I would smile all day.
 It's a true testament to the value he gave many of us that we miss him so in our daily lives. I never met the man, except in these pages, but I surely valued him, his humor, and knowledge.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

K-Guy

Even if he didn't teach you something, you were still left feeling richer for having contact with Danny. He's one of the few people I have never heard a bad word about.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

customsawyer

I don't think there was a single "project" that Danny didn't end up kneeling on the ground with a stick drawing in the dirt and slinging them big words around. Slider was the one that gave him the nickname "Big Words" and it stuck pretty good. Of course Danny earned it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

petefrom bearswamp

Like, I assume, all of us I have had Danny cross my mind every day in one context or another.
Only met him at the pig roasts and at Jake's but he left a lasting positive impression.
Did the man ever not smile when you had a conversation?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

Oh yeah, there was one time I made him so mad that he stopped talking to Jake! because I had pulled Danny's chain a little, and he mistakenly thought Jake did it!! :D :D :D  It was a great prank, especially when he started blaming someone else, and when I told Danny that I was the one behind behind it, he just burst out laughing because being mad wasn't his thing and he just said "That's just Robert!" and everything was good again.  Most folks who know me find out pretty quick that I don't mind pulling at people's soft spots, and there is a certain amount of "overhead" that goes with being friends with me. :D :D :D  Danny was a good friend and he just took me with a grain of salt and sometimes couldn't tell if I was joking or being serious.   :D :D

I think that's why he would quote Latin to me, to jerk my chain too, because for all I knew, he was quoting a cook book or instructions on how to bake cookies.  I had no idea what he was saying, and he knew it, and he would just keep on explaining the secrets of the universe in a language I couldn't understand, and he would just smile while doing it. :D :D  He could take it and dish it out, too.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

"Overhead", I like that😂 

The more stories you guys tell, the more I regret never being able to make it to a Pig roast or Jake's sawing shindig.
Too many irons in the fire

K-Guy

@barbender 

You have been missing out on meeting good people and some like Danny who are/were outstanding people.

Of course you even get to meet some like me and Jake too! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

barbender

The Good, the Outstanding, and the...Other😊

chet

@barbender 
yer only about a 5 hour jaunt on US2 west of me. And I'm about a 6 hour trip, (now dat I don't hafta drive 55 no more) ta da pig roast. So make plans. :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

My excuses become fewer all the time, Chet😊

Texas Ranger

rusticretreater

Nothing superfluous or intransigent in that epistle of conversational content.  Just sayin!  8)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Dave Shepard

He certainly didn't suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobia.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chet

All I can say is YUP  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV Sawmiller

I'm sorry he is not here to cheer on his Georgia Bulldogs. I think about him every time I see them on TV or I see them at the top of the rankings :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 04, 2022, 08:43:23 AMDid the man ever not smile when you had a conversation?

Well, at Jake's this past spring, Danny and I rode the golf cart thru my woods and he was giving me advice on the trees. It was cold that Sunday morning, like really cold for that time of the year. About half way thru the ride neither of us were smiling, but in the warm truck on the way back to Jake's, we thawed and he was smiling all the way to lunch!

customsawyer

I've seen a few times when we would be doing some sawing in the heat of summer and the heat could take the smile off his face. It would only last until he got in front of a fan.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Texas Ranger

Danny's birthday, have him on my mind and wish we could give him the day.  RIP, buddy.

SwampDonkey

Yep, he always wished me a happy birthday every year.  I just got reminded by a notification today off his FB account.

I appreciate anyone else sending me birthday wishes to by the way, just so you know about it. It does not go unnoticed. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

Thinking of my buddy today. I sure would like to still have him around. We always seemed to be picking on each other. I sure seemed to be leaning on him a lot.

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!