iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

“Honey Do” Hot Place

Started by SawyerTed, December 16, 2022, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

I tried to put it off.  I tried to get her to hire someone.  I tried to do just a little at a time. I tried to get her choose a less involved redesign.

All to no avail.  I'm in the Honey Do Hot Place!   

I'm having to remodel our master bathroom, bedroom and build a new walk-in closet!   

Aaagggghhhh!  I keep telling myself that I'll get through this.  I'm not too convincing.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

What does Red Green say? Something like, "guys, we're all in this together. I'll be pullin' for ya'."😊
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseherder

Is there a procedure expert around that likes to supervise and constructively criticize the project? :D

Resonator

Procede with caution, especially when close family and emotions are involved.  :-\
Couple tips I suggest:

Plan out as much of the project as possible.
Make a list of all the materials and tools required to complete it, and make sure everything is in stock and available. I'm on a committee overseeing a $$,$$$ bathroom remodeling job, the contractor started in July and is about 95% done, but not completely done (now December). ::)

Sub out anything you cannot do.
Depending on the size of the job you may have to hire a licensed plumber or electrician to do those parts of the project.

Seriously discus goals of completion date and budget cost, and have a plan as what to do if these run behind and go over (which they do). Watch your "plan" stays the "plan". Design changes and "scope creep" halfway through are guaranteed to throw the time and money plan out the window.

We're pullin' for you, we're all in this together! ;D smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

Resonator, agree with all your advice and thought it was intentional when you called em "couple tips". 😋
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Resonator

Suppose I could of said: "Things I've learned the hard way, money and pain are good lesson teachers." :D

SawyerTed

Resonator, agreed!  When she has all the advantages of not really needing me, it is a soft shoe dance for sure.   :D :D :D

We actually have all the fixtures on hand already.  Tile will be here next week.  The electrical is minor stuff.  Plumbing is relatively minor with the exception of rerouting a vent which will take some doing.  The demo is probably the biggest  part of the job besides tile.  

While I'm a 40 plus year veteran of remodeling jobs large and small, doing this in my own house while living here is the worst.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Wlmedley

Best do it now.Once you hit 60 things get a little harder to do each year.I just replaced my dishwasher and spent most of a day on a 2hour job.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

reride82

The best advice I can give is once you have your plan and materials on hand, send her away for a weekend or a week while you work. My wife hates construction, but loves a remodel if that makes sense. My last bathroom remodel she happened to be leaving town for the weekend and I was able to knock most of it out while she was gone. It significantly reduced the "little changes" that she tends to add that really slow up a project. Plus, she was much happier not having to live in the mess I created while mid project. I was able to clean up the mess during drywall mud drying and waiting for tile to set, so the house wasn't a disaster when she got home. A dump trailer is worth it's weight in gold during demolition as well.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Nebraska

I feel your pain, I am trying to wrap up an upstairs bathroom remodel before all the kids are back for Christmas break.   Waiting on my buddy the cabinet maker to get the top (wormy Hickory) mounted so I can finish the plumbing.... Started getting warm last week....I'm sure he's feeling heat on somebody's kitchen remodel.

SawyerTed

Quote from: Wlmedley on December 16, 2022, 04:28:24 PM
Best do it now.Once you hit 60 things get a little harder to do each year.I just replaced my dishwasher and spent most of a day on a 2hour job.
Bill, brother, I am 60!  I know what you mean!  Just demolishing half the drywall was an all day event.  Of course it is a lot cleaner than had I done this 20 years ago.   And 20 years ago all the demo would've been done today.   
I painted my first house inside and out for pay when I was 17.  There's no telling how many bathroom remodels I've done.  The last one was on a 1950s ranch style house.  The owners wanted it remodeled to have modern conveniences but with mid-century looks AND the bathroom had to be handicapped accessible!  Good googlymoogly was that a job!  It turned out great!  It is now an Airbnb.  They had me back to do the kitchen later. 
It's living in this job that's different.  It's hard to stop since the job is right here.  Plus the boss can talk about the job at all hours which means I have to listen.  :D

Don P

There was a potluck some years ago. All the wives were running around trying to hire each others husbands to finish their house  :D.

I came up for air for the night. It started with "Can you get out the Christmas stuff?" and then "With it out of here you can build those shelves and finish up in here, You said y'all were stuck with some red oak?  :D"

Southside

I hear the stripers have been hitting hard on the Outer Banks, just saying.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

SawyerTed:
An electric chainsaw or a sawzall could be your demolition friends.
Hope you have a very good vaccuum for dust pickup.
Wishing you the best considering you will have 24 hour supervision, unless you can send supervisor on a gofer mission.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Resonator

Ever notice the home-makeover TV shows typically put the homeowners in a hotel while the work is being done? ??? :o :D

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside on December 16, 2022, 07:12:51 PM
I hear the stripers have been hitting hard on the Outer Banks, just saying.  :D
Enjoy kicking a man while he's down much?   :D :D

47sawdust

I would start the project on Christmas day to make sure things got off to a good start. :snowball:
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SawyerTed

Tile arrived today!  

I'm not done with demolition. Emily has to finish moving out of her closet before I start sawing up the old fiberglass tub.  She's working on that this afternoon. Tomorrow I can complete demolition. 

I think by Monday I can start rough electrical and plumbing.  

Tile by mid week.  

The big question is on the double vanity top and sinks.  I won't take out the old until the new is ready.  Emily is ordering granite with sinks mounted underneath.  I will let the countertop company handle all of that.  That likely will be the last piece of the puzzle....as long as nothing changes! :o :o

SawyerTed

"Not SO FAST, Scooter!   You ARE going to remove the popcorn texture from the ceiling!  Aren't you?!?

Change Order One!  :o :D :D

Resonator

SawyerTed

Demolition is nearly done except for removing the popcorn ceiling.   

The area where the trash can is sitting was a closet, it is becoming a shower.  

The short wall was a wall and doorway that created a water closet for the toilet.  Emily wanted it opened up.  

The door on the right is Emily's closet.  It will remain.  In the bottom photo you can see the ladder in her closet. 

A 6' soaking tub goes where the old fiberglass tub-shower used to be (where the yellow vacuum is).

Everywhere you see insulation and studs will be tile and the floor will be tile.  I might sneak in some radiant heat in the floor but that's a surprise for Admiral Emily.

There will be new lights and a new vanity top.  

To the right of the built-in cabinet is the door to our bedroom.  

SawyerTed

Major progress the last two days.  

All the drywall is complete.  I will paint once the the shower pan is complete and all the backer board is installed.  

I only have to connect the tub drain and supply when I install the tub. All supply lines are in and tested and leak free.   Shower drain is complete except for the pieces to be installed with the second layer of shower base. So plumbing is basically finished.  

The wiring and thermostat for the heated floor has to be done.  The lights fans switches etc all are done. Heated floor system gets installed as part of the tile install.  

Hardie Board concrete backer will be done tomorrow after the first layer of the shower base has set.  I'll tape and mud the backer as I put in the first layer of thinset for the heated floor.   

I hope by the end of next week to be putting finishing touches on everything.  But we will see what works out.  I suspect the Doctor's closet will take some time.  

Southside

And we know the drywall dust is out of your hair.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside on January 05, 2023, 05:23:51 PM
And we know the drywall dust is out of your hair.  :D
:D There are few things more effective than electro-shock behavior modification at helping a man to remember his hat!  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!